Old 30-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Travis said:

What infectious diseases do cats spread?

Cat scratch disease

Dermatomycosis (fungal 'ringworm')

RABIES (reported in the past week in a kitten, locally)

TOXOPLASMOSIS

Also:
Ancylostomiasis, Cutaneous larval migrans (hookworms)
Toxocariasis, Visceral larval migrans (roundworms)

Some (most?) of these are more likely to found in cats that hunt outdoors
rather than in indoor cats under proper veterinary care.

(For the record, I like cats as pets, indoors, but don't have any as I am
allergic to them.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 30-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:27:39 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

What infectious diseases do cats spread?

Take your own advise and google!
In the mean time there are numerous diseases spread to domestic cats
by poorly cared for and feral cats!!

Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold
Old 02-08-2005, 04:39 PM
G Henslee

Tom Suckoffski wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:14:30 -0700, G Henslee
wrote:

Or children...

Too bad no one told YOUR mom....

Too bad your mom was your sister.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:23 AM
boliath

G Henslee wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Sorry, but I do think that people who are not willing to take
responsibility for their pets' safety and for their behavior probably
just shouldn't have pets.

Or children...

unless they lock them up too eh?

the indoor/outdoor cat debate has been raging for years, I don't impose
my opinions on others or their animals and appreciate it when others
accord me the same respect.

for the record, I have cats, dogs and children, all are properly cared
for, receive appropriate medical care, and do not impose on other
people's space. I hope they can all continue to live free, healthy and
happy and I will endeavour to make sure of that as long as I breathe.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Lindakay

Doug Kanter wrote:
snip
Will a bowl of antifreeze stop my neighbors cat from using my garden as
a litter box?

I'd call a vet's office and ask them what they recommend for an outdoor
spray or outdoor powder to put around the garden that cats do not like.
I'd be tempted to tie the dog up outside during "cat hours" with the
dog house. I'll bet that doggie "smell" would cure the cat too.....LOL
After all, animals are territorial.

Lindakay

Old 03-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Lindakay

Lindakay wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:
snip
Will a bowl of antifreeze stop my neighbors cat from using my garden as
a litter box?

I'd call a vet's office and ask them what they recommend for an outdoor
spray or outdoor powder to put around the garden that cats do not like.
I'd be tempted to tie the dog up outside during "cat hours" with the
dog house. I'll bet that doggie "smell" would cure the cat too.....LOL
After all, animals are territorial.

Lindakay

I just remembered a plant that cats do NOT like - Marigolds. We used
to plant them around the perimeter of the garden. That kept most any
animal out of the garden - including deer.

Lindakay

Old 12-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Suzy O

"Boliath" wrote in message
oups.com...

Suzy O wrote:
And that's not all it may stop -- as if you didn't already know that!

First line of defense, get a dog. As a bonus, you might discover why
there
are so many dog fans out there.

Then again, if acquiring a dog doesn't appeal to you, talk to the cat's
owner about keeping their pet from roaming the neighborhood.

If that proves unsuccessful or a reasonable discussion is not in the
offing,
you might up the ante by trapping the cat and turning it in to your local
animal control facility.

For what? Trespassing?

Yes, for trespassing or being "at-large". Here in Milwaukee, WI, cats and
dogs are picked up regularly by Animal Control, and there's a rather hefty
fine to reclaim your pet -- something like $50 plus $10/day for boarding,
plus another fine and fee is the pet is not licensed.

Mostly thought, I would suggest it's futile to punish the animal for it's
owner's irresponsibility. It may feel good in the short run, but if the
neighboring cat owner is truly blind to the rights of others -- purposely
or
not -- they'll miss the point entirely and just go out and replace kitty
with another.

What on earth! What rights is the cat infringing on? Why is the
neighbour being irresponsible? I assumed the original post was a troll
and disregarded it but your response doesn't seem to be in jest.

Plenty of folks don't want someone else's pet on their property and have a
right to enjoy their yard without contending with someone else's pet. Just
MHO, but I really believe that letting one's pet run loose is
irresponsible -- for other humans who have to put up with them, and for the
pet's safety. And perhaps the OP was pulling legs, but why shouldn't the
subject be discussed or posts replied to?

Suzy O

Good luck!
Suzy O
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Will a bowl of antifreeze stop my neighbors cat from using my garden as
a litter box?

[IMG] code is On

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
Cat Control Blossom United Kingdom 0 10-02-2006 11:26 PM
Cat control Doug Kanter Gardening 8 23-06-2005 04:13 AM
Cat-safe algae control?? William Laven Ponds 8 17-04-2004 08:12 PM
Cat Control Legislation In WA Wanda Australia 1 11-12-2003 02:43 PM