Old 27-01-2009, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Plants: - Sedum-web.jpg (1/2)

Donn Thorson wrote:
2008
These are planted surrounding my pond...

Again Donn, why the super large posts? MANY if us would like to just
view your pictures without having to scroll up and down and right and
left to see the entire picture. Also, it would be nice if you could
post the entire picture in one post.

If someone desires to see a higher resolution version of your pictures
you could send it to them. Many of us just want to casually view the
pictures here and don't want (or need) the large images.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 27-01-2009, 04:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:07:08 -0500, Bill R
wrote:

Donn Thorson wrote:
2008
These are planted surrounding my pond...

Again Donn, why the super large posts? MANY if us would like to just
view your pictures without having to scroll up and down and right and
left to see the entire picture. Also, it would be nice if you could
post the entire picture in one post.

If someone desires to see a higher resolution version of your pictures
you could send it to them. Many of us just want to casually view the
pictures here and don't want (or need) the large images.

Why complain to the poster. If you don't have it get irfanview free
viewer and set it to fit to screen large images. If you need help just
ask but don't blame the posters for your own problems.
Old 27-01-2009, 04:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

Donn Thorson wrote:
2008
These are planted surrounding my pond...

Again Donn, why the super large posts? MANY if us would like to just
view your pictures without having to scroll up and down and right and
left to see the entire picture. Also, it would be nice if you could
post the entire picture in one post.

If someone desires to see a higher resolution version of your pictures
you could send it to them. Many of us just want to casually view the
pictures here and don't want (or need) the large images.

Why complain to the poster. If you don't have it get irfanview free
viewer and set it to fit to screen large images. If you need help just
ask but don't blame the posters for your own problems.

Believe me, when it comes to computers I don't need help (I BUILT my
first computer in 1977 and have been using them daily since then).

You and Donn just don't seem to understand how some of us would like to
view this newsgroup (without extra software and not needing to piece
together posts). As I said, a lot of us are casual viewers of this
newsgroup and while it is nice to view other's garden pictures they need
not make it more difficult than necessary.

Having said that, I don't really care what size pictures people post.
If it is very large (scolling required or additional software required
to put posts together) I'll just skip it.

Old 28-01-2009, 08:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Having said that, I don't really care what size pictures people post.
If it is very large (scolling required or additional software required
to put posts together) I'll just skip it.

Any competent picture viewer will have an option to reduce large images
to whatever size you want. If you refuse to take a minimal effort to
solve your problem you have no right to complain.
--

09=ix
Old 28-01-2009, 02:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Garrapata wrote:

Any competent picture viewer will have an option to reduce large images
to whatever size you want. If you refuse to take a minimal effort to
solve your problem you have no right to complain.

You are just another "newbie" who just doesn't get it. I have been
reading and posting in this newsgroup for over 12 years and it is just
in the past year or so that people (newbies) have become so
inconsiderate as to bash a poster who they don't agree with. There is
no reason to post a 20 x 28 inch picture in a usenet newsgroup (and some
are posting larger pictures than that). The usenet binary newsgroups
are for causal viewing, not "full resolution" pictures. At one time we
(the people that stated this group) suggested that pictures be limited
to 5 x 7". I think that is still a reasonable size. If you want to
post larger pictures, post them on a web site (like I do).

Old 28-01-2009, 05:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bill R" wrote in message
Garrapata wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. I was not aware there was a FAQ or Charter for this group that limits
picture size although I've posted on and off here myself since 2000 or 2001
which makes me a newbie too. In general it probably is not true that most
usenet binary group viewers expect small pictures today. One of the most
active usenet groups, and one that I participate in fairly often is
alt.binaries.photos.original. That group does have a FAQ and although
members of the group are free to post whatever sizes they want, they are
encouraged to stay at or around 1024 pixels width. Some posters habitually
post there in sizes up to around 1600 and nobody really complains but
everybody would if they had to fiddle with decoding multi-part files. It's
pretty easy for a poster to downsize his images so that they can be viewed
in one fell swoop.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 29-01-2009, 09:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Garrapata wrote:

Having said that, I don't really care what size pictures people post.
If it is very large (scolling required or additional software required
to put posts together) I'll just skip it.

Any competent picture viewer will have an option to reduce large images
to whatever size you want. If you refuse to take a minimal effort to
solve your problem you have no right to complain.

Gee, what did I start here...I thought this is suppose to be a fun place
to be. I don't plan to resize the pictures (there are hundreds that I
will be posting in the future). So post your own micro-sized pictures if
you like. If you don't like my pictures size, it's simple, don't view
them. It's like turning off the radio when you don't like the program.

-Donn
Old 29-01-2009, 02:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Donn Thorson wrote:

Gee, what did I start here...I thought this is suppose to be a fun place
to be. I don't plan to resize the pictures (there are hundreds that I
will be posting in the future). So post your own micro-sized pictures if
you like. If you don't like my pictures size, it's simple, don't view
them. It's like turning off the radio when you don't like the program.

-Donn

Donn,

You didn't start it. It has been going on for a few years now and
usually gets more active when someone posts a lot of BIG pictures.

You are right, its your choice and you can do what you want. However,
you should know that a lot of people will skip your posts because of
size. I know a lady who is a GREAT gardener and she loves looking at
other people's gardens. HOWEVER, she only has dialup, so your posts are
not ones she can view (your large posts take over 5 minutes to view via
her dialup connection) and she wasn't impressed by the several she saw
from you.

The idea when we created this group was to share our pictures with
others and I will still do that in a "reasonable" size or anyone can
view them. The "mine is bigger than yours" people (like yourself) that
have just about taken over this group are, IMO, just being snobbish.
Bigger does not make your pictures look better. And I could post
pictures just as large (or larger) as you do but I do have consideration
for the people that don't have hi speed connection or don't want to have
to do anything extra (like additional software) to view pictures.

Old 29-01-2009, 02:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Nothome wrote:

Perhaps if a person spent a little less time building computers and
complaining and a little more time figuring out how to use them to their
advantage.....

Tampa Bob

If that is suppose to be a put-down saying that I don't know to use
software (or my computer) it is far from accurate. I have written
programs that you likely use daily.

No one has ANY consideration for the dial-up users (by the way, I DO
have hi-speed broadband) any longer. By posting large pictures you are
limiting who can view your pictures. Of course, in this world who cares
about others? It appears that this group sure doesn't. All they care
about is doing things their way.

Old 29-01-2009, 08:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Oh yes! I am with Bill R from Ohio, agree that this feuding goes on
every time some posts these huge pic files.
We don't all have state of the art equipment or latest & greatest
I just can't take the time as I have several groups to visit so I just
"delete"
them especiall the big grainy ones. It seems to speed up my downloading &
I am not on dialup.
Cheers Wendy (the top poster) *G*

Old 29-01-2009, 10:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Regarding large photos, what's the purpose in posting photos larger than
will fit on our monitors without our resizing them? It tells me the poster
is too lazy to take the extra step and leaves that works to the viewers.

Wendy, your title after your signature gave me a laugh. Pam (the other top
poster)

Old 29-01-2009, 11:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Basketweaver wrote:
Regarding large photos, what's the purpose in posting photos larger than
will fit on our monitors without our resizing them? It tells me the poster
is too lazy to take the extra step and leaves that works to the viewers.

Pam,

I have asked that exact question over the years and I have never got an
answer from any of the "mine is larger than yours" posters. I agree
with you that it is laziness on the part of the poster and/or a "snob"
thing. I think that we are getting a lot of the "PBS types" and all of
us "dirt" gardeners who have been posting here for years just don't
count (in their eyes) any longer.

Have you notice how "pricky" some of the responders are when someone
offers a suggestion? This newsgroup sure isn't what it used to be and
it no wonder why a lot of ISPs have stopped carrying it.

Old 30-01-2009, 01:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bill, I don't know why some ISPs are no longer carrying newsgroups.
I don't know that it has anything to do with the content or climate of a
particular
group. I frequent five NGs and our ISP dropped ALL NGs at the same
time which sent hubby looking for another way for us to visit them.
Pam (TOTP)

Old 30-01-2009, 01:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Old 30-01-2009, 02:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I think you've got it, Joan.

"Joan F (MI)" wrote in message