Old 27-03-2003, 05:32 PM
mefromhere

Default Ivy

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Old 27-03-2003, 06:32 PM
paghat

In article ,
"mefromhere" wrote:

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

I got rid of a shitload of destructive ivy (with a hired helper) but
digging it out. I saved one root as big around as Popeye's arm & gnarly &
cool. A bit of the ivy grew back the following year, but not much, it was
easy to get the last remnants. It was one hell of a chore, I was glad not
to have to do it alone, but now it's gone, & today where there was once
nothing but an endless sea of ivy there is an elaborate garden with scores
of different plants. For a long time after I was very resisting planting
ivy anywhere even knowing the small cultivars are not invasive
troublemakers, but emotionally I couldn't stand the stuff for a while. I
eventually overcame that & planted a half-dozen dwarf cultivars of English
ivy.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 28-03-2003, 03:56 AM
John S. DeBoo

mefromhere wrote:

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

I sure hope someone responds as I too have a lot of it, growing in the
neighbors (&#$!&@#))%^#$#&*) yard, not mine but it has grown over our common
cinderblock wall and is coming thru the cedar fence on my side. I've tried
weed killer, clorox and damned near everything in my garage and it as well as
their &#%@$^$* chinese elm trees continue to grow and intrude on my space. Oh,
no sense in asking them, they are renters and slobs to boot.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 AM
jammer

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:46:19 -0700, "John S. DeBoo"
wrote:

mefromhere wrote:

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

I sure hope someone responds as I too have a lot of it, growing in the
neighbors (&#$!&@#))%^#$#&*) yard, not mine but it has grown over our common
cinderblock wall and is coming thru the cedar fence on my side. I've tried
weed killer, clorox and damned near everything in my garage and it as well as
their &#%@$^$* chinese elm trees continue to grow and intrude on my space. Oh,
no sense in asking them, they are renters and slobs to boot.

Then contact the owner.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 28-03-2003, 09:20 PM
JNJ

I sure hope someone responds as I too have a lot of it, growing in the
neighbors (&#$!&@#))%^#$#&*) yard, not mine but it has grown over our

common
cinderblock wall and is coming thru the cedar fence on my side. I've

tried
weed killer, clorox and damned near everything in my garage and it as well

as
their &#%@$^$* chinese elm trees continue to grow and intrude on my space.

Oh,
no sense in asking them, they are renters and slobs to boot.

Contact the owner. If/when that doesn't work, contact your attorney.

James

Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 PM
JNJ

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten

trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

Your best starting place on this one is the easiest -- your neighbor. They
have a responsibility to keep their landscape features out of your landscape
to within reason. If they refuse you may need to contact an attorney. One
thing to consider -- as much as you may hate it and want to kill it, if it
originates on their property you cannot do harm to the whole plant without
their consent; otherwise, you'd REALLY be opening yourself up for pain.

James

Old 29-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

mefromhere wrote:

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

I sure hope someone responds as I too have a lot of it, growing in the
neighbors (&#$!&@#))%^#$#&*) yard, not mine but it has grown over our common
cinderblock wall and is coming thru the cedar fence on my side. I've tried
weed killer, clorox and damned near everything in my garage and it as well as
their &#%@$^$* chinese elm trees continue to grow and intrude on my space. Oh,
no sense in asking them, they are renters and slobs to boot.

Then contact the owner.

I don't think there are any "curb your ivy" laws. With trees, you are
ganerally entitled to trim any branches intruding into your property,
but you can't sue people for seeds from 'their' dandelions that blow
into your yard. City 'Codes & Compliance' may require that grass,
weeds, etc. not be allowed to exceed a certain height. One might argue
that ivy climbing (with support) to a height of 40' or more was "too
tall," but a lot of people would laugh at you.
Old 29-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:23:38 -0000, "mefromhere"
wrote:

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

Check Google groups for 'ivy' topics here. It is almost impossible to
kill without pulling up/digging up. Its waxy leaves protect all but
the youngest tips from absorbing any kind of sprayed or 'painted on'
weedkiller. You can try cutting off and pulling up the stems from the
far side, and very carefully working around your plants. To stop
recurrence, be meticulous about pulling up intruders.

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM