Old 05-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Thomas Cooper

Default Solar sprinkler system

Hey all,
I am in need of a small (4 station) solar powered automatic sprinkler
system that is reasonably priced. I have been unable to find any sources or
plans for such a setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
TnT

Old 05-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Vox Humana

"Thomas Cooper" wrote in message
Hey all,
I am in need of a small (4 station) solar powered automatic sprinkler
system that is reasonably priced. I have been unable to find any sources

or
plans for such a setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar power.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Jangchub

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:58:07 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Thomas Cooper" wrote in message
Hey all,
I am in need of a small (4 station) solar powered automatic sprinkler
system that is reasonably priced. I have been unable to find any sources

or
plans for such a setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar power.

Unless you're off the grid.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

"Thomas Cooper" wrote in message
Hey all,
I am in need of a small (4 station) solar powered automatic

sprinkler
system that is reasonably priced. I have been unable to find any

sources
or
plans for such a setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar

power.

Unless you're off the grid.

Where does the water come from if you are off the grid?

Old 07-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Snooze

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .
Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar
power

Unless you're off the grid.

Where does the water come from if you are off the grid?

Plenty of people have their own wells.

In many countries, power outages are a daily fact of life. In the US, many
people who live on farm lands, lose power everytime it rains.

A buddy of mine grew up on a ranch, every major storm they'd lose power for
a few days because the utilities fixed the power problems in the city first.
They'd run the generator for a few hours to power the well pump and a few
lights and stuff around the house, the hot water heater and the cooking was
all on propane, the house was heated by a wood stove. Septic system took
care of the sewer.

-S

Old 07-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Vox Humana

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:55:44 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Thomas Cooper" wrote in message
Hey all,
I am in need of a small (4 station) solar powered automatic

sprinkler
system that is reasonably priced. I have been unable to find any

sources
or
plans for such a setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar

power.

Unless you're off the grid.

Where does the water come from if you are off the grid?

A well.

Don't you need electric to power the pump?

Old 07-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

wrote:

"Thomas Cooper" wrote in message

Hey all,
I am in need of a small (4 station) solar powered automatic

sprinkler

system that is reasonably priced. I have been unable to find any

sources

or

plans for such a setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar

power.

Unless you're off the grid.

Where does the water come from if you are off the grid?

A well.

Don't you need electric to power the pump?

That's what generators and solar power systems are for....
Old 07-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Vox Humana

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message

wrote:

"Thomas Cooper" wrote in message

Hey all,
I am in need of a small (4 station) solar powered automatic

sprinkler

system that is reasonably priced. I have been unable to find any

sources

or

plans for such a setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar

power.

Unless you're off the grid.

Where does the water come from if you are off the grid?

A well.

Don't you need electric to power the pump?

That's what generators and solar power systems are for....

Oh, I thought that the OP simply wanted to avoid using a transformer to run
the valves. You seem to believe that he wants to run the entire system,
well pump and all, from a solar panel. I think the cost would be very high
and one wonders what is being irrigated by such a system. Does the OP want
a power source at each valve or is the power going to be distributed through
wires to the vales?

Old 07-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Vox Humana wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:55:44 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

om...

wrote:

[...]

I don't know what he wants, but a solar power system to power a house is
getting within range of many home owners. One to power a well and
sprinkler system would be much smaller, and thus relatively cheap.

As with all such installations, pay-back times are "conservatively"
estimated. I wish I had put a ground-effect heat-pump into my house when
I built it 25 years ago. The payback time was estimated at 25 years. In
fact, it would have paid for itself in about 15 years, at the rate
energy prices were and are increasing. I might still install one, since
the major cost would be drilling the holes into the ground, and if (as I
expect) we hit water a mere 25 feet down or so, they won't have to be
very deep. In real terms, such installations are cheaper now than 25
years ago, too.

Not too far away from here, only an hour or so into the bush, an
acquaintance runs his whole house off a solar system. Heats with wood,
cooks with wood and bottled gas. Last time I was out there, he was
experimenting with a water turbine to drive a generator. His test
installation generated 5KW, a respectable amount. He figures he could
easily generate 10-15KW with his water source, which is a small lake on
a plateau about 80 feet above his house. He would use less than half the
regular outflow.

Fact is, a typical suburban house has more than enough roof surface to
power a solar system for lights, TV, computer, and refrigerator. In many
areas of the country, solar water heating is feasible, too. (My sister
and bro-in-law in central Calif. have been heating their water with
solar for nigh on twenty years. They replaced the original green vinyl
water pipe this fall. When first installed, the water was too hot - they
ahd to install a mixing valve to keep the water at a safe temperature,
and that valve was the priciest part of their system.)

HTH

Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Snooze

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

Oh, I thought that the OP simply wanted to avoid using a transformer to
run
the valves. You seem to believe that he wants to run the entire system,
well pump and all, from a solar panel. I think the cost would be very
high
and one wonders what is being irrigated by such a system. Does the OP
want
a power source at each valve or is the power going to be distributed
through
wires to the vales?

the original poster didn't provide enough information to make any meaningful
conclusions, solar powered valves? solar powered controller? solar powered
pump?

-S

Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Vox Humana

"Snooze" wrote in message
. net...
"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

Oh, I thought that the OP simply wanted to avoid using a transformer to
run
the valves. You seem to believe that he wants to run the entire system,
well pump and all, from a solar panel. I think the cost would be very
high
and one wonders what is being irrigated by such a system. Does the OP
want
a power source at each valve or is the power going to be distributed
through
wires to the vales?

the original poster didn't provide enough information to make any

meaningful
conclusions, solar powered valves? solar powered controller? solar powered
pump?

I guess I was taking a round-about way of pointing that out.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Vox Humana

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
.. .

I don't know what he wants, but a solar power system to power a house is
getting within range of many home owners. One to power a well and
sprinkler system would be much smaller, and thus relatively cheap.

You make a lot of good points. I guess that I don't see how you could save
much money running an irrigation system on solar power. Maybe there is some
demanding installation where the system is used for hours on end. My lawn
system is on for an hour a week, if that, and only for about three or four
months a year. The time to recover my investment in solar power generation
for that system would be measured in centuries.

..

Old 08-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Jangchub

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:18:55 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar
power.

Unless you're off the grid.

Where does the water come from if you are off the grid?

A well.

Don't you need electric to power the pump?

Um, this could be why the person asked for a solar sprinkler system.
Chances are, if off the grid, their energized using solar and or wind.
Just a bit of thinking out of the box'ull do ya.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

Sprinklers run on 24v DC. I don't see any advantage of using solar
power.

Unless you're off the grid.

Where does the water come from if you are off the grid?

A well.

Don't you need electric to power the pump?

Um, this could be why the person asked for a solar sprinkler system.
Chances are, if off the grid, their energized using solar and or wind.
Just a bit of thinking out of the box'ull do ya.

The OP asked for " ... a small (4 station) solar powered automatic sprinkler
system that is reasonably priced.

To me that means a controller and maybe four valves. I guess you could
assume that it could be just about anything once you are outside the box.