Old 05-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Nikki Casali

Default Pregnant or ill shrimp?

Ooooooh! Can anyone point me to a photo of a "pregnant" amano shrimp?
Two of my shrimp look like they are brooding amongst the watersprite.
They have a grey mass between their legs. Maybe they're ill! Maybe
they're not! What do I do?? Shall I setup a brackish tank?

Nikki

Old 05-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Nikki Casali

Nikki Casali wrote:

Ooooooh! Can anyone point me to a photo of a "pregnant" amano shrimp?
Two of my shrimp look like they are brooding amongst the watersprite.
They have a grey mass between their legs. Maybe they're ill! Maybe
they're not! What do I do?? Shall I setup a brackish tank?

If this isn't an egg laden shrimp, I don't know what is!

www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/BroodingShrimp.avi

Nikki

Old 06-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Nikki Casali

Nikki Casali wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Ooooooh! Can anyone point me to a photo of a "pregnant" amano shrimp?
Two of my shrimp look like they are brooding amongst the watersprite.
They have a grey mass between their legs. Maybe they're ill! Maybe
they're not! What do I do?? Shall I setup a brackish tank?

If this isn't an egg laden shrimp, I don't know what is!

www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/BroodingShrimp.avi

Here's a web page instead of a direct download link:
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/Shrim...ingShrimp.html

Nikki

Old 06-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Hi Nikki

Baby shrimps......yummy!
It's quite a mission to set up a brackish tank for them and raise to
adulthood. Why don't you leave them where they are and see what happens. If
its a disaster THEN try with the brackish setup. If you move the adult now
with all the babies it might be too much of a shock for them. You would need
to get them a separate tank with exactly the same water params as the
original and then sowly acclimate them to brackish conditions. Not sure if
this ramble means anything to you, but there you go Good luck and please
post again, I'd love to see the babies. I'm in South Africa and have never
even seen a live shrimp before, we don't get them here! ...so I'll live
vicariously through your shrimp mission if you don't mind
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 06-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Elaine T

Happy'Cam'per wrote:
[...]

Amano shrimp are well known to not be able to reproduce in freshwater.
By all the accounts I've read, the babies are unable to form their
shells without salt and minerals and die within a week. Even in
brakish, losses are fairly high in hobbyist breeding reports. Agreed
that the aclimation to brakish probably needs to be slow and it may be
hard to do it in time for this round of eggs.

Nikki Casali wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Ooooooh! Can anyone point me to a photo of a "pregnant" amano shrimp?
Two of my shrimp look like they are brooding amongst the watersprite.
They have a grey mass between their legs. Maybe they're ill! Maybe
they're not! What do I do?? Shall I setup a brackish tank?

If this isn't an egg laden shrimp, I don't know what is!

www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/BroodingShrimp.avi

Here's a web page instead of a direct download link:
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/Shrim...ingShrimp.html

Nikki

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

One of my amano shrimp is pregnant :D Empty Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 10-03-2004 04:16 AM
Pregnant fantails???? rlb827 Ponds 3 26-06-2003 03:20 AM
? Tumor, or pregnant goldfish? BTC/TAK on ACK Ponds 3 09-06-2003 12:08 AM
Pregnant alligator plant? Lynn A. Gardening 23 10-04-2003 12:32 AM
Ill-looking Osteospermum Olivier.Lepetit United Kingdom 3 31-03-2003 10:56 AM