Old 05-12-2005, 10:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
MaxMustermann

Default Dieffenbachia

Hi all,

I bought a dieffenbachia compacta some 6 or 7 weeks ago and have
watered it about once a week ever since, and 2 times with fertilizer
(every 3 weeks).

Lately I have noticed that the bottom leaves turn yellow too quickly
and that some of the bottom to middle leaves have yellowish tips.

The plant sits next to a door and a heater and it doesn't have direct
sunlight.

Anybody knows what's wrong with it?

Thanks,
Max

Old 05-12-2005, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

My conclusion after having a few dieffenbachias myself is that your problem
is caused by overwatering. I don't know how much water you are giving but
they do fine on very little water.

Andrew
oups.com...

Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

On 2005-12-05 05:41:11 -0500, "MaxMustermann" said:

Hi all,

I bought a dieffenbachia compacta some 6 or 7 weeks ago and have
watered it about once a week ever since, and 2 times with fertilizer
(every 3 weeks).

Lately I have noticed that the bottom leaves turn yellow too quickly
and that some of the bottom to middle leaves have yellowish tips.

The plant sits next to a door and a heater and it doesn't have direct
sunlight.

Anybody knows what's wrong with it?

Thanks,
Max

Cut back on the water, water when almost all dry.

In the winter cut back to once a month for fertilizer.

Get it away from the door and heater.

--
PCs, like air-conditioners, are useless when you open Windows.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
MaxMustermann

Thanks for the tips.

Would it help if I put it under a slanting window where it doesn't get
direct sunlight?

Max

Old 06-12-2005, 11:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

On 2005-12-06 02:58:01 -0500, "MaxMustermann" said:

Thanks for the tips.

Would it help if I put it under a slanting window where it doesn't get
direct sunlight?

Max

Early morning or late afternoon sun is fine.
Bright light the rest of the day. The more light the better the
varigation on the leaves is.

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

[IMG] code is On

Dieffenbachia compacta MaxMustermann Gardening 2 12-11-2005 05:58 AM
Dieffenbachia questions JC Gardening 4 16-06-2005 02:55 PM
Dripping Dieffenbachia David D. Gardening 4 14-10-2004 12:41 PM
Dieffenbachia/ Dumb Cane FPillar Plant Science 0 02-06-2003 08:08 AM
Dieffenbachia Lemon Tropic Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 0 10-02-2003 01:29 PM