Old 01-11-2005, 06:47 PM
BetsyB

Default montaug daisy_ cannot find seeds for this?

Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have googled
with zip results.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BetsyB

Old 01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Doug Kanter

"BetsyB" wrote in message
Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have googled
with zip results.

It's "Montauk", not "Montaug". Try the search again. I got over 900 results.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 PM
BetsyB

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"BetsyB" wrote in message
Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have googled
with zip results.

It's "montaug daisy", not "Montaug". Try the search again. I got over 900
results.

While we were on the Cape they advertised them with the spelling I used?
Ooops!
Thanks much.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Doug Kanter

"BetsyB" wrote in message
Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have
googled with zip results.

It's "montaug daisy", not "Montaug". Try the search again. I got over 900
results.

While we were on the Cape they advertised them with the spelling I used?
Ooops!
Thanks much.

Montaug is an old spelling, perhaps more accurate in terms of the way the
native Americans pronounced it. It's not in common use now. But, there are
people who like to correct the whole world. So, around here, everyone calls
the Finger Lakes "Seneca Lake", Canandaigua Lake", etc. But, a certain
snobby travel book calls them "Lake Seneca", etc. Silly.

Anyway, it's Montauk:
http://www.montaukchamber.com/

The plant you're looking for grows happily around the dunes of Montauk, so
they're popular in nurseries in the area.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/1/05 2:26 PM, in article , "Doug
Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have googled
with zip results.

It's "Montauk", not "Montaug". Try the search again. I got over 900 results.

Strangely MA and NY consider both spelling "correct", though the K ending is
more common and on most maps. The other is a colonial hold over.

Cheryl

Old 02-11-2005, 12:14 AM
BetsyB

Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have
googled
with zip results.

It's "Montauk", not "Montaug". Try the search again. I got over 900
results.

Strangely MA and NY consider both spelling "correct", though the K ending
is
more common and on most maps. The other is a colonial hold over.

Cheryl

Since the "K" ending was the only one who turned up 900 results, I stuck
with that. I even found ONE who sells the suckers. I will order in the early
spring.
Many thanks ofr the spelling help.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Doug Kanter

Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
Does anyone have a catalog carrying this particular daisy. I have
googled
with zip results.

It's "Montauk", not "Montaug". Try the search again. I got over 900
results.

Strangely MA and NY consider both spelling "correct", though the K ending
is
more common and on most maps. The other is a colonial hold over.

Cheryl

Since the "K" ending was the only one who turned up 900 results, I stuck
with that. I even found ONE who sells the suckers. I will order in the
early spring.
Many thanks ofr the spelling help.

When you're done with all this, get to Montauk for a few days. Gorgeous off
season (before Memorial Day, after Labor Day). Makes the cape look like
Chuck E Cheese on a bad night full of little sugar-cranked monkeys. Try
www.royalatlantic.com.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
[...]

I'd love to go there - I've heard it's lovely. I hate the Cape even in the
dead of winter. Since my parents and sister live there, guess where I get to
be all too often.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Doug Kanter

Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
[...]

It's cheap off season, too. The biggest problem with the place is that you
(usually) have to go through the rest of Long Island to get there, unless
you're coming from New England and can take a ferry over. That cuts off half
the filth.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
[...]

Well Doug, it's hockey season and it's 5 rinks in 3 days a lot here. Oh the
joys of a travel player and the little house league player too.

Cheryl

Old 02-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 11/1/05 2:26 PM, in article ,
"Doug
Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
[...]

Take them to Montauk *now*, when the bluefish and striped bass are hitting
the beaches. Stick surf casting rods in their hands. They'll never go near
team sports again, and you'll get one hell of a dinner out of the deal. :-)
Or maybe three dinners. There's nothing like bluefish that went from water
to kitchen in less than 2 hours.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Kanter" wrote:

"BetsyB" wrote in message
[...]

Can't - it is a family commitment when you get into hockey. And the adults
do enjoy it too!

BUT - oh the thought of fresh bluefish or bass, makes my mouth water. When I
was a kid, we spent most of the summer in a camper near Race Point. I had a
deal with my Mom. On the nights I hated the planned dinner, if I could catch
it and would clean and cook it myself, I could skip the family meal. A few
mackerel or a just legal stripper or blue made an excellent meal for one.

Cheryl