Old 23-10-2011, 07:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default After years: my 1st 'home-grown' apple

I try to breed apples since about 20 years. I got some varieties
already, but they all were 1-2 days at most durable after the harvest.
This one seems to be a durable winter apple. Slightly sour, as I like
it. How long it is storable I don't know yet. I got only one piece, and
I was to curious about its taste than to put it in a proper place to
test how long it would stay in presentable condition.

Greets, Willi

http://members.aon.at/supervague/ivi...pple_001-0.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
After years: my 1st 'home-grown' apple-apple_001-0.jpg
Old 23-10-2011, 09:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:01:31 +0200, Willi wrote:

I try to breed apples since about 20 years. I got some varieties
already, but they all were 1-2 days at most durable after the harvest.
This one seems to be a durable winter apple. Slightly sour, as I like
it. How long it is storable I don't know yet. I got only one piece, and
I was to curious about its taste than to put it in a proper place to
test how long it would stay in presentable condition.

Greets, Willi

http://members.aon.at/supervague/ivi...pple_001-0.jpg

Enjoy the fruit of your labors. It looks good.
Old 23-10-2011, 11:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Willi" wrote

I try to breed apples since about 20 years. I got some varieties
already, but they all were 1-2 days at most durable after the harvest.
This one seems to be a durable winter apple. Slightly sour, as I like
it. How long it is storable I don't know yet. I got only one piece, and
I was to curious about its taste than to put it in a proper place to
test how long it would stay in presentable condition.

Looks like a bit of "Bitter Pit" on there Willi, that's caused by a lack of
calcium. What were the parents?
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 24-10-2011, 02:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Am 24.10.2011 00:09, schrieb Bob Hobden:
"Willi" wrote

I try to breed apples since about 20 years. I got some varieties
already, but they all were 1-2 days at most durable after the harvest.
This one seems to be a durable winter apple. Slightly sour, as I like
it. How long it is storable I don't know yet. I got only one piece, and
I was to curious about its taste than to put it in a proper place to
test how long it would stay in presentable condition.

Looks like a bit of "Bitter Pit" on there Willi, that's caused by a lack
of calcium. What were the parents?

I guess one parent was a Golden Delicious. I was just taking seeds of
apples by random and did not cross deliberately by hand. Maybe I try it
with this one and a Jonathan to see how yellow and red blend together
(in 10? years, lol, if usenet lasts so long, I'll report ).

The dark marks were sticking out rather than being indented and the pulp
was flawless. I'll see how they will look next year, if there are any.
It's here north of the Alps, the ground consists of glacial moraines
with about 40cm earth on it. There must be enough of calcium (Cooking
water leaves greyish stains in pots).

Thanks (I didn't know before what 'Bitter Pit' was).

G Willi
Old 24-10-2011, 03:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 24/10/2011 9:21 AM, Willi wrote:
Am 24.10.2011 00:09, schrieb Bob Hobden:

[...]
Looks like a bit of "Bitter Pit" on there Willi, that's caused by a lack
of calcium. What were the parents?

I guess one parent was a Golden Delicious. I was just taking seeds of
apples by random and did not cross deliberately by hand. Maybe I try it
with this one and a Jonathan to see how yellow and red blend together
(in 10? years, lol, if usenet lasts so long, I'll report ).

[...]
Just keep in mind that apples do not breed true. If you get a variety
that suits your taste, you'll have to propagate by grafting (propfen).

HTH
Wolf K.

Old 24-10-2011, 04:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Willi" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote
"Willi" wrote

[...]

It's always worth trying these things, it was a plant from such a seed that
produced our famous Bramley apple probably the worlds best cooking apple.
Although most countries do not grow apples specifically for cooking we do in
the UK. I've noticed this year a lot of apple trees along the roadsides,
obviously from discarded apple cores, and some have nice looking fruit.