Old 27-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Sterling

Default i.d. mystery plant?

I posted over on the binaries.pictures.gardens but no response so far...
thought I'd try here too...

I bought this in 1972 as a tiny 89 cent pot plant and I have never seen
another one just like it... I think it is some kind of asparagus but not
any that I can identify.

I have never seen any flower or fruit on it - however 'insignificant'. I
have tried to divide it and nearly killed it.

It has appreciable thorns.

TIA,
Sterling

http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant_cu.jpg

also a baby tree of some kind...?? About 10" tall - shot with a piece of
white paper behind to increase detail. Looks like some kind of pine or
fir??
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/baby_tree.jpg
Old 27-09-2005, 09:49 PM
alice

"Sterling" wrote in message
I posted over on the binaries.pictures.gardens but no response so far...
thought I'd try here too...

I bought this in 1972 as a tiny 89 cent pot plant and I have never seen
another one just like it... I think it is some kind of asparagus but not
any that I can identify.

I have never seen any flower or fruit on it - however 'insignificant'. I
have tried to divide it and nearly killed it.

It has appreciable thorns.

TIA,
Sterling

http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant_cu.jpg

also a baby tree of some kind...?? About 10" tall - shot with a piece of
white paper behind to increase detail. Looks like some kind of pine or
fir??
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/baby_tree.jpg

http://www.fuller.net/~jamie/aferns.htm

and a sprig of Rosemary..pinch some of it in
your hand and if it smells like rosemary, then
that is what it is

alice

Old 27-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Sterling

1 - not either A. densiflorus sprengeri or A. plumosus

2 - absolutely not rosemary - I have quite a few varieties of rosemary
as I like to cook with it.

Thanks for trying...

Old 28-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Cereus-validus.......

I wouldn't even hazard a guess from such bad pictures.

Never use back lighting for a picture of a plant you want identified.

Old 28-09-2005, 03:13 AM
Sterling

Cereus-validus....... wrote:
I wouldn't even hazard a guess from such bad pictures.

Never use back lighting for a picture of a plant you want identified.

This plant is very difficult to photograph - try this one for a flash
fill... I thought the back lighting showed the silhouette better...

http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/myst3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/myst4.jpg

I have tried putting it against a plain white wall to photograph it but
the shadows of the million tiny leaves make it even harder to distinguish.

Suggestions are welcome. And you have an excellent track record for
identification.

TIA,
Sterling

Old 28-09-2005, 04:28 AM
Cereus-validus.......

Why on earth would you think a silhouette would be any good for
identification?

This time try taking pictures with the curtains pulled down and close up so
one can actually see some detail.

A ruler in the pix for size comparison is a good idea too.

Don't believe it to be an Asparagus but it is still very nondescript from
the pix.

Dr. House and I try our darnedest to be very good at diagnoses.

Old 28-09-2005, 05:37 AM
DrLith

Sterling wrote:
I posted over on the binaries.pictures.gardens but no response so far...
thought I'd try here too...

I bought this in 1972 as a tiny 89 cent pot plant and I have never seen
another one just like it... I think it is some kind of asparagus but not
any that I can identify.

I have never seen any flower or fruit on it - however 'insignificant'. I
have tried to divide it and nearly killed it.

It has appreciable thorns.

TIA,
Sterling

http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant_cu.jpg

also a baby tree of some kind...?? About 10" tall - shot with a piece of
white paper behind to increase detail. Looks like some kind of pine or
fir??
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/baby_tree.jpg

My thoughts are some sort of bamboo, but (a) it's hard to tell, because
the photo doesn't show the stem well at all; and (b) there are a
gazillion and one types of bamboo out there. Many species have thorns.

I don't think the little tree is a pine, which have needles attached to
the stem in fan-like clusters of 2-5 needles depending on species. Fir
needles are attached individually, and flatish. Spruce needles are
usually square in cross-section (except Norway spruce, which is triangular).
Old 28-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Travis

DrLith wrote:
Sterling wrote:
[...]

Name one bamboo that has thorns.

snip

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 28-09-2005, 01:43 PM
DrLith

Travis wrote:
DrLith wrote:

Sterling wrote:
[...]

Guadua angustifolia (a south american bamboo)
Bambusa spinosa
Bambusa sinospinosa
Bambusa blumeana
Bambusa bambos
Chimonobambusa pachystachys
Bambusa arundinacea
Old 28-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Travis

DrLith wrote:
Travis wrote:
DrLith wrote:

Sterling wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 28-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Alfred Falk

Sterling wrote in
:

also a baby tree of some kind...?? About 10" tall - shot with a piece
of white paper behind to increase detail. Looks like some kind of
pine or fir??
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/baby_tree.jpg

A Juniper seedling perhaps. I get volunteer seedlings that resemble your
photo, and don't have the scaly leaves of their cultivar parents.

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://www.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/
Old 28-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Sterling

well I have junipers around here so maybe - I think I'll pot it up for now.

Thanks,
Sterling

Alfred Falk wrote:
Sterling wrote in
:

Old 29-09-2005, 12:33 AM
fran

Looks like some type of bamboo? Can you take close-ups of the leaf
clusters and the main stems? That will help.

Old 29-09-2005, 12:36 AM
fran

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:33:12 GMT, fran
wrote:

replying to my own message - just saw the other posting. I have no
clue what this critter is. Has it ever bloomed? And how often do
you trim it back?
Old 29-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Sterling

I put up a web page with rulers and close ups and all
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/plant/plant.html

never bloomed - or before someone says 'everything blooms' - I'll say I
have never seen any bloom or berry on this...