Old 23-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Bill Stock

Default Hornwort varieties?

How many varieties of hornwort are there? I can never seem to find it on the
Tropica site.

I bought some yesterday from PetSmart along with the three new Ottos and it
seems to be a different variety than the pond hornwort I've had before. It
has coarser, shorter needles than the pond hornwort and is much longer.

It's also turning yellow and I can't imagine why. Perhaps it's the water
temperature? It certainly isn't light or nutrients.

Old 24-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Dr.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
How many varieties of hornwort are there? I can never seem to find it on
the Tropica site.

I bought some yesterday from PetSmart along with the three new Ottos and
it seems to be a different variety than the pond hornwort I've had before.
It has coarser, shorter needles than the pond hornwort and is much longer.

It's also turning yellow and I can't imagine why. Perhaps it's the water
temperature? It certainly isn't light or nutrients.

Dunno if this is the issue or not...

The foliage on some plants seems to grow differently in different
conditions.
For example, I bought a couple of these bamboo-tree-lookin' things that I
thought looked cool at the store. Their tanks weren't as well lit as mine.
They started to fall apart on me... leaves slowly turning grey and falling
off. I pitched the worst of the two (too early it seems), then the other
started to recover and grow new foliage. The new stuff is a much lighter
green with broader leaves, and it's really bushed out a lot. None of the new
leaves have died yet.

Perhaps Hornwort grows differently in different light conditions. Mine is
growing so much that I think I'll bag some up and see if the LFS will take a
donation. Trade toward a couple more of the bamboo-tree-lookin' things would
be cool.

Gary