Old 21-10-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Good artificial light source

Hi all, I recently purchased a variety of tropical seeds from the
Biodome in Montreal. I'm considering purchasing an acapulco unit:
http://www.summertan.com/Catalog/aca..._2543832. htm

Apparently the relevant information about this unit is that it is a 800
Watt UV Tanning Lamp.

Would this be a good source of light for some plants that I'm growing
from seeds? Are there cheaper (less than 400 dollars with tax
included) and/or better sources that I should look at?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 21-10-2005, 05:02 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
No, plants are subject to sunburn as well as humans. Get HID lamp,
either metal halide or high pressure sodium. You can get bulbs in a
variety of spectrums for special needs, look at
http://www.altgarden.com/index.html for some more info and products.

Yikes, the pricing on that site is complicated! Last year I bought a
400W HPS Econogrow system from this place http://www.hydroponics.net/
and it worked out pretty well. In the Econogrow system the ballast sits
on the floor away from the light. According to the specs a 400W light
covers a 4ft x 4ft area which was good enough for my needs. Anything
higher the electric bills start taking their toll.

A UV tanning lamp is a no-no.

That's true. I have a florescent setup for vegetative growth plants
using regular ballasts and 40W bulbs from Home Depot. I'd go with Metal
Halide but I heard they can be a PITA to maintain.

Old 21-10-2005, 05:43 AM
Cereus-validus-...........

I didn't know marjjiiuanna was a tropical plant!

Now you can't say that any more!!!

Old 21-10-2005, 06:10 AM
sherwindu

Hi Tim,
You can take an ordinary shop lamp fluorescent fixture and buy inexpensive
grow light fluorescent bulbs at a garden center or home improvement center and
they will work perfectly ok. Some people even forgo the grow light bulbs and use
ordinary fluorescent bulbs, but I think you get better results with possibly a mixture
of the two, to cover the complete spectrum of light that plants need. Don't waste
your money on this UV Tanning Lamp, which may have the incorrect light spectrum
for raising plants.

Sherwin D.

Old 21-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Hemmaholic

I have been growing "Tropical Plants" for decades under good old "shop
lights". Normally with one cool white and one warm white tube per
fixture; for flowering plants I might add the special wide spectrum
tube. If the particular set up has 2 double tube fixtures, I place the
W-S tube so they are in the center and one warm and one cool at either
end. W-S tubes are not necessary for starting and growing seeds and
seedlings. I do keep the fixtures fairly close to the tops of the
seedlings, 2-inches seems to work best..

To reflect the light back onto all parts of the plants/seedlings I hang
the silver Mylar coated "Survival Blankets" on three sides of the plant
stand, leaving the top open for heat escape.. The front can also be
draped with these survival blankets or you can use clear plastic, but I
have found this impedes air circulation and can get the area too warm
causing the potting mix to dry out too quickly.

I have grown and flowered just about everything fromAfrican Violets to
Zygo-cactus under this set-up with great results.

Hemma

Old 21-10-2005, 03:56 PM
John Hines

Mark Anderson wrote:

That's true. I have a florescent setup for vegetative growth plants
using regular ballasts and 40W bulbs from Home Depot. I'd go with Metal
Halide but I heard they can be a PITA to maintain.

No problem at all. You have to change the bulb once a year or so. And
you can get bulbs from HD, since they are used as warehouse lights and
such.
Old 21-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Spud Demon

Mark Anderson writes in article t dated Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:02:59 -0500:
That's true. I have a florescent setup for vegetative growth plants
using regular ballasts and 40W bulbs from Home Depot. I'd go with Metal
Halide but I heard they can be a PITA to maintain.

Are streetlights and security lights a PITA to maintain? They are normally
metal halide.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old 21-10-2005, 10:11 PM
zxcvbob

Spud Demon wrote:
Mark Anderson writes in article t dated Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:02:59 -0500:

That's true. I have a florescent setup for vegetative growth plants
using regular ballasts and 40W bulbs from Home Depot. I'd go with Metal
Halide but I heard they can be a PITA to maintain.

Are streetlights and security lights a PITA to maintain? They are normally
metal halide.

HPS security lights are very easy to maintain. MH have to be relamped
fairly frequently and so cost a lot more to operate.

Fluorescent T8 lamps on good electronic ballasts are the most economical
light source. Plants seem to really like the 3000K lamps.

For lighting a room for growing plants, I'd recommend a 400W HPS
security light, supplemented with movable F32T8 fluorescents. I haven't
had much luck with just HPS by itself, but HPS worked better than MH
once the MH lamps were more than just a few months old.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 22-10-2005, 05:37 PM
John Hines

Mark Anderson wrote:

In article says...
That's true. I have a florescent setup for vegetative growth plants
using regular ballasts and 40W bulbs from Home Depot. I'd go with Metal
Halide but I heard they can be a PITA to maintain.

No problem at all. You have to change the bulb once a year or so. And
you can get bulbs from HD, since they are used as warehouse lights and
such.

I read that the MH bulb's color spectrum shifts fairly quickly which you
can't see with your naked eye. I debated with myself between HPS and MH
but chose HPS for stability.

The plants in my living room are growing just fine under a 250W MH lamp.

You can spend more $$ and get a MH with a different spectrum, even up to
5000K or so. They are commonly used by reef aquarist, who are much more
concerned about spectra.

But yes, changing the bulbs on a routine schedule, like yearly, is
better than waiting for them to burn out.

But the HPS is a red spectrum flowering
light so some plants didn't do so well under it last winter. However,
it might be worthwhile to get one of each and run the MH light from
November to January or February and then the HPS light from January to
planting outside time. I'm still learning about it.

There are advanced tech bulbs, like
http://www.altgarden.com/site/bulbs/page1hps.html designed for better
spectrum, and better growing.
Old 23-10-2005, 03:35 AM
zxcvbob

John Hines wrote:
Mark Anderson wrote:

In article says...

[...]

I'd like to try "Deluxe" HPS lamps. They have a pretty good color
rendering index, so they might provide enough blue light for the plants
to grow better. I've only seen Deluxe HPS lamps in the lamp
manufacturer's catalogs, never seen them for sale.

Bob
Old 23-10-2005, 04:52 PM
John Hines

zxcvbob wrote:

John Hines wrote:
Mark Anderson wrote:

In article says...

[...]

Alternative garden, the link above has both MH and HPS spectrum enhanced
bulbs. The only other place I've seen interest in these kind of bulbs
is for aquariums, who need 5000K and above for coral reefs.

Everyone else is interested in the most light for the least $$, so the
color quality is not important. The specialty bulbs are more expensive.