Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Crinkley Dahlia

The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
Crinkley Dahlia-dahlia-crinkly-m.jpg
Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams

Not my favourite group, they're on a par with chrysanthemums.

However, the shot of a single one, like this, shows their beauty. Well
caught - if you can please me with a dahlia you've done well!

Hmm - can't see the earwig ... :-)

Mary

Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.

If you really want some interesting varieties take a look at these US
sites...

http://www.dahlias.com/index.asp?Pag...ATS&Category=2 (350
varieties in Oregon)

http://www.dahlia.org/ (US Dahlia Society)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:

The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams

Very nice picture Bob! I grow a lot of Dahlias every year. Last summer
was the worst one that I have ever seen for them. It was extremely hot
and Dahlias just do not do well in very hot weather. I hope that this
summer is a lot cooler.

I have lots of pictures of my Dahlias he
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/dahlias1.htm
My favorite Dahlias are the two tone ones.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 07-02-2008, 04:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams
[Image]

Good shot. :-)
It's tricky to get a solid background like that.
--
Peace, Om

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain

Old 08-02-2008, 06:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bill R wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:

The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen
last year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams

Very nice picture Bob! I grow a lot of Dahlias every year. Last summer
was the worst one that I have ever seen for them. It was extremely hot
and Dahlias just do not do well in very hot weather. I hope that this
summer is a lot cooler.

I have lots of pictures of my Dahlias he
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/dahlias1.htm
My favorite Dahlias are the two tone ones.

WOW!
You are a real Dahliaphile.
You have as many varieties in your garden as I saw at the Dahlia show.
Very nice Pics too.
Bob
Old 08-02-2008, 06:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.

If you really want some interesting varieties take a look at these US
sites...

http://www.dahlias.com/index.asp?Pag...ATS&Category=2 (350
varieties in Oregon)

http://www.dahlia.org/ (US Dahlia Society)

JEEEEZZ!
I've never seen such a HUGE variety of Dahlias in my life.
I've never grown them before but I understand that they are VERY easy to
grow in San Diego. So, I'll give them a try.
Thanks for the URLs.
Bob
Old 08-02-2008, 06:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams

Not my favourite group, they're on a par with chrysanthemums.

True!
But they are VERY showy, come in a huge variety of colors and textures
and, I am told, they are easy to grow.
They should be an easy way to add color and drama to my garden.

However, the shot of a single one, like this, shows their beauty. Well
caught - if you can please me with a dahlia you've done well!

Thanks. I am actually more interested in creating dramatic images than I
am in growing the plants. My wife is more interested in the gardening
aspects. She has a green thumb and I have a brown one. :-)

Hmm - can't see the earwig ... :-)

Mary

Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams
[Image]

Good shot. :-)
It's tricky to get a solid background like that.

Thanks.
One neat way is to shoot the picture outside, at night, with flash .
Position the flower so there is nothing but empty space for 20-30 feet
in the background.
The flower will show up well illuminated with a black background.
Bob
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams

Not my favourite group, they're on a par with chrysanthemums.

True!
But they are VERY showy,

That's exactly why I don't like them :-)

However, the shot of a single one, like this, shows their beauty. Well
caught - if you can please me with a dahlia you've done well!

Thanks. I am actually more interested in creating dramatic images than I
am in growing the plants. My wife is more interested in the gardening
aspects. She has a green thumb and I have a brown one. :-)

I prefer to grow things we can eat :-) A January King cabbage in full colour
is a glory! Next time I have one I'll take a pic! I have lots of shots of
chard - enough colour for anyone. Same with the various tomatoes I grow.

Mary

Old 08-02-2008, 02:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:
Bill R wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob. Growing them is somewhat of a challenge here. Between the
weather and the bugs (Japanese Beetles) and the fact that they have to
be dug up each fall a lot of people think that they are too much work
around here. Some people grow them as annuals (EXPENSIVE annuals) but I
like to save mine each year. At least in your area, Bob, you can leave
them in the ground year round. The tubers do multiply and you will need
to split them up about every three years (or so).

Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

The nurseries in San Diego are putting out their bulbs for Spring
planting. I took a picture of this attractive and unusual specimen last
year at a Dahlia Show. Today I bought an assortment of bulbs that
included this one. I was astonished at how many different types of
Dahlias there are. Many do not resemble each other in the least.
Bob Williams
[Image]

Good shot. :-)
It's tricky to get a solid background like that.

Thanks.
One neat way is to shoot the picture outside, at night, with flash .
Position the flower so there is nothing but empty space for 20-30 feet
in the background.
The flower will show up well illuminated with a black background.
Bob

I've gotten similar shots taking pics right at dawn when I get home from
work, but I don't quite get that solid background. :-)

Well done! I might have to try that, but how do you get it to autofocus?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

[...]

Have someone shine a flashlight on it while you half-press the shutter.
This fixes the focus......Then turn off the flashlight and fire away.

You can also get some VERY interesting (if unpredictable) shots by
putting the camera on a tripod, Focus in Manual Mode and set the shutter
speed at say 15-30 seconds. Then PAINT the flower with a flashlight. For
those parts you want more luminous than others, leave the flashlight on
longer. The beauty of Digital Photography is that you can fool around
with different lighting situations and get instant feedback.
Bob
Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Bob Williams wrote:

[...]

And instant gratification. ;-) No waiting for the developer, and it
costs nothing but a little battery power to experiment.

Thanks for the flashlight idea!
--
Peace, Om

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain

[IMG] code is On

AD: Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 04-03-2003 12:15 AM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM
David's Dahlia Starlord Gardening 0 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM