Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Darby Wiggins

Default What kind of flower is this?

YES YES YES...that's it. Oh...thanks....I did a search and found this page....its
it. Thanks...I knew it had to be a common plant.

Thank you so much. I plan to purchase many bulbs this fall. Oh, they are so pretty.
Thanks Tyra!

Now, how to you pronounce it Hi-a-sin-th?

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p...dea/A458.shtml

Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

Darby Wiggins wrote:

If you click on this link, the purple flowers on the left look like the
one I am
talking about, but I can't be sure without seeing more.

http://www.mechellesflowersbymail.co...et_flowers.htm

Can anyone direct me to more info?
Darby

Darby,
It's kinda fuzzy but looks like the common garden hyacinth, which would be in
bloom right now in northern Virginia. Do a search for Hyacinthus orientalis or
Dutch hyacinth, or simply hyacinth.....you'll find many links with photos.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

Old 07-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Darby Wiggins

Tyra,
Question, how long will they stay in bloom? the site doesn't say much about it
other than to remove spent blooms. Will doing that promote new bloom growth or just
give it some "rest"
Darby

Old 08-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Darby Wiggins wrote:

Tyra,
Question, how long will they stay in bloom? the site doesn't say much about
it
other than to remove spent blooms. Will doing that promote new bloom growth
or just
give it some "rest"
Darby

Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

Darby Wiggins
wrote:

If you click on this link, the purple flowers on the left look like the
one I am
talking about, but I can't be sure without seeing more.

http://www.mechellesflowersbymail.co...et_flowers.htm

Can anyone direct me to more info?
Darby

Darby,
It's kinda fuzzy but looks like the common garden hyacinth, which would

be in
bloom right now in northern Virginia. Do a search for Hyacinthus orientalis

or
Dutch hyacinth, or simply hyacinth.....you'll find many links with photos.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

It's hard to predict how long the blooms will last. Much is dependent on
weather conditions, but it's still just a very few weeks. Watch how they do in
the campus plantings and you'll get a good idea of what you can expect in your
garden if you give them similar growing conditions. There's not much you can
do to extend the bloom period.....just make sure they've got enough moisture so
they can give it their best shot. There's no point in deadheading individual
blooms (unless you want to go bonkers!). When the bloom spike is spent, cut it
right down and allow the foliage to ripen in order to provide nourishment and
strength for the following year's bloom.

And yes, it's pronounced "HY-uh-sinth." And the flowers have a very strong,
distinctive, and (if you like it) delicious scent. They're available in many
shades of pink, blue, and white. I believe there's at least one soft yellow
variety, which I've used for forcing indoors.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa with about 6 inches of new snow........

Old 08-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:39:48 -0400, Darby Wiggins
wrote:

First, I agree I should be the one to post a picture, but that is not an option,
hence the reason I am seeking advise.

Second, I'm not trying to be difficult, I just do not know a whole lot about
plants and proper terms to use ect. I'm slowly learning and do apologize for
not being more clear on the description, but I don't know how to describe them
better. If your interested in helping educate me, great. If not, Fine. If you
want a ****ing match, I'm not interested.

It's hard to tell when a "discussion" is going to turn into one. :-)

Have you tried this site?

http://www.colby.edu/info.tech/BI211/PlantFamilyID.html
Old 08-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Frogleg

Oops. Cancel previous msg

http://www.colby.edu/info.tech/BI211/PlantFamilyID.html

I looked at this site too briefly. It probably won't help you, but
it's interesting. :-)

Old 08-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

First, I agree I should be the one to post a picture, but that is not an option,
hence the reason I am seeking advise.

This looks promising.

http://www.bcpl.net/~cadavis/cmapig/initialpage.html
Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Except that the flowers of the Hyacinth are six parted not five parted, they
are tubular with recurved lobes and not at all bell-shaped and the flower
stems never reach two feet in length. Other than that your description fits
perfectly. Narf. Its difficult to imagine you could not recognize sometime
as commonplace as a Hyacinth nor could you find a picture of it. You should
have asked around campus and most people would have told you what it is.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Darby Wiggins

Well, since Its pretty obvious that I am very very new to flowers and never paid
much attention to them, its not surprising to me that I was not able to make the
connection between the importance of knowing if the flower was five or six
parted or is tubular ect. and I've always had tremendous difficulty estimating
time, distance, height ect. As far as it being commonplace, I'm new to flowers
and only recently began to pay any attention to them. I asked folks on campus
and they had a blank look in their eyes as if to say "how the hell would I
know?". Perhaps as time goes by and I become more versed in flower types and all
that goes into gardening, I will better be able to identify flowers.

But everyone should remember, when you find a passion, as you all have, you tend
to become so involved with it that at times it can be hard to believe that an
"outsider" doesn't know the basics like you do. I'm like that with figure
skating. Trying to explain a jump or spin to an average joe who only flips
through the channels and maybe stops on skating for a moment drives me crazy! I
wonder, "how can you not know what a scratch spin is?" G

Thanks for all of your help. I plan to be planing MANY of these beauties this
fall.

Darby

Old 08-04-2003, 08:32 PM
ande

She said she was new at this. She is making an attempt to learn these
things. So she didn't word it just right to your specifications. Give her
a break!

"Cereoid+10+" wrote in message
.com...
Scilla, Hyacinthoides and Ornithogalum have six parted flowers not five
parted.

The more info we get, the less clear a picture we get of the plant.
Now we know the original info we got was completely wrong and this

modified
version isn't much better. Are the flowers bell shaped or aren't they?

Darby should be the one to provide a picture of her plant not us.

Tyra Trevellyn wrote in message
Darby Wiggins wrote:

Oh, okay. I'm new here and obviously, didn't give a very good

description.
I'm
not familiar with some "gardening" terms, so bare with me.

The reason why I don't think its a particularly rare plant and assumed
(perhaps incorrectly) that it was a perennial is that my employer is

not
known
for being particularly interested in spending any amount of time

dealing
with
landscaping. I can't image that they would spend the time or money to

purchase
flowers every year and plant them. They have a hard enough time keeping
the
grass mowed and fairly fresh mulch down. So, I concluded that they

would
be
more apt to plant a bulb once and walk away without any intention of

"helping"
it along.

By looking at the pictures, It does not look like it is Lily of the

Valley,
but is somewhat similar. I didn't take measurements. Let me re-adjust

my
estimate on the height from the ground to the very top at approx. 12-14
inches. (yeah, its a far cry from 2 feet. not great with evaluating

these
kinds of things). The stem appears to be fairly thick, maybe 1/4 -1/2 "
in
diameter( a bit wider than a thick asparagus)

The top 1/3 is covered with individual flowers, similar to the picture
of the
LoTV. But the flowers are bigger. Each flower seems to have a small

stem
of
its own that comes off the main stem. I'd say its maybe 1/4 -1/2 inch

in
length..longer the farther down the main stem you are and shorter as

you
reach
the top. The small stems grow upward and then the flower comes out of

it.

The flowers are delicate looking, but are fairly sturdy when handling

them.
They have a waxy feel to them. The base of the flower is in the shape

of
bell. Now, imagine a bell turned upside down. What was the top of the

bell,
is
now the base of the flower and is attached to a small stem. Instead of

the
bell only slightly narrowing and then stopping, the round bell portion

stays
the same but then as it narrows it also elongates and the "lip" of the

bell
actually comes close to closing. But it doesn't The flowers have

approx.
five
"tips" (I can't think of a better word) that fold outward in a curl

backward
underneath. (Imagine you have say, a cupcake liner and you cut the

sides
halfway down, perpendicular to the base, then fold the edges outward

allowing
for a curl in the folds. This is what the tips do) The center of the

flower
has a slight yellow look to it.

The bloom is approx. 1/2" in height and when the "tips" are folded

outward,
its maybe 1/4" a bit more in diameter, BUT this is the widest part of

the
bloom. The bell portion of the base is no more than 1/8" in diameter.

The blooms are fairly evenly spaced along the main stem and since the

width
of
the flower is greater at its top then base, it often appears that there
are
more blooms on the plant then there actually is. That extra width at

the
top
of the bloom adds to the appearance of a fairly densely group of

blooms,
but
its only an allusion.

In the picture, the blooms were too small and spaced too far apart.

They
also
lacked the roundness at the base of the "bell" that this plant has, but
the
picture does show the elongation of the bloom but not the folding back

of
the
tips and their curling under.

Most of the blooms were white, though I did see a few on other plants

that
were a brownish color....(not spoiled) but more of the color of

butternut
squash.

If someone could provide a link to some good pictures, I might be able

find
the plant, but I've looked and can't find any that resemble this.

Please feel free to ask questions if I didn't make things clear. And we
don't
have a horticulture dept. and calling landscaping would be

pointless....they
have even less of an idea about plants than I do.

Darby

It could be something in the squill (Scilla) genus, or perhaps

Hyacinthoides
hispanica (Spanish bluebells, wood hyacinth), formerly part of that

genus.....I
believe the designation was changed a while back. These normally bloom

later
in spring, however, but it's worth a look at the photo link below, or do

search for lots more photos and info. (These bulbs can produce white,

pink,
or blue blooms, depending on variety.) See if this is close to what

you're
seeing.

http://www.twofrog.com/scillacamp.html

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

Old 08-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Darby Wiggins

Thanks Ande.

I am new at this and freely own up to my sever limitations when it comes to
these things. However, I do take pride in my willingness own up to my
shortcomings and willingness to overcome them. Nice to know that we have some
folks here who are willing to assist me in the learning process!

I'll let you all know how my summer flower garden comes out and how bulb
planting goes in the fall! I'm awful excited at the opportunities to "play"
around with types of flowers and such. Perhaps I'll get into planing veggie
gardens....but I have such a small space, I don't think it would work.

Darby

Old 08-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Cereoid+10+

Word it right?

Not knowing the difference between five and six is not a simply a matter of
wording it right.

What she described is nothing like the flower of a hyacinth.

The problem is with observation and describing what is actually being seen
not just in wording it right. Most people are very poor observers and very
bad eye witnesses because they tend to see what they want to see and not
what is actually there.

Simply posting a picture would have saved a lot of time and pointless grief.

A google image search for "flower bulb" would have quickly produced a
picture of something as commonplace as the Hyacinth. I have no idea which
arcane key words she was using that made the search so difficult.

"

Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 PM
ande

I'm glad to see your interest in gardening. You will be surprised how fast
you will learn and pick up on things. Feel free to ask any questions you
may have. You can email me if you like (ask me for correct address). If
you are interested in veggies, you can grow them in small spaces, even
containers! Just remember when others tend to forget...We all started at
the beginning at some time or another.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 PM
ande

Not everyone's brain uses the same thought processes as yours. That doesn't
make them wrong or ignorant. We are all different but created equal. Don't
give someone a hard time for not knowing and trying to learn. The crime
would be in not knowing and just assuming.

A google image search for "flower bulb" would have quickly produced a
picture of something as commonplace as the Hyacinth. I have no idea which
arcane key words she was using that made the search so difficult.

What makes you think that she knew it was a bulb to start with?

.. .

Old 09-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

How long have you been doing comedy?

You're not very good at it.

You sure do assume a lot too!

We are all supposed to be considered equal in the eyes of the law, not in
the real world, and that only applies to the legal system in the US. Of
course most minorities would debate whether that is true based on their
personal experience. They don't live in a plastic bubble like you do.

ande wrote in message
Not everyone's brain uses the same thought processes as yours. That

doesn't
make them wrong or ignorant. We are all different but created equal.

Don't
give someone a hard time for not knowing and trying to learn. The crime
would be in not knowing and just assuming.

A google image search for "flower bulb" would have quickly produced a
picture of something as commonplace as the Hyacinth. I have no idea

which
arcane key words she was using that made the search so difficult.

What makes you think that she knew it was a bulb to start with?

.. .

Old 10-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Darby Wiggins

Your a real piece of work, you know that? If I wasn't such a nice person, I'd
wish all your plants to die on you...Opps, did I just say that???

Darby

ande wrote in message
Not everyone's brain uses the same thought processes as yours. That

doesn't
make them wrong or ignorant. We are all different but created equal.

Don't
give someone a hard time for not knowing and trying to learn. The crime
would be in not knowing and just assuming.

A google image search for "flower bulb" would have quickly produced a
picture of something as commonplace as the Hyacinth. I have no idea

which
arcane key words she was using that made the search so difficult.

What makes you think that she knew it was a bulb to start with?

.. .