Old 15-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Ray

Default Wild grape vines? ? ?

We have had a severe attack of wild grape vines in our hedges and trees.
After a couple of days of pulling and digging, I think I have cut off every
vine at the root and have tried to pull up the roots insofar as possible.
Sometimes they run like an underground snake, 10 or 15 feet long.

I'm sure that the vine will attempt a comeback. My question is, when I see
the first grape leaves, can I spray them with a herbicide -- being very
careful, of course, not to hit any plants we want to keep.

What kind of herbicide should I use?

Old 15-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ray" wrote in message
We have had a severe attack of wild grape vines in our hedges and trees.
After a couple of days of pulling and digging, I think I have cut off
every vine at the root and have tried to pull up the roots insofar as
possible. Sometimes they run like an underground snake, 10 or 15 feet
long.

I'm sure that the vine will attempt a comeback. My question is, when I see
the first grape leaves, can I spray them with a herbicide -- being very
careful, of course, not to hit any plants we want to keep.

What kind of herbicide should I use?

Pruning shears. Cut as close to the stump as possible. And, pick up a
medium-coarse file to keep your spade sharp. As long as you're going to
repeat one procedure or another, may as well be a safe one.

Old 15-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Hal

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 13:37:44 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

I'm sure that the vine will attempt a comeback. My question is, when I see
the first grape leaves, can I spray them with a herbicide -- being very
careful, of course, not to hit any plants we want to keep.

What kind of herbicide should I use?

I don't believe you are going to have much success at spraying a few
leaves. There won't be enough sprayed surface to absorb the amount
of herbicide it will take to kill a strong vine.

Do a Google search for your county "extension service agent". You
may need to include the state in the search, but a couple try's should
put you in contact with someone familiar with your vine, location and
the best way to resolve your problem.

Regards,

Hal
Old 16-08-2005, 02:11 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

Ray wrote:

We have had a severe attack of wild grape vines in our hedges and trees.
After a couple of days of pulling and digging, I think I have cut off
every vine at the root and have tried to pull up the roots insofar as
possible. Sometimes they run like an underground snake, 10 or 15 feet
long.

I'm sure that the vine will attempt a comeback. My question is, when I see
the first grape leaves, can I spray them with a herbicide -- being very
careful, of course, not to hit any plants we want to keep.

What kind of herbicide should I use?

Are you sure you have GRAPEVINES and not Kudzu?
Have you seen any "grapes" on the vines?