Old 25-05-2005, 01:54 AM
paul anderson

Default Plant lights

I have a 55 gal freshwater tank that i am trying to turn into a planted
tank. I am curious what is the best yet affordable lighting syatem that i
can use. And the same with Co2 and the kinds of fish I should keepin it.
Right now it is my Chiclid tank.

Old 25-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Shagster

Go for CF bulbs... I would start with (2) 96 Watt bulbs (6700k light
rating)... I had spare CO2 tanks around (beermister!), so I'm using
pressurized CO2 injection and think it works great and doesn't cost me much
at all...

My tank is stocked with tons of plants, and just some simple fresh water
community fish... Be sure to get 2 SAE's (the REAL ones), and plenty of
fresh water shrimp like Amano shrimp (Caridina japonica).

You'll also need to start thinking about fertilization for the plants as
well...and do yourself one more big favor... Use a true plan substrate for
the bottom of the tank... I'm loving the results since switching to
Fluorite..

Troy

Old 25-05-2005, 05:34 AM
djay

"paul anderson" wrote in message
I have a 55 gal freshwater tank that i am trying to turn into a planted
tank. I am curious what is the best yet affordable lighting syatem that i
can use. And the same with Co2 and the kinds of fish I should keepin it.
Right now it is my Chiclid tank.

For a 55 gal tank... You can build the canopy yourself and put 48"
fluorescent lights and a ballast pretty cheap. Google on "DIY aquarium
Hoods" and you'll find a ton of ideas. With over 2 WPG you will need to
consider pressurized CO2. Depending on how resourceful you are, you can get
a system for under $100 (I paid $45 for mine). I use playsand as a
substrate and it works great! I Fert with DIY mix and have lush growth.

Excellent points about the SAE and Amano Shrimp. You would also do well
with several (4-6) Ottos. If you do get the Amano Shrimp DO NOT fert with
KCL. I have found that it will kill them.

I have a wide mix of community fish. My 26 Cardinal Tetras are my favorite.

Old 25-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Happy'Cam'per

"djay" wrote in message

Excellent points about the SAE and Amano Shrimp. You would also do well
with several (4-6) Ottos. If you do get the Amano Shrimp DO NOT fert with
KCL. I have found that it will kill them.

I have Amanos and CRS in a tank that gets dosd with KCL and everyone seems
fine to me, no deaths.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

Old 25-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Richard Sexton

In article , Happy'Cam'per wrote:
"djay" wrote in message

Excellent points about the SAE and Amano Shrimp. You would also do well
with several (4-6) Ottos. If you do get the Amano Shrimp DO NOT fert with
KCL. I have found that it will kill them.

I have Amanos and CRS in a tank that gets dosd with KCL and everyone seems
fine to me, no deaths.

An excess of chloride ions will hurt ammano shrimp, whether it comes from sodium chloride
(salt) or potassium chloride (KCL, used as a plant fertilizer as a source of
potassium). While the plants use up the potassium all that chloride is still
in solution and build up if you don't keep up with water changes.

Ammanos live in freshwater in rivers, but when freshly hatched they
are swept downstream to bracksih water. While the adults cannot tolerate
brackish water the youg will die without it.

Now, Ammonia, even in very small concentrations, ie ANYTHING non-sero
will kill thme overnight.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 26-05-2005, 05:43 AM
djay

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
"djay" wrote in message

Excellent points about the SAE and Amano Shrimp. You would also do well
with several (4-6) Ottos. If you do get the Amano Shrimp DO NOT fert
with
KCL. I have found that it will kill them.

I have Amanos and CRS in a tank that gets dosd with KCL and everyone seems
fine to me, no deaths.
--
Kind Regards
Cameron

As always YMMV , however when I stopped dosing with KCL my amanos stopped
croaking.

Old 26-05-2005, 05:00 PM

I have shrimps in my tank as well crabs and a snail.
So what kind of fertilizer should I use for my plants now that I should
be getting soon a 110W system to my 33Gal?

I don't want to hurt the fish in any way because of the plants.
They can regrow, while fish only live once.

Old 27-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Pisces

What's the Amano Shrimp for? what are SAE,s and otto?
I am also trying to convert my 55gal tank to a planted tank. these are very
valuable information, but some of it goes by over my head.
thanks

Old 27-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Peter Demski

All of them are good algae eaters to keep your tank clean.
SAE: Siamese Algae eater(Crossocheilus siamensis)
Ottotocinclus

Check this webpage out near the bottom there is a section on algae eating
fish
with info on all of these that you might find helpful.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

I have the Ottos but haven't tried the SAE's or amano's yet(going to
buy some tomorrow actually). BTW welcome to the planted tank
world!

Hope this helps out a little

Peter

news

Old 27-05-2005, 05:52 AM
djay

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have shrimps in my tank as well crabs and a snail.
So what kind of fertilizer should I use for my plants now that I should
be getting soon a 110W system to my 33Gal?

I don't want to hurt the fish in any way because of the plants.
They can regrow, while fish only live once.

You can use any commercial fert available at your LFS or Mega pet center.
If you want to "roll your own" you will need the right concentration of
Nitrogen Phosphorus and Potassium. Each tank is a little different based on
water conditions, lighting, substrate, filterization, co2 etc. The goal is
to get just enough nutrients in the water column and/or in the substrate to
sustain and promote growth while not getting too much in the water column
and/or substrate to promote algae growth.

DJay

Old 30-05-2005, 03:36 AM
Pisces

Thanks alot I know the SAE I am just not used to the abreviations. I do have
a chinese algae eater for years now, he keeps my tank clean. but I guess
when i add more light he may not be able to handle the increase algae.
Pisces

"Peter Demski" wrote in message
. ..

All of them are good algae eaters to keep your tank clean.
SAE: Siamese Algae eater(Crossocheilus siamensis)
Ottotocinclus

Check this webpage out near the bottom there is a section on algae eating
fish
with info on all of these that you might find helpful.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

I have the Ottos but haven't tried the SAE's or amano's yet(going to
buy some tomorrow actually). BTW welcome to the planted tank
world!

Hope this helps out a little

Peter

news

Old 31-05-2005, 01:52 AM
djay

"Pisces" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

news

"djay" wrote in message

[...]

I've heard (never experienced) That CAEs get very agressive as they get
older. SAEs are very docile, IME.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:29 AM
Bill

"djay" Spaketh Thusly:

I've heard (never experienced) That CAEs get very agressive as they get
older. SAEs are very docile, IME.

I've had about a half-dozen SAE's, and they were all very peaceful - except
for those rare occasions when they felt like jumping. I lost one when it
jumped hard enough to actually push open the cover and get out. Found it on
the floor the next morning about 6' away from the tank.
But the exception that proves the rule.... an old big fat SAE in my 10G
kitchen counter tank, always well behaved, until I decided to move my tiger
barbs into that tank because I got tired of the abuse they heaped on the other
inhabitants of the tank they were in. It doesn't like them, chases them
around, butting them, good thing it can't bite they'd be dead. Basically acts
as nasty to them as they do to each other.
I figure they deserve it :-) And the SAE seems to be having fun. It's been a
year and no injuries on anyone, just a lot of action.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net
Old 01-06-2005, 02:29 AM
Pisces

My CAE is the opposite he was very aggressive when he was young now at 3yrs
old he is very calm he even allow everyone into his territory now. You can't
keep more than one per tank though.

"djay" wrote in message

"Pisces" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

news What's the Amano Shrimp for? what are SAE,s and otto?

"djay" wrote in message

[...]

Questions about plant lights Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 6 06-03-2012 06:38 AM
Plant Lights Barry Dmytro Orchids 7 16-02-2005 05:32 AM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-02-2003 01:54 PM
plant lights Iris Cohen Gardening 2 24-01-2003 03:29 PM