Old 04-01-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening zone in Guthrie, Oklahoma

Did Guthrie escape the fires?

I think it did for the most part; I think there was a house on the
near edge of town that was burned down, unfortunately. Maybe more than
one? I don't know. But not the town proper. No one was killed -- not
humans anyway.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

NEWS:

As Oklahoma firefighters extinguished embers near Guthrie, where dozens of homes were damaged by grass fires northeast of Oklahoma City, residents assessed the damage and counted their blessings.

http://newsok.com/article/1723231/?template=home/main
(won't let me copy and paste)

GUTHRIE, Okla. -- Passers-by were able to get an elderly couple out of
their home minutes before it was engulfed by flames from a grass fire.

Gary and Dama Maker were passing by Albert and Wilma Clayton's home in
Guthrie Sunday night when they noticed the couple were inside, there
was no car at the house and a grass fire was spreading across their
lawn.

Albert Clayton, 99, and Wilma Clayton, 87, did not want to leave.

"We told them they had to get out of the house quickly," Dama Maker
said. "It took a lot of convincing. If we had to pick them up and carry
them to the car, we would have."

After they got the couple into the yard, Gary Maker began spraying the
fire with a garden hose, which allowed Dama Maker to coax the Claytons
into the car. Then, a burst of embers from the fire ignited the fence
and, soon after, the house.

"We basically had to trick them to get them into the car and leave
their home," Dama Maker said.

The next morning, the Makers went back to find only charred remains.

Ken Smith, Wilma Clayton's son-in-law, said the couple shopped for some
new clothes on Monday and will eventually progress to house hunting.

"They got out of the house with their two walking canes," Smith said.
"That's all they got out with -- their two canes."

Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

More on Guthrie fires:

http://www.newsok.com/article/1723834/

Old 06-01-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Newsgroup

Excellent site for this! Thank you!

"Travis M." wrote in message
"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
oups.com
That's the problem (thank you for posting the link): but it gives a
reading for Oklahoma City but not for Guthrie.

The zip is 73044; is there someplace I can plug in the zip?

Sorry if I'm not seeing it..

Connie

Is this better? http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=OK

Or this: http://davesgarden.com/pf/zipbyzip.php?zip=73044

If all else fails I would go conservative and say zone 6. Better safe
than sorry.

Remember this is a minimum temperature rating so if you are talking about
summer annuals it don't really matter.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5