Old 26-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Dave S

Default Coconut shells

I've cleaned out the fruit from a coconut and boiled the shell. I plan to
put this in my tank for additional shelter. Before I do has anyone any
experience of doing this. Any feedback most welcome.

TIA - Dave
---
Dave Scott
Hampshire, England

Beware spam trap when replying

Old 26-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Dave S wrote:
I've cleaned out the fruit from a coconut and boiled the shell. I plan to
put this in my tank for additional shelter. Before I do has anyone any
experience of doing this. Any feedback most welcome.

Sure, once it's clean the stuff id pretty much inert. No worries. I've
got a couple here I've been carrying around for about 20 years (don't
ask me what kind of idiot takes coconuts shell with him when he
moves).

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 26-02-2005, 09:53 PM
NetMax

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave S wrote:
I've cleaned out the fruit from a coconut and boiled the shell. I plan
put this in my tank for additional shelter. Before I do has anyone any
experience of doing this. Any feedback most welcome.

Sure, once it's clean the stuff id pretty much inert. No worries. I've
got a couple here I've been carrying around for about 20 years (don't
ask me what kind of idiot takes coconuts shell with him when he
moves).

LOL, the same kind of 'idiot' who keeps the wooden crates the aquariums
were shipped in (for my next move), and has a collection of several
hundred pounds of various types of gravel and rocks spread over a dozen
lined milk crates (rocks and gravel can get very expensive with big
tanks), and don't get me started on my spare parts boxes ;~).

I almost wonder if some fish wouldn't pick the coconut shell clean from
the inside?
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 26-02-2005, 10:23 PM
McEve

"Dave S" wrote in message
I've cleaned out the fruit from a coconut and boiled the shell. I plan to
put this in my tank for additional shelter. Before I do has anyone any
experience of doing this. Any feedback most welcome.

TIA - Dave
---
Dave Scott
Hampshire, England

Beware spam trap when replying

I've used coconut shells for as long as I've had fish. I take the coco out
of the nut, and give them a scrub, and that's it. Some catfish love to graze
of the hair, so I leave it on. It usually takes about 2 weeks and they're
smooth as a baby's bottom. Some people boil them before using them, but I
never did and has had no problems with that. Mind you, the boiling might be
a good idea

Old 27-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

JG wrote:
Let the shell dry completely.

No need
The coco fat is eaten by ancistrus etc faster than you can think

roy
Old 27-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Dave S

"Dave S" wrote in message
I've cleaned out the fruit from a coconut and boiled the shell. I plan to
put this in my tank for additional shelter. Before I do has anyone any
experience of doing this. Any feedback most welcome.

TIA - Dave
---
Dave Scott
Hampshire, England

Beware spam trap when replying

Thanks for all of your replies - as usual the info is most useful. One other
question: I've boiled the shell a number of times and there's still
colouring in the water. Is this normal?

TIA - Dave

Old 28-02-2005, 04:00 AM
JG

Could be messy and cause a lot of pollution in the tank - I'd rather eat it
myself.
"Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk" wrote in message
JG wrote:
Let the shell dry completely.

No need
The coco fat is eaten by ancistrus etc faster than you can think

roy

little empty shells on the lawn... DigitalVinyl Gardening 5 11-06-2003 09:08 PM
Happyness is Empty Snail Shells, Where Do they go? Kathy Gardening 5 25-04-2003 06:20 PM
Oyster shells Steve Galupe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:12 AM
Pecaan shells needed bobwhite Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Where can I buy a tonne of shells in the SW Gadget United Kingdom 1 13-11-2002 10:31 PM