Old 30-12-2005, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dahlias in the Front Yard

We just removed some huge trees from our front yard, which now makes it
the biggest, sunniest spot on our small suburban property. I've always
wanted to grow an assortment of dahlias, and now I have the room.
However, I know that dahlias need to be supported, and I'm afraid the
supports (tomato cages or bailing wire supports, for example) would be
too unsightly for a front yard in suburbia. Any advice on how to grow
dahlias in the front yard and not annoy the neighbors?

-Fleemo

Old 30-12-2005, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Dahlias in the Front Yard or how to impress nosy neighbors!!

Annoy the neighbors?

Your neighbors apparently need to get a life of their own.

Why not preempt the problem and ask your nosy neighbors for advice?

oups.com...

Old 30-12-2005, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
We just removed some huge trees from our front yard, which now makes it
the biggest, sunniest spot on our small suburban property. I've always
wanted to grow an assortment of dahlias, and now I have the room.
However, I know that dahlias need to be supported, and I'm afraid the
supports (tomato cages or bailing wire supports, for example) would be
too unsightly for a front yard in suburbia. Any advice on how to grow
dahlias in the front yard and not annoy the neighbors?

-Fleemo

Hoop supports like these are one way of dealing with floppy plants:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2C01246C

Or, if that link expires,here's the original:

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...&OfferCode=S3H

Garden stores sell green ones, which are less conspicuous. But, some plants
simply defy wire structures, and you may need to make something out of
wooden stakes, cut shorter, lashed together with twine, and painted a dark
color.

No matter what you use, the larger dahlias will cover them with foliage
fairly quickly. In the meantime, the hell with the neighbors.

Old 30-12-2005, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

wrote:
We just removed some huge trees from our front yard, which now makes it
the biggest, sunniest spot on our small suburban property. I've always
wanted to grow an assortment of dahlias, and now I have the room.
However, I know that dahlias need to be supported, and I'm afraid the
supports (tomato cages or bailing wire supports, for example) would be
too unsightly for a front yard in suburbia. Any advice on how to grow
dahlias in the front yard and not annoy the neighbors?

-Fleemo

Wow! You must have some really snooty neighbors if you
think that they will be offended by supports for your
Dahlias. You could always spray the supports green to make
them less noticeable.

As you can see from the pictures of my Dahlias,
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/dahlias1.htm I use
(unpainted) tomato support rings and I have never had a
complaint. I receive lots of compliments about my Dahlias
and always ask the person if they would like to take a few
home for a cut flower arrangement. Try that (giving some to
your neighbors); you will find that it soothes even the
snootiest of neighbors.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 31-12-2005, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
We just removed some huge trees from our front yard, which now makes it
the biggest, sunniest spot on our small suburban property. I've always
wanted to grow an assortment of dahlias, and now I have the room.
However, I know that dahlias need to be supported, and I'm afraid the
supports (tomato cages or bailing wire supports, for example) would be
too unsightly for a front yard in suburbia. Any advice on how to grow
dahlias in the front yard and not annoy the neighbors?

-Fleemo

Issues of the neighbors aside, I can tell you from experience that tomato
cages are inadequate for supporting dahlias. This year I got metal fence
posts from the farm supply (you can get them at HD or Lowe's) and used them.
They come painted green with a white top. I sprayed the top green and they
blended into the landscape fairly well. You need something that is strong
and about 6 feet high for dahlias. Here are some pictures:
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...to&PhotoID=713

http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...to&PhotoID=717

Old 31-12-2005, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

Members of the dahlia society here generally use a 7 or 8 foot length of
rebar - some kinds are painted green. They don't need to be set until the
sprouting tubers go into the ground, and if you want to be a little daring,
you can even wait until the sprouts are above the ground, and hope not to
spear the tuber with the end of the rebar. Of course, the rebar needs to be
pounded strongly into the ground. Well-grown dahlias have "trunks" not
stems, and they carry a tremendous amount of water weight - besides the
weight of the blooms when they finally come.
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old 01-01-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Your neighbors apparently need to get a life of their own.

Indeed. But here in Northern California, four homes are shoved onto
the space that holds one in other parts of the country, so the
neighbors are a bit more "in your face" here than in some regions.

Doug, those hoops do look pretty pleasing to the eye, but at $12.95 per
hoop, I think I wouldn't have any dough left to buy tubers! :{

Try that (giving some to your neighbors); you will find that it soothes even the snootiest of neighbors.

Good advice, Bill. So do you find that the tomato cages are sufficient
to support the dahlias without them tumbling over? I usually find that
the tomato cages aren't even sufficient for tomatoes! :P

So Vox, Presely, how do you use the fence posts/rebar with the dahlias?
Do you use one per plant and tie the dahlias to them as they grow? Or
do you use a couple to surround the plant, using string or baling wire
every few inches as supports?

Thanks for the input!

-Fleemo

Old 01-01-2006, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
So Vox, Presely, how do you use the fence posts/rebar with the dahlias?
Do you use one per plant and tie the dahlias to them as they grow? Or
do you use a couple to surround the plant, using string or baling wire
every few inches as supports?

I put one in per plant and tie them to it as they grow. The posts cost
about $4 as I recall.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

I know of a user on the Dahlia-net who grows AA sized Dahlias and they are
supported by the upside down tomato cages, and they are show winning Dahlias
too.

for and About Dahlias.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old 01-01-2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Starlord" wrote in message
. ..
I know of a user on the Dahlia-net who grows AA sized Dahlias and they are
supported by the upside down tomato cages, and they are show winning

Dahlias
too.

I tried that and it didn't work for me. First of all, the cages weren't
tall enough and they also pulled out of the ground.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

You totaly MISSED what I said, Note the "UPSIDEDOWN" as in Big hoop sitting
on ground held down with U shaped stakes and his grows to 5 to 6ft tall. And
they don't show up as the plant hides them.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net