Old 18-08-2005, 04:01 AM
Peter Jason

Default Killing a tree.

I have been told that to kill a tree I have to drill a hole 6" deep and
1"diameter into the trunk near the base and fill it with copper sulfate and
then seal the hole with a wooden plug.

Can any one advise me if this is true?

Peter

Old 18-08-2005, 04:03 AM
zxcvbob

Peter Jason wrote:
I have been told that to kill a tree I have to drill a hole 6" deep and
1"diameter into the trunk near the base and fill it with copper sulfate and
then seal the hole with a wooden plug.

Can any one advise me if this is true?

Peter

Who's tree is it?

Best regards,
Bob
Old 18-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Peter Jason

Well, it's not mine, and discretion is in order.
The wooden plug will cleverly disguise the hole.
Do you think the copper sulfate will zap it?

Old 18-08-2005, 05:28 AM
sherwindu

You better have a very good reason to go around killing other people's trees. Don't
expect any advice until you clarify this. I would also like to know why you are killing
a tree.

Sherwin D.

Old 18-08-2005, 05:42 AM
zxcvbob

Peter Jason wrote:
Well, it's not mine, and discretion is in order.

I thought so.

Regards,
Bob

Old 18-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Spud Demon

Peter Jason wrote:

Well, it's not mine, and discretion is in order.
The wooden plug will cleverly disguise the hole.
Do you think the copper sulfate will zap it?

No that won't do, you will need some nitro-glycerin-soaked cardboard, and a
lit cigarette.

--Spud Demon spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
Old 18-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Peter Jason

Well the thing is lifting the pavement and its roots are crawling into my
drains and blocking them.

Also it is sucking all the water from the subsoil under the house and cracks
are appearing in the walls.

I want to get rid of it before something catastrophic happens!

Old 18-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Warren

Peter Jason wrote:
Well the thing is lifting the pavement and its roots are crawling into my
drains and blocking them.

Also it is sucking all the water from the subsoil under the house and
cracks are appearing in the walls.

I want to get rid of it before something catastrophic happens!

Then talk to the owner of the tree.

If something catastrophic happens that they could have prevented, they may
have liability. That liability is their incentive to deal with the problem.

The consequences of committing a criminal act should be your incentive to
not vandalize someone else's property. Also, if something catastrophic
happens because you killed the tree, guess who the liability shifts to.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 18-08-2005, 12:55 PM
dps

(1) Talk to the owner of the tree and see if you can settle the issue
amicably. Explain your problem and propose solutions and you might get
agreement or even assistance. Even if you are not on good terms with
your neighbor, you should let him/her know what you are planning. Rude
surprises generate rude surprises pointed the other way.

(2) If that doesn't work, check with a lawyer as to what you can do. I
suspect (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and I don't even know what state
you're in, or for that matter, whether you're even in the same country I
am) that you would be within your rights to excavate around your pipes
and slab to cut roots that are invasive, as long as your excavation is
on your property and as long as you don't damage the tree to the extent
that it becomes a hazard. Trees can withstand a fair amount of root
pruning, although if all the roots are removed on one side of the tree,
it could be subject to falling over in a strong wind, creating a hazard
to property nearby.

(3) If you don't know basics about trees, consult a professional
arborist. Your initial suggestion is not likely to be kept hidden, since
the dead tree will be taken down and cut up.

Bill wrote:
In article , says...

Well the thing is lifting the pavement and its roots are crawling into my
drains and blocking them.

Also it is sucking all the water from the subsoil under the house and cracks
are appearing in the walls.

I want to get rid of it before something catastrophic happens!

I suggest you talk to a lawyer, you may find you have legal recourse
under the laws where you're at. If you get caught destroying somebody
elses property, you'll find yourself talking to a lawyer anyway.

Bill

Old 18-08-2005, 02:18 PM
SVTKate

Hey Peter.
I am prolly one of the least PC folks you will meet here so I am going to
offer some advice.
It's just a tree and another can be replanted in it's place. We yank out
shrubs, flowers and all sorts of other plants when they become a problem, a
tree can be replaced too.

First, a little history.
The last house we owned had an enormous Ash tree in the front yard, the
whole neighborhood had HUGE ash trees.
This tree, big and beautiful as it was, was lifted and my driveway several
inches and ruined it. It had roots running into my yard so that the grass
would not grow and it had cracked the brick borders around my flower beds as
it headed for my foundation. It also had (as did they all) mistletoe and a
disease that caused it to drop loads of messy leaves every time there was
the slightest rain. It was like autumn all year round.

My point is, I feel your pain. I considered killing this tree too. It was
"owned" by the city.

Since it was on the south side of the house I decided that there must be
another solution because it was the only buffer between our house and that
hot summer sun.
I called the city and they had a program where they would come and cut the
roots with a trenching kind of tool. It cut about two inches wide, and
severed the roots to stop them from doing any more damage. It was a mess in
the lawn, but nothing that didn't heal up fairly quickly.
I had it done a couple of times while we owned the house and it did help.

In your case, I don't know if it is a solution or not but it's hard as hell
to kill a tree. We cut one down completely and it took about two years for
it to stop sending up suckers. It was Oak and too ahrd to drill and put
stuff into to kill it. You may try consulting an arborist about the roots on
your property and if it's a neighbor's tree see if they will share the cost
of the maintenance. If it's the city, do some stealthy research on it, if
they will do nothing then I'm on your side, find a way to kill it. Just
don't get caught.

Kate

:

Old 18-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Suzie-Q

-
- Can any one advise me if this is true?
-
- Peter

You could pray for a lightning strike. Or go to misc.legal.moderated,
give full details (including your location), and see if you have any
legal way of dealing with the damage.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Old 18-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Treedweller

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:25:59 +1000, "Peter Jason"
wrote:

Well the thing is lifting the pavement and its roots are crawling into my
drains and blocking them.

Also it is sucking all the water from the subsoil under the house and cracks
are appearing in the walls.

I want to get rid of it before something catastrophic happens!

If you water the foundation, the subsoil will not dry out and you will
not have a problem. If you trench near your house and install a root
barrier, you will not have a problem. If you replace the porous drain
pipe with correctly installed PVC, you will not have a problem.

If your trespass onto your neighbor's property and kill his tree, you
will have a problem (or so I would hope).

Grow up and take responsibility for these issues instead of sneaking
around breaking laws to avoid dealing with the real issues.

Old 18-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Ben

A friend of mine told me that his father strung copper wires through
weeping bed tile to stop willow roots from entering and claimed that it
worked. As far as drilling a tree with copper sulfate; only the first
layer under the bark is living tissue. So drilling into the tree would
serve no purpose.

Old 18-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Fragile \Volfie Bob\ Warrior

Peter Jason wrote:
Well the thing is lifting the pavement and its roots are crawling into my
drains and blocking them.

Also it is sucking all the water from the subsoil under the house and
cracks are appearing in the walls.

I want to get rid of it before something catastrophic happens!

Like a dead tree falling on your house?