Old 26-11-2005, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
las

Default Hibiscus - what is that stuff at base of leaf?

My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its leaves.
It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can be easily
crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is?

TIA
LAS

Old 26-11-2005, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Arnaud de Fleur

"las" wrote in message
ups.com...
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its leaves.
It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can be easily
crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is?

TIA
LAS

Isn't it obvious that you have a male hibiscus?

Old 26-11-2005, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

las wrote:
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its
leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but
can
be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what
this is?

TIA
LAS

Scale perhaps.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 26-11-2005, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carolyn LeCrone

"Travis" wrote in message
las wrote:
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its
leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can
be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is?

TIA
LAS

Scale perhaps.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5 It could be the residue from scale or white flies.

Old 27-11-2005, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

las wrote:
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of
its
leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm,
but
can be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know
what
this is? TIA
LAS

Scale perhaps.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5 It could be the residue from scale or white
flies.

Carolyn
It will be easier for people to find your comment if you put it
below my sig instead of in line with the last line of it.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 28-11-2005, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carolyn LeCrone

"Travis" wrote in message
las wrote:
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its
leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but
can be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what
this is? TIA
LAS

Scale perhaps.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5 It could be the residue from scale or white flies.

Carolyn
It will be easier for people to find your comment if you put it below my
sig instead of in line with the last line of it.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5 sorry - the cursor is at the top and that's where I want to
write. I'll try to do better!

Carolyn

Old 28-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Registered User

Smile

"Travis" lid wrote in
las wrote:
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of
its
leaves. It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm,
but
can be easily crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know
what
this is? TIA
LAS

Scale perhaps.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5 It could be the residue from scale or white
flies.

Carolyn
It will be easier for people to find your comment if you put it
below my sig instead of in line with the last line of it.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

this website kind of concurs with what i had also thought.
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hor...s/hibiscus.htm

the crystals could be salts. sometimes if u bring impatient plants in and overwinter them they will end up with little crystals hanging off of their stems.
i have never found them to hurt anything and have had good luck with cutting the plants back just before putting them out in the spring and letting them grow regrow.
what i would do is either clean the crystal drops off or wait and see what happens. be very vigilant on keeping an eye for insects if u decide to just leave the plants alone.
hope this helps u some. good luck, sockiescat.
Old 28-11-2005, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

las wrote:
[...]

You didn't try very hard.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 28-11-2005, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message . com, las
writes
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its leaves.
It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can be easily
crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is?

TIA
LAS

Some types of Hibiscus have foliar nectaries. IIRC, none of the commonly
grown types do, so perhaps they aren't in your case.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-11-2005, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Its a globule of nectar secreted from a nectary gland.
The plant secretes nectar to attract ants that keep away other insect pests.
Its harmless and can be washed away with a spray of water.

"las" wrote in message
ups.com...
My hibiscus has a drop of something at the base of many of its leaves.
It is shiny, semi-clear (like cloudy water), firm, but can be easily
crushed, and quite sticky. Does anyone know what this is?

TIA
LAS

[IMG] code is On

Problem with phal. Base of leaf black Jane Orchids 4 13-12-2008 02:41 AM
Stuff on leaf Paul O. Garden Photos 7 16-03-2008 06:03 AM
How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff? I Love Lucy Lawns 22 06-06-2006 03:11 AM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM