Old 15-01-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo

Default Help-- transplants aren't happy.

Hi,

I've been growing red savina habaneros for a while now and I
transplanted them into separate pots and they are wilting (however its
only been about 15 hours since i've moved them). I transplanted the
entire plant including its roots but they seem shocked. Does anyone
have a thought as to why they are beginning to wilt? Is it just
initial shock? Will they come back? Sometimes this happens to me.
Should I supplement their diet with something like a root growing
agent?

Thanks!

Old 15-01-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Raise the humidity, keep them out of wind and sun and in a day or two
they will be over their transplant shock.

Old 15-01-2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo

Not sure how to raise the humidity. I could put a few open dishes of
water near the pots perhaps? Its VERY dry in my home where my growing
area is. I immediately turned off their lights and am blocking sun
light almost entirely from them.

Thanks!

Old 15-01-2006, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"foo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure how to raise the humidity. I could put a few open dishes of
water near the pots perhaps? Its VERY dry in my home where my growing
area is. I immediately turned off their lights and am blocking sun
light almost entirely from them.

Thanks!

First of all, you said you transplanted them "including the roots". This
sounds weird, since seedlings should ALWAYS be moved with a ball of soil
clinging to the roots. Did you shake off a lot of the soil, or did much of
the soil remain intact around them?

While you're figuring this out, get the plants away from ALL SUNLIGHT. Put
them in a corner where they'll get no direct sunlight. And, you might want
to start some new seeds, in case you have a 100% fatality rate.

Now, please describe the entire growing procedure you used, beginning with
the seeds, what type of pots, etc.

Old 15-01-2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo

Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding.

These weren't seedlings. Probably due to my lack of judgment I let the
peppers grow for about three months. They have a 160 day cycle
generally when I grow them indoors. They are currently about 120 days
and I know I should have transplanted them sooner but, c'est la vie.

I moved the entire plant, including root ball and planted them in new
soil approximately 4-5" deep in an 8" pot. I let the entire root ball
remain intact when I transplated them.

I grew the plants in a large 20-24" (?) clay pot. I grew 7 plants
starting from seed. They began in this pot and have flourished
wonderfully. Big, full leaves, perfect growth, strong stems, etc. I
did check the roots for discoloration (e.g. not white) and they all
looked healthy. I used a lot of their existing soil from the large pot
to keep things "copacetic". Whether or not that does anything i'm
unsure.

Hope this helps the diagnosis!

Old 16-01-2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"foo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes. Very young seedlings are more prone to damage than older plants. Like I
said - NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT until the plants perk up. Make sure the pots
aren't in dishes/trays with standing water. If they have been in standing
water, put them on a cookie cooling rack or something overnight so the
excess water drains out.

You can raise the humidity by enclosing each plant in a plastic bag. Use
some sort of stick taller than the plant to make sure the plastic isn't
touching the leaves. BUT, this could also cause the whole plant to rot, so
you may need to fiddle with the arrangement so the bags aren't totally
sealed. "Just enough", whatever that means.

Old 16-01-2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Hi Foo,
I think a simple solution would be to take a spray bottle with water
and mist them,
as needed.

Sherwin D.

Old 16-01-2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
foo

ooo good idea! I'll mist them now before work!