Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Need I.D. Of Leaves

In San Diego, CA., some trees are just now turning Yellow, Orange and
Red and are dropping their leaves.
I picked up a few that had a nice progression of colors from Green to
Red. I like the way they look but have no idea what the tree is that
produced them. (I'm more into Photography than Botany).
The leaf bodies are about 3.5-4.5 inches long and the branches bear some
little 1/2" diameter balls.
What tree produces these leaves?
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
Need I.D. Of Leaves-leaves-cluster-4bm.jpg

Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

joevan wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:13:26 -0500, joevan
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 02:43:15 -0800, Bob Williams
wrote:

In San Diego, CA., some trees are just now turning Yellow, Orange and
Red and are dropping their leaves.
I picked up a few that had a nice progression of colors from Green to
Red. I like the way they look but have no idea what the tree is that
produced them. (I'm more into Photography than Botany).
The leaf bodies are about 3.5-4.5 inches long and the branches bear some
little 1/2" diameter balls.
What tree produces these leaves?
Bob Williams

They look like something I should know but don't. It is a nice photo
Though.

You might find your answer here if no one else answers.
http://www.arborday.org/trees/whattr...fm?ItemID=w65D

http://www.usenet.com

Thanks for the link, JV. It was very helpful.
I've narrowed it down to a Crabapple or a Catalina Cherry.
I'll do a little Googling from here.
Bob
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Garrapata wrote:
In San Diego, CA., some trees are just now turning Yellow, Orange and
Red and are dropping their leaves.
I picked up a few that had a nice progression of colors from Green to
Red. I like the way they look but have no idea what the tree is that
produced them. (I'm more into Photography than Botany).
The leaf bodies are about 3.5-4.5 inches long and the branches bear some
little 1/2" diameter balls.
What tree produces these leaves?
Bob Williams

crabapple?

That was one of my choices, along with the Catalina Cherry.
The Crabapple leaf is a little more serrated than mine but the fruit
looks very close to that on my tree.
OTOH, the smoother Catalina Cherry leaf looks closer to my leaf but the
fruit is redder than the fruit on my tree. Color may vary with age, however.
Bob
Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote ...
Garrapata wrote:
[...]

The fruit of Crab Apple varieties comes in all shades from greeny yellow to
deep red.
Google images will show you what I mean.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Garrapata wrote:
In San Diego, CA., some trees are just now turning Yellow, Orange and
Red and are dropping their leaves.
I picked up a few that had a nice progression of colors from Green to
Red. I like the way they look but have no idea what the tree is that
produced them. (I'm more into Photography than Botany).
The leaf bodies are about 3.5-4.5 inches long and the branches bear some
little 1/2" diameter balls.
What tree produces these leaves?
Bob Williams

crabapple?

That was one of my choices, along with the Catalina Cherry.
The Crabapple leaf is a little more serrated than mine but the fruit
looks very close to that on my tree.
OTOH, the smoother Catalina Cherry leaf looks closer to my leaf but the
fruit is redder than the fruit on my tree. Color may vary with age, however.
Bob

the Catalina Cherry is evergreen it's leaf is leathery and glossy and
doesn't change color. Cut a fruit in half, the cherry has one seed,
crabapple looks like a little apple.
--

09=ix
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Garrapata wrote:
Garrapata wrote:
[...]

AHA! Well that settles it.
A Crabapple it is!
I tasted the fruit and it has an interesting tart flavor.
Just the thing that would make a tasty jelly.
I have always heard of Crabapple Jelly but have never tasted it before.
Thanks for the heads-up on the two species.
Bob

Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:
Garrapata wrote:

[...]
the Catalina Cherry is evergreen it's leaf is leathery and glossy and
doesn't change color. Cut a fruit in half, the cherry has one seed,
crabapple looks like a little apple.

AHA! Well that settles it.
A Crabapple it is!
I tasted the fruit and it has an interesting tart flavor.
Just the thing that would make a tasty jelly.
I have always heard of Crabapple Jelly but have never tasted it before.
Thanks for the heads-up on the two species.
Bob

Just the thing to make hard cider out of... which is why Johnny
Appleseed planted so many apple trees. ;-)

--
Wolf Kirchmeir
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:
Garrapata wrote:

[...]
the Catalina Cherry is evergreen it's leaf is leathery and glossy and
doesn't change color. Cut a fruit in half, the cherry has one seed,
crabapple looks like a little apple.

AHA! Well that settles it.
A Crabapple it is!
I tasted the fruit and it has an interesting tart flavor.
Just the thing that would make a tasty jelly.
I have always heard of Crabapple Jelly but have never tasted it before.
Thanks for the heads-up on the two species.
Bob

Just the thing to make hard cider out of... which is why Johnny
Appleseed planted so many apple trees. ;-)

I hadn't thought much about Johnny's motivation, but it makes sense. :-)
Bob