Old 14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
William Laven

Default Cat-safe algae control??

I have a small pond that loves algae. But I don't! Though I have a UV
filter, there's still plenty of string algae. What I'm wondering is
whether any of the algae control products -- many list copper as the
active ingredient -- can be used when my pond also serves as a drinking
bowl for my 6 cats.

And, please, don't waste my time telling me to get rid of the cats or
cover the pond with a net to keep them from drinking, etc etc

The cats stay and perhaps so will the alage unless I can find a product
safe for their ingestion.

Thanks for the help.

ps offlist cc's to would be appreciated
Old 14-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Ka30P

Hi William,

I'll post and e the algae primer for overall algae
control and hope it helps ~

Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for all algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized run off,
rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk and
convert fishy ammonia waste.
~ build a veggie filter, to run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
many rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$.
~ patience and time ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 16-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Nedra

Well... God Bless your Sweet heart! Another pond and cat lover
in our midst. If anyone bothers you about the kitties you just
tell me! LOL!

My pond had string algae for a week or two several years ago.
I didn't do anything to the pond but it did disappear.
I think the koi ate it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Nedra in Missouri

Old 16-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Gabrielle

I also have a small pond (about 450 gallons) that's home to my turtles
and fish as well as serving as an occasional water bowl for my two cats
and myriad wild birds. I put in a small veggie filter that right now has
a lot of string algae, but I don't really mind. My salvinia is taking
root in it and is growing like crazy -- I assume because the fish in the
veggie filter can't get to the roots -- and my water has been pretty
clear. The turtles and fish don't allow too much to grow in the main
pond but, what string algae is there, I just whirl around a scrub brush
-- gives me an excuse to go wading when it's hot. You might try that
instead of resorting to chemicals.

Gabrielle

Old 16-04-2004, 05:05 AM
William Laven

Yeah, I get in the pond every now and then and twirl around a rake like
it's a giant fork and the algae is looong spaghetti. It works, but I
wish I could do something that cut their growth. This is actually a
goldfish pond because its very shallow and the racoons visit
occasionally. My koi are in a second deeper pond which doesn't have an
algae problem, probably becaise it has a better filter. Unfortunatley,
the goldfish pond is situated such in the garden that I can't place a
large filter there.

But, thanks to all for your suggestions. Maybe I'll just twirl the rake
more often!

Too bad the cats don't eat algae.

Old 17-04-2004, 08:00 PM
B Ghostrider

we are in the same postion with our ponds. The thing that we do is to
clean the filter daliy.we also get in and remove the algea with our
hands. we also have added a good fountian head to rasie the O2 level
in the pond. Get a head that puts out course jets. so far this year
its seen to keep the alge in check but it still is not the hot part of
the year so we will see

Old 17-04-2004, 08:10 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

IMO, since the cats are more important (and I think this is a good thing,
as you're more apt to consider my advice) keep twirling.

String Algae usually has it hey day the 2nd year of a pond (sooner with one
that has UV) and then it eventually goes away only appearing briefly in the
spring, if at all. Check your water quality, you many need to get rid of a
few fertilizer.. er... fish. ;o)
~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)