Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Gardening zone in Guthrie, Oklahoma

On 2 Jan 2006 17:07:10 -0800
"Boxwood Studios" wrote:

] I'm going to retire soon, and I'm going home where I grew up, in
] Guthrie. One of the things I want to do--besides teach (I'm a music
] teacher)--is gardening. I remember how beautiful both sets of
] grandparents' gardens were. I have been collecting seed catalogs for
] this purpose.
]
] Problem is, I can't figure out what growing zone Guthrie is in, whether
] it's 7a or 6b, since there's a little bump in the chart, just above
] Oklahoma City where Guthrie is. (In the Stokes catalog, for example.)
]
] Anyone know about this?
]

Hi Connie,

No, I don't really know about your zone. But thought I'd say "hi"
in a different group, anyway.

I assume you'll be establishing a new teaching practice, so
how does that count as "retirement?" I can't imagine you'll
be any less invested in the little horrors. (meant entirely
lovingly, of course!)

Re the zone, I'd consider it a risk to try zone 6 plants, as
apparently you will be quite close to the fuzzy edge. Although
you will of course learn more about the real micro-climate when
you find a place.

cheers!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 03-01-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood

Hi Emery! "Retirement" from being on the road. Yeah, it's
interesting that there is a little dip going down from the Zone 7 zone
into the county where Guthrie is, so it's uneven, to say the least. It
occurs to me that we usually visited the grandparents during good
weather, so my memory of the beautiful gardens must have been mainly
during those times.

Cheers,
Connie

Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

On 2 Jan 2006 17:07:10 -0800
"Boxwood Studios" wrote:

[...]

If she is on the zone 6/7 border zone 6 plants should be no
problem. The smaller the zone number the colder.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-01-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:25:27 GMT
"Travis M." wrote:
[]
] If she is on the zone 6/7 border zone 6 plants should be no
] problem. The smaller the zone number the colder.
]

Yes, of course. Pardon the typo, and thanks for the
correction.

-E