Old 17-12-2005, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What kind of tree is this?

I know this group has had zillions of requests to IDENTIFY THIS PLANT.
Please indulge me for another.

What kind of tree is this?

The leaves were dark red, the tree had bright red berries about 1/2
inch in size, and the tree was about 8-10 feet tall.
Pictures available at
http://www.geocities.com/shoemakerted/tree.html .
These pictures were taken in Roanoke, Virginia, USA, in the fall
(November 2005).

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Old 18-12-2005, 09:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in
message
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one,
Dagwood?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this group has had zillions of requests to IDENTIFY
THIS
PLANT. Please indulge me for another.

What kind of tree is this?

The leaves were dark red, the tree had bright red berries
about
1/2 inch in size, and the tree was about 8-10 feet tall.
Pictures available at
http://www.geocities.com/shoemakerted/tree.html .
These pictures were taken in Roanoke, Virginia, USA, in the
fall
(November 2005).

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Those don't look like the fruit of any dogwood I have ever seen.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 18-12-2005, 09:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

You need to get out more.

http://images.google.com/images?q=co...=Search+Images

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in message
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one, Dagwood?

ups.com...

Old 18-12-2005, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill B

Here's a link that will answer your question-------

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...es/dogwood.htm

Old 18-12-2005, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in
message

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in
message
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one,
Dagwood? wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this group has had zillions of requests to
IDENTIFY
THIS PLANT. Please indulge me for another.

What kind of tree is this?

The leaves were dark red, the tree had bright red berries
about 1/2 inch in size, and the tree was about 8-10 feet
tall.
Pictures available at
http://www.geocities.com/shoemakerted/tree.html .
These pictures were taken in Roanoke, Virginia, USA, in
the
fall (November 2005).

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Those don't look like the fruit of any dogwood I have ever
seen.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Would you like to finance a trip to Florida for me?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 18-12-2005, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Michelle

don't be so hard if my husband can mistake a mule for a horse than
anything is possible.
his direct quote was "wow what an ugly horse what the H*** kind is
it?"
so not knowing what a dogwood tree looks like isn't so bad

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in message
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one, Dagwood?

ups.com...

Old 18-12-2005, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in
message t
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one,
Dagwood?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this group has had zillions of requests to
IDENTIFY
THIS PLANT. Please indulge me for another.

What kind of tree is this?

The leaves were dark red, the tree had bright red
berries
about 1/2 inch in size, and the tree was about 8-10
feet
tall. Pictures available at
http://www.geocities.com/shoemakerted/tree.html .
These pictures were taken in Roanoke, Virginia, USA, in
the
fall (November 2005).

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Those don't look like the fruit of any dogwood I have ever
seen.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

I know Dogwood. I have 3 of them in my yard but none of them
have fruit like the OP posted. Since I am *not* in Florida I
don't have a Cornus florida.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 18-12-2005, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

"Travis M." wrote in message
I know Dogwood. I have 3 of them in my yard but none of them have fruit
like the OP posted. Since I am *not* in Florida I don't have a Cornus
florida.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Cornus Florida is not just native to Florida.. It is native to all
woodlandsfrom Missouri east to the atlantic and south from florida to north
Ohio...

And that tree isnt a Cornus florida ( flowering dogwood) It is a Cornus
Kousa ie. Kousa dogwood. The strawberr-ish fruit is a dead giveaway

Virgo91967
Ky Nursery & Landscape Association Certified Nurseryman

Old 19-12-2005, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one, Dagwood?

Not in the fall.

Thank you to everyone who wrote.

Ted Shoemaker

Old 19-12-2005, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Travis M." wrote:

I know Dogwood. I have 3 of them in my yard but none of them
have fruit like the OP posted. Since I am *not* in Florida I
don't have a Cornus florida.

In the Pacific Northwest, dogwood is a bush called bunchberry. (Cornus
canadense)

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 19-12-2005, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default What kind of tree is this? - Cornus florida

I suppose it is your lame attempt at humor confusing a species epithet with
the name of a state and you really aren't that stupid.

You obviously don't know the "flowering" dogwoods at all.

Cornus florida is found throughout much of the eastern US, is very cold
hardy and widely grown as a hardy tree with several named cultivars with
showy bracts in white, pink or red. There are even named hybrids available
between it and Cornus nuttalii and Cornus kousa.

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in
message t
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see one,
Dagwood?

ups.com...

Old 19-12-2005, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Anthony B" wrote in message

"Travis M." wrote in message
I know Dogwood. I have 3 of them in my yard but none of them
have fruit like the OP posted. Since I am *not* in Florida I
don't have a Cornus florida.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Cornus Florida is not just native to Florida.. It is native to
all
woodlandsfrom Missouri east to the atlantic and south from
florida
to north Ohio...

And that tree isnt a Cornus florida ( flowering dogwood) It is
Cornus Kousa ie. Kousa dogwood. The strawberr-ish fruit is a
dead
giveaway
Virgo91967
Ky Nursery & Landscape Association Certified Nurseryman

I have a Cornus kousa and the fruit does not look like those the
OP referred.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 19-12-2005, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Travis M." wrote:

I know Dogwood. I have 3 of them in my yard but none of them
have fruit like the OP posted. Since I am *not* in Florida I
don't have a Cornus florida.

In the Pacific Northwest, dogwood is a bush called bunchberry.
(Cornus canadense)

In the PNW the native dogwood (Pacific Dogwood or Western
Dogwood) is Cornus nuttallii. It is native from Northern
California to to British Columbia. Cornus canadensis (Bunch
Berry)is native from Northern California to Alaska.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 19-12-2005, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Cereus-validus-.." wrote in
message

wrote:

You need to get out more.

http://images.google.com/images?q=co...=Search+Images

"Travis M." wrote in
message
"Cereus-validus-.." wrote
in
message
Don't you recognize a flowering dogwood when you see
one,
Dagwood?

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]