Old 11-09-2005, 08:15 PM
limey

Default Disheartened

Well, I think I've lost heart for gardening, after trying at this house.

Squirrels and birds stripped the peach and apple trees. Squirrels also
attacked the tomatoes.

The deer this year are really bad. First, in the spring they ate my lilies.
Then, during the season they stripped the tomato vines and/or ate the
tomatoes. They then went to work on the cucumbers. After that, they ate
the rhubarb leaves (I hope they got belly aches), but left the decimated
stalks.

At lunchtime today, I watched a doe and her fawn eat the hydrangea
vegetation, then the peony leaves, then they started on the azaleas in the
back yard. I tried to shoo them off but they must have moved at least 12
inches then stared at me. Next, I suppose, they will be destroying the
foundation plants. Give me a break.

Dora

Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Anonny Moose

"limey" wrote in message
Well, I think I've lost heart for gardening, after trying at this house.

I'm feeling the same way, but I'm in the desert and the culprits destroying
my plants are woodrats, mice and burros. If you think a deer is hard to
move, try moving a stubborn ass! A clever woodrat has even taken to building
a nest in the engine compartment of my truck - complete with gallons of
mesquite beans, cactus pieces, thorny sticks and burro dung. I clean it all
out and park the truck in a different place and the little critter manages
to find it and start all over again. It has so far eluded the traps forcing
us to put out poison tonight before any more damage is done to the engine.
In the meantime, the cactus and newly planted trees are surrounded by wire
cages. *sigh*

Karen

Old 11-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "limey" contains these words:

Well, I think I've lost heart for gardening, after trying at this house.

Squirrels and birds stripped the peach and apple trees. Squirrels also
attacked the tomatoes.

The deer this year are really bad. First, in the spring they ate my
lilies.
Then, during the season they stripped the tomato vines and/or ate the
tomatoes. They then went to work on the cucumbers. After that, they ate
the rhubarb leaves (I hope they got belly aches), but left the decimated
stalks.

At lunchtime today, I watched a doe and her fawn eat the hydrangea
vegetation, then the peony leaves, then they started on the azaleas in the
back yard. I tried to shoo them off but they must have moved at least 12
inches then stared at me. Next, I suppose, they will be destroying the
foundation plants. Give me a break.

I feel your pain, Dora. It's outrageous that gangs of criminal
species roam around our planet vandalising it, as if they were homo
sapiens. My advice is to move to a penthouse apartment in the city. No
more deer jumping on the balcony, and any passing birds will feel dizzy
from traffic fumes, fall into the road and get crushed by traffic.

Janet
Old 11-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Doug Kanter

"limey" wrote in message
Well, I think I've lost heart for gardening, after trying at this house.

Squirrels and birds stripped the peach and apple trees. Squirrels also
attacked the tomatoes.

The deer this year are really bad. First, in the spring they ate my
lilies. Then, during the season they stripped the tomato vines and/or ate
the tomatoes. They then went to work on the cucumbers. After that, they
ate the rhubarb leaves (I hope they got belly aches), but left the
decimated stalks.

At lunchtime today, I watched a doe and her fawn eat the hydrangea
vegetation, then the peony leaves, then they started on the azaleas in the
back yard. I tried to shoo them off but they must have moved at least 12
inches then stared at me. Next, I suppose, they will be destroying the
foundation plants. Give me a break.

Dora

Do you know anyone who hunts deer with a bow and arrow? Seriously.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 AM
limey

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message from "limey" :

[...]

I know, I know - we're encroaching on their habitat more and more.
However, deer aren't controlled in this area to any great extent, are
multiplying fast and are proving a real hazard on the roads. We're lucky,
I suppose - at least they're not hungry bears in the yard. I'm just hungry
for my own vegetables, though, and fences aren't allowed here.

Dora

Old 12-09-2005, 01:35 AM
bigjon

limey decided to add:

............and fences aren't allowed here.

why ?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 AM
limey

"bigjon" wrote in message
limey decided to add:

...........and fences aren't allowed here.

why ?

The homeowners association has very restrictive covenants.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Frank

Me, but not the ones in my back yard. Candidly, I would but wife will
not have it. Local rules for county are that you cannot hunt within
200 yds of an occupied dwelling. Bow is effective as a firearm but
will seldom down them immediately unless hit in spine. Otherwise you
have to be skilled in blood trailing. Also takes considerable practice
to become good shot.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:30 AM
Travis

limey wrote:
[...]

How do you keep your children/grandchildren and the dog in the yard?
Why would anyone want to live where you are? No fences? That is just
crazy.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 12-09-2005, 08:28 AM
John

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:30:31 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

Why would anyone want to live where you are? No fences? That is just
crazy.

Yes, you must have fences ! And locks. Lotsa locks ! And an alarm
system on your house and car and motorcycle is you have one. Don't
forget the John Deere lawn mower. And every kid over the age of 8 gets
a cell phone. Before 8 they should have LoJack implants . Don't forget
Fido and Paws. They both absoluitely must have LoJacs tracking shock
collars.

JD
Right up the road from Jacks place.
In a town of 600 with a single P/T policeman.
Where I can leave my saw out by the mailbox for days without worry.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:54 AM
bigjon

limey decided to add:

"bigjon" wrote in message
limey decided to add:

...........and fences aren't allowed here.

why ?

The homeowners association has very restrictive covenants.

ok, so move or alter things....

Something here may help more than a shotgun (presumably also frowned upon)
http://www.plantskydd.com/ - repel deer
http://www.pestproducts.com/birdx/BXquadblaster.htm - repel rodents/birds
http://www.pestproducts.com/scare.htm - scare loads of critters
http://www.bugs2020.com/ - repel bugs, spiders, ants, mice, insects, moles,
raccoons, skunk, possum, just about everything!!
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM
limey

"Doug Kanter" wrote

Do you know anyone who hunts deer with a bow and arrow? Seriously.

No, but even if I did the wildlife restrictions wouldn't allow it so close
to houses.

Dora

Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Doug Kanter

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
Me, but not the ones in my back yard. Candidly, I would but wife will
not have it. Local rules for county are that you cannot hunt within
200 yds of an occupied dwelling. Bow is effective as a firearm but
will seldom down them immediately unless hit in spine. Otherwise you
have to be skilled in blood trailing. Also takes considerable practice
to become good shot.

Right - can't hunt close to dwellings. But, at least the bow & arrow are
silent. And, I have a friend who has been practicing head shots quite
successfully. The guy is scary. I know, however, that this is totally
uncommon.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:29 PM
limey

"bigjon" wrote in message
limey decided to add:

...........and fences aren't allowed here.

why ?

The homeowners association has very restrictive covenants.

ok, so move or alter things....

Something here may help more than a shotgun (presumably also frowned upon)
http://www.plantskydd.com/ - repel deer
http://www.pestproducts.com/birdx/BXquadblaster.htm - repel rodents/birds
http://www.pestproducts.com/scare.htm - scare loads of critters
http://www.bugs2020.com/ - repel bugs, spiders, ants, mice, insects,
moles,
raccoons, skunk, possum, just about everything!!

Well, in spite of it all we don't want to move. Thanks for your links to
repellents and I think that's the way we'll have to go. I've also read
that planting marigolds around the crops will deter them (can't say I blame
them - I don't like the smell either). This problem became much worse when
the neighbor across the road put down a salt lick, so the deer were
attracted to our yard on their way to the salt.
Their habits are extremely hard to break.

Dora

Old 12-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Doug Kanter

"limey" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote

Do you know anyone who hunts deer with a bow and arrow? Seriously.

No, but even if I did the wildlife restrictions wouldn't allow it so close
to houses.

Dora

Deer? What deer? I haven't seen a deer.

Hint: Don't they forage in your area when the sun's barely up?