Old 17-03-2003, 04:08 AM
animaux

Default spindly seedlings

In lieu of the fact that my plants are almost all in the ground and seeds were
started in January...well, itaint winter everywhere. It's been 80-85 and pretty sure
to stay this way. Of course there's always that killer late freeze, but the last
freeze was a month or so ago.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 06:40:56 GMT, "Cereoid+10+" wrote:

Why in the heck are you trying to grow plants from seeds now?

Its too damn early to be doing that!!!

videotron wrote in message
. ..
Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems to
thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches tall.
Any ideas?

tks
Paul

Old 17-03-2003, 04:08 AM
jammer

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 04:05:36 GMT, animaux wrote:

In lieu of the fact that my plants are almost all in the ground and seeds were
started in January...well, itaint winter everywhere. It's been 80-85 and pretty sure
to stay this way. Of course there's always that killer late freeze, but the last
freeze was a month or so ago.

And i started my seeds in jan and i have some great melons good to go
in a week or 2. 70's here and loving it.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 17-03-2003, 04:44 AM
mmarteen

It could be too early, it could be too early depending on where he is. I
made the mistake of being over enthusiastic here in zone 4 and starting some
seeds in February one winter and they were way overdue by the time I could
plant them in mid May. They were incredibly "spindly" from lack of natural
light (in spite of the plant light I had on them).

mm

"Alice Gamewell" wrote in message
Cereoid is wrong. Its not too early to start your seeds. I start mine 8
weeks before I set them out.
In the lamp department at my walmart, they sell small flourescent light

lamps
for ten dollars. I bought two and put them over my tomato seedlings. I

grew
some nice transplants from seeds.
Good luck gardening this year.
Alice

Old 17-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Cereoid+10+

He lives in the hearts of his fellow countrymen! Don't you wish you did,
Chico?

Never said I knew where he lived.

Now you and Alice both can pitch in to buy Paul plant lights!!!

Tom Jaszewski wrote in message

Since she doesn't know where he lives how do you ?

Frost is over and it's late for starting seeds in the desert SW.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:58:53 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Bite me, Alice. Wake up and smell the seedlings rotting. You don't know
where he lives or if he can affort to buy plant lights, you dummy. Are

you
going to buy them for him?

It certainly is too early if he doesn't have artificial lights and is

unable
to keep the seedlings in good health indoors until the threat of frost is
over.

videotron wrote:

Having a problem with spindly tomato seedlings - can't get the stems

thicken up. Would it be a lack of light or too much light that would

cause
this? The seedlings are a couple weeks old and about 3 to 4 inches

tall.
Any ideas?

tks
Paul

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been

hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

Old 17-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Alice Gamewell

Your quotes are stupid. You try hard to impress people as a know it all but
come off looking dumb.
Why do you feel the need to critisize everyone who posts on this site asking for
advice? I have never seen anything come from you with any scientific basis or
common sense. Yet you feel the need to make fun of people. Perhaps you need
to join a different group in which you actually know something.

Old 17-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Shadow

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message

Never said I knew where he lived.

I'm just curious as to why you assumed it was too early for him to begin his
seedlings when you admit you don't know where he lived?

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 18-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Cereoid+10+

Are you curious yellow or are you curious blue?

Unless he live in a climate controlled plastic bubble sealed off from the
world like you do, it still wouldn't be the first day of spring yet.

Spring begins March 20, in case you don't know that.

Do you think he lives in the southern hemisphere instead?

Old 18-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Shadow

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
m...
Are you curious yellow or are you curious blue?

Unless he live in a climate controlled plastic bubble sealed off from the
world like you do, it still wouldn't be the first day of spring yet.

Spring begins March 20, in case you don't know that.

Do you think he lives in the southern hemisphere instead?

Silly me, and here all this time I was going by my last frost date when
planning my planting times.

You really do have a hard time admitting you're wrong, don't you?

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 18-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

Look who's talking!

I answered your question so now you can go back into hibernation,
Canucklehead.

There is no last frost date for permafrost boreal like you.

Shadow wrote in message

m...

Old 18-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Shadow

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
. ..
Look who's talking!

I answered your question so now you can go back into hibernation,
Canucklehead.

There is no last frost date for permafrost boreal like you.

Aww shucks. You say the nicest things.

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 19-03-2003, 06:56 AM
B & J

"Shadow" wrote in message

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
. ..
Look who's talking!

I answered your question so now you can go back into hibernation,
Canucklehead.

There is no last frost date for permafrost boreal like you.

Aww shucks. You say the nicest things.

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

That reminds me of the adage: "Why are there so many more 'orses a**es than
there are 'orses?" You appear to be its latest victim.

BTW, I can relate to those in Canada, for I used to live a short distance
from there in northern MN and have many relatives in the Soo. Taking abuse
from the unwashed used to be called Minnesota nice, and your answer can be
called Canada nice, eh? :-)

John

[IMG] code is On

Euphorbia - Tall Spindly? Davy[_2_] United Kingdom 3 05-05-2010 04:52 PM
Tomato Seedlings Thin and Spindly JMS United Kingdom 10 31-03-2010 03:09 PM
Spindly Nemesias M United Kingdom 2 21-07-2006 07:33 PM
helping a sickly, spindly Clematis peter Gardening 4 11-07-2003 11:56 PM
spindly camellias and rhododendrons David Marion North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:34 PM