Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
ande

Default Advice on Sears lawn tractor

I also agree on the Kohler. Briggs and Straton were good motors several
years back, but they changed the production and now are made of a cheaper
grade of metal that will overheat alot faster and before long you got a
blown motor. I went for the John Deere line that Home Depot is carrying
this spring. You got to look close though because certain models have
Kohler engines (L110, L130) and other models have Briggs and Straton (L100,
L120). You can be mowing with a John Deere for about the same money that
you quoted on the Craftsman.

"Bonnevilles Rawk" wrote in message
I'm partial to Kohler engines and Gravely tractors. Though neither has
anything to do with Pontiac but Gravely was a division of Studebaker.

In article , says...
can't say much for the mower it's self but the motor will be an

excellent
one.........briggs and stratton is bout the best around!
"Mike" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a brand new Sears lawn tractor, Craftsman 20HP

with
42" mower deck for $1200.00 (US) It is a Briggs and Stratton twin

cylinder
overhead valve engine. I have just less then 1 acre of land, I know

this
is
much more then I need but sounds like a great deal.

Just wondering if anyone may have good or bad experience with Sears

tractors
or the same engine. It is a 6 speed transmission. Sears is having a
special for $1200.00.

Any feedback on this tractor or even any other Sears Lawn tractors

would
be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

Old 03-04-2003, 12:56 AM
KEITH STELTER

True, but that line of John Deere tractors isn't much better than a
craftsman. Same goes for the new line of Cub Cadets that they sell at home
improvement places!
Both companies still sell their "good" tractors only through dealers.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:32 PM
ande

I don't believe that John Deere is going to put their name on a lawn tractor
that is no better than the weekly special at Walmart.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 PM
KEITH STELTER

Better look at it again!
Thin mower deck, non-repairable bearing housings, bushings instead of
bearings in critical areas, etc.
I don't own one myself. I'm just going by the consumer info on the new lines
from both JD & Cub, and the opinions of some friends who have bought them.
They literally ARE the same as the store brands!

Old 03-04-2003, 11:08 PM
ande

I do own one and have always owned a John Deere as my primary mower. Have
used other brands, but like they say "Nothing runs like a Deere". The last
one was purchased from the local John Deere dealer and of course it was made
of heavier material. So were older automobiles. Look, I'm just speaking
from personal experience here. Not anybody's opinion. I happen to be
female and had the new JD mower looked over by a seasoned and experienced
mechanic because I know if anyone knows how to find the faults in new age
manufacturing, he could do it. I got a lot of mower for my money. Only
downside I have found with compared to the old Deere is it doesn't ride
quite as smooth although the handling is better. JMO.

Old 04-04-2003, 01:24 AM
FarmerDill

I don't own one myself. I'm just going by the consumer info on the new lines
from both JD & Cub, and the opinions of some friends who have bought them.
They literally ARE the same as the store brands!

Agreed: Apparently John Deere gave up on The Sabre by JD name and just use JD
on the mass mechandise product.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 PM
matt

Whats the 0-60 time? quarter mile?

Old 05-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Nick Trounson

Now where'd I see that Chrysler V8 powered lawnmower... *grin*

Nick.
Fiero3800 -----------------
220HP supercar for the next generation!

Old 05-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Mike

I ended up purchasing the sears tractor, they just delivered it today.. I
know the feedback was not all that great about sears products, but I was
just too tempted for the price and also I feel for what I need it for will
be light work for the tractor so hoping it will last about 10 years...

I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback, it was a big help, also I
accidentally posted to alt.autos.pontiac by mistake and I still got some
good feedback there too!

Thanks very much to everyone that resounded!

Mike

Old 23-04-2003, 09:32 PM
JayPomp

Good for you...that feedback was crap anyways.

Going on my 4th year with the same one you got with the hydrostat
trans being the only difference. I love the damn thing and it's a good
quality tractor. Don't listen to anyone. I made my decision based on
Consumer Reports. They're online and it's only like ten bucks to join
and there is a WHOLE SECTION on tractors and Craftsman models are
right up there with ALLLLLL the others with complete reviews, pros,
cons, etc.

TWENTY HORSE POWER bogging down?!?! What are you trying to cut
cement?!?! Dude in the fall I have pounds and pounds of leaves
everywhere...I use the mulch kit and turn EVERYTHING into DUST!

Bagger hard to use? Cmon you've got to be kidding me. The bagger is
simple...pick it up, slide it on, put the pin in. It's not rocket
science...My bagger has NOT clogged yet either!

OVERHEAT a fully pressurized V-Twin oil system? What are you trying to
do? Tow your house??? A fully pressurized oil system WITH a fan will
NOT overheat.

You must be nuts.

Congratulations on your new tractor. You'll have YEARS of satisfaction
with it...definitely more than 10. I use mine from April right up to
December. From cutting grass to mulching leaves to hauling loads of
stuff with the dumpcart, and the aerator attactment.

"Mike" wrote in message
I am about to purchase a brand new Sears lawn tractor, Craftsman 20HP with

42" mower deck for $1200.00 (US) It is a Briggs and Stratton twin

cylinder
overhead valve engine. I have just less then 1 acre of land, I know this

is
much more then I need but sounds like a great deal.

Just wondering if anyone may have good or bad experience with Sears

tractors
or the same engine. It is a 6 speed transmission. Sears is having a
special for $1200.00.

Any feedback on this tractor or even any other Sears Lawn tractors would

be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

[IMG] code is On

Problem with Sears and lawn tractor MJF Lawns 2 08-04-2007 02:25 PM
Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 18-01-2006 10:28 PM
Sears Lawn Tractor: Kohler Engine: Runs then quits..... Fred Lawns 10 05-11-2005 07:13 AM
Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 04-03-2005 12:34 AM
Help - Need junk Sears lawn tractor Chuck Jurgens Lawns 8 23-05-2003 02:08 AM