Old 29-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Maggie4185

Default Shade Rose

Anyone have a Zephirine Drouhin Antique Climbing Rose from Jackson Perkins? It
is a rose for the shade that blooms all season. I am looking for such a rose
for my garden here in Missouri - zone 5/6. Thanks!

Maggie

Old 29-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Pam

Maggie4185 wrote:

Anyone have a Zephirine Drouhin Antique Climbing Rose from Jackson Perkins? It
is a rose for the shade that blooms all season. I am looking for such a rose
for my garden here in Missouri - zone 5/6. Thanks!

Maggie

ZD is more shade tolerant than many roses, but no rose will do well in much shade.
At the very minimum, it will need at least 4 hours of direct sun a day in order to
bloom well.

pam - gardengal

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom & Debbie

I'm wondering if Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, TX, could help you with
your search?
1-800-441-0002.
debbie

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Laura Stanley

I guess I don't understand your question; are you asking where you can buy
Zephirine Drouhin roses or are you asking for gardeners' experiences with
them?

If you're asking where you can buy them, I checked their website and it
looks like Jackson and Perkins still has Zephirine Drouhin roses in stock. I
did a google search and came up with another site that sells them and
appears to still have them in stock:

http://www.heirloomroses.com/express...at=13&item=136

I have never ordered from this company before, so I don't know if it is any
good. Check the Plants By Mail FAQ before you buy.

You can also run your own google search on "Zephirine Drouhin rose" and
search through the results and you might find some more nurseries that have
them. (I don't have time now to look through all 667 results right now!)

I bought 3 Zephirine Drouhin roses from Wayside Gardens earlier this year.
They are growing strongly so far, but I won't be able to give you an opinion
of them for a couple of years. Mine are planted on a west-facing wall, so
they get morning shade/afternoon sun. Of course, my opinion is probably not
worth much to you anyway, since I am in NW Florida and have very different
climate/growing conditions!

Laura
USDA Zone 8b, NW FL

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
NewsUser

Check www.heirloomroses.com for "Darlow's Enigma", a rambling rose they say
grows unfazed by complete shade in their display gardens. Winter hardy,
zones 4-10. I planted some last year in a spot that gets three to four hours
of morning sun; waiting to see how it goes.
karen

Old 30-03-2003, 08:08 AM
gregpresley

Sometimes when Dr. Huey, a rambler that is used as rootstock for a lot of
hybrid teas and other kinds of modern roses grows out of the graft and takes
over, it will survive and bloom well in some very marginal rose conditions.
When I moved into my current house, someone had obviously had some hybrid
teas that died, but not the rootstock, which was Dr. Huey. At this point the
climber was in the shade between an apricot tree and an apple tree, yet had
the prolific brick red blooms in abundance in June that is normal for it.
However, under those conditions the leaves were also covered with powdery
mildew. All in all, Zephyrine is a much superior rose - but not the only one
that will survive suboptimal conditions.

Old 31-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Sunflower

"Maggie4185" wrote in message
Anyone have a Zephirine Drouhin Antique Climbing Rose from Jackson

Perkins? It
is a rose for the shade that blooms all season. I am looking for such a

rose
for my garden here in Missouri - zone 5/6. Thanks!

Maggie

It mildews and blackspots terribly and doesn't bloom more than once where
the summer temperatures regularly get above 90°. It also takes about 3
years to be able to even do that. Check out the hybrid musk class of roses
at www.helpmefind.com/