Old 04-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Darby Wiggins

Default What kind of flower is this?

I just passed by some really gorgeous flowers on campus today and am
interested in knowing what they are. I think they are a perennial as
George Mason University is too cheap to buy annuals or to keep up with
the care of them. Its about 2 feet tall and the top 3 maybe 4" of it is
covered with delicate small white flowers that are bell shaped. The
individual flowers are rather deep and then the tips fold outward. They
have a slightly yellow center. Currently, they smell similar to
gardenias. They're in bloom now and are just wonderful! Most are white
but I did see some that were a creamy brown color....almos the color of
butternut squash on the outside.

Any ideas what this is? I think its fairly popular as again, my work
would not go out of its way to get some rare flower, or one that did not
need a lot of care.

Cheers
Darby

Old 04-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Cereoid+10+

Being to cheap to buy annuals would not be the reason why certain favorite
traditional perennials are planted.

Although you did not describe the foliage or whether the flowers are six
parted, I would suspect you are alluding to "Lilly of the Valley"
(Convallaria majalis), a sentimental favorite. They were probably planted
there long before you were born.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rossrut...%20majalis.jpg

http://www.dutchbulbs.com/cat/S2002/images/74161.jpg

Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 AM
gregpresley

I'm not sure this is what she was referring to, Cereoid, since she describes
the plants as being about 2 feet tall.
. ..

Old 05-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Cereoid+10+

Lets wait until she replies before making any more rash decisons.

I really don't believe she actually took any precise measurements, if you
know what I mean.

It would be nice if she actually described the plant after looking at it up
close.

I have seen "Lilly of the Valley" planted on college campuses before.

Hyacinths would seem far less likely.

gregpresley wrote in message
I'm not sure this is what she was referring to, Cereoid, since she

describes
the plants as being about 2 feet tall.
. ..

Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 06:30:28 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Lets wait until she replies before making any more rash decisons.

I really don't believe she actually took any precise measurements, if you
know what I mean.

It would be nice if she actually described the plant after looking at it up
close.

I have seen "Lilly of the Valley" planted on college campuses before.

Hyacinths would seem far less likely.

gregpresley wrote in message
I'm not sure this is what she was referring to, Cereoid, since she

describes
the plants as being about 2 feet tall.

The difference between an unmeasured two feet (with white and creamy
brown blossoms) and an actual height of 8" with white flowers seems
too great a distinction to attribute to careless observation. "Covered
with delicate white flowers" also doesn't sound like LotV, which can
be easily described and identified. In addition, LotV are not in bloom
now (150mi S. of George Mason U.)

I would suggest calling the college and asking to be put in touch with
the landscaping department.

Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Cereoid+10+

I would suggest calling the college and asking to be put in touch with
the landscaping department.

Why don't you do that?

Let us know what you hear from the landscape department. Is that in the same
building as horticulture? You think George Mason University is heavy into
gardening? LOL

Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Frogleg

Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:26:20 GMT

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 16:12:14 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:
Frogleg wrote
I would suggest calling the college and asking to be put in touch with
the landscaping department.

Why don't you do that?

Let us know what you hear from the landscape department. Is that in the same
building as horticulture? You think George Mason University is heavy into
gardening? LOL

Why should I call George Mason U.? The OP is in the area -- let
him/her do it. I'm sure there are people paid to both plant things and
keep landscaping in trim. I very much doubt they are phoneless. If
there is any kind of switchboard maintained by Real People, it should
be possible to contact *someone* associated with campus maintainence.
In fact, if they have an academic (as opposed to practical) botany or
horticulture department, it might be interesting to send a few
students out on a campus plant ID field trip.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 22:01:05 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

Do a google search for George Mason University and find out for yourself
that you don't have a clue what you are babbling about.

If you are that interested in finding out, you call them.

I don't understand your wrath. The OP said he/she was walking by
George Mason U. and saw flowers he/she'd like identified. I suggested
calling the university and getting in touch with their groundskeeping
staff. *I* don't need to have the flower identified -- I was simply
offering a suggestion that seemed quite reasonable to me. If the
poster is in the area, it doesn't seem outrageous to suggest a phone
call.

If you want to prove me wrong, then you make the effort.

Oh, you're mad because I said Lily of the Valley isn't 2' tall..

http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/plan...ilyvalley.html
http://www.veseys.com/store.cfm?cat=45
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/searc...+of+the+valley
http://www.magdalin.com/herbal/plant...y_o_t_valy.htm
http://www.theplantexpert.com/spring...theValley.html

(And I've got 'em growing and spreading all over my garden.)

If you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is, you may as well
just sit down and shut up.

Why be so rude? I didn't say I knew what the flower was, only that it
wasn't Lily of the Valley. I disagreed with you -- is *that* the
crime?

People who freely tell others to do what they won't do themselves are not
worth listening to.

I am more than willing to accept ideas, information, sources, and
URLs that other people are kind enough to suggest. You, for example,
have provided a great deal of information which I've regarded as
informed and reliable. And have said so more than once.

Frogleg wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 16:12:14 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
Frogleg wrote

Old 07-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Darby Wiggins

Oh, okay. I'm new here and obviously, didn't give a very good description. I'm
not familiar with some "gardening" terms, so bare with me.

The reason why I don't think its a particularly rare plant and assumed
(perhaps incorrectly) that it was a perennial is that my employer is not known
for being particularly interested in spending any amount of time dealing with
landscaping. I can't image that they would spend the time or money to purchase
flowers every year and plant them. They have a hard enough time keeping the
grass mowed and fairly fresh mulch down. So, I concluded that they would be
more apt to plant a bulb once and walk away without any intention of "helping"
it along.

By looking at the pictures, It does not look like it is Lily of the Valley,
but is somewhat similar. I didn't take measurements. Let me re-adjust my
estimate on the height from the ground to the very top at approx. 12-14
inches. (yeah, its a far cry from 2 feet. not great with evaluating these
kinds of things). The stem appears to be fairly thick, maybe 1/4 -1/2 " in
diameter( a bit wider than a thick asparagus)

The top 1/3 is covered with individual flowers, similar to the picture of the
LoTV. But the flowers are bigger. Each flower seems to have a small stem of
its own that comes off the main stem. I'd say its maybe 1/4 -1/2 inch in
length..longer the farther down the main stem you are and shorter as you reach
the top. The small stems grow upward and then the flower comes out of it.

The flowers are delicate looking, but are fairly sturdy when handling them.
They have a waxy feel to them. The base of the flower is in the shape of a
bell. Now, imagine a bell turned upside down. What was the top of the bell, is
now the base of the flower and is attached to a small stem. Instead of the
bell only slightly narrowing and then stopping, the round bell portion stays
the same but then as it narrows it also elongates and the "lip" of the bell
actually comes close to closing. But it doesn't The flowers have approx. five
"tips" (I can't think of a better word) that fold outward in a curl backward
underneath. (Imagine you have say, a cupcake liner and you cut the sides
halfway down, perpendicular to the base, then fold the edges outward allowing
for a curl in the folds. This is what the tips do) The center of the flower
has a slight yellow look to it.

The bloom is approx. 1/2" in height and when the "tips" are folded outward,
its maybe 1/4" a bit more in diameter, BUT this is the widest part of the
bloom. The bell portion of the base is no more than 1/8" in diameter.

The blooms are fairly evenly spaced along the main stem and since the width of
the flower is greater at its top then base, it often appears that there are
more blooms on the plant then there actually is. That extra width at the top
of the bloom adds to the appearance of a fairly densely group of blooms, but
its only an allusion.

In the picture, the blooms were too small and spaced too far apart. They also
lacked the roundness at the base of the "bell" that this plant has, but the
picture does show the elongation of the bloom but not the folding back of the
tips and their curling under.

Most of the blooms were white, though I did see a few on other plants that
were a brownish color....(not spoiled) but more of the color of butternut
squash.

If someone could provide a link to some good pictures, I might be able to find
the plant, but I've looked and can't find any that resemble this.

Please feel free to ask questions if I didn't make things clear. And we don't
have a horticulture dept. and calling landscaping would be pointless....they
have even less of an idea about plants than I do.

Darby

Old 07-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Darby Wiggins wrote:

[...]

It could be something in the squill (Scilla) genus, or perhaps Hyacinthoides
hispanica (Spanish bluebells, wood hyacinth), formerly part of that genus.....I
believe the designation was changed a while back. These normally bloom later
in spring, however, but it's worth a look at the photo link below, or do a
search for lots more photos and info. (These bulbs can produce white, pink,
or blue blooms, depending on variety.) See if this is close to what you're
seeing.

http://www.twofrog.com/scillacamp.html

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Darby Wiggins

Close...but no cigar....The flowers I am looking at, they don't fall downward like
in the link, they remain upstanding. Also, the flowers in the picture are too
narrow at their base. They need to be fuller and rounder....but the length is
correct and so are the "tips" that fold outward

I'll keep looking.

Darby

Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Cereoid+10+

Scilla, Hyacinthoides and Ornithogalum have six parted flowers not five
parted.

The more info we get, the less clear a picture we get of the plant.
Now we know the original info we got was completely wrong and this modified
version isn't much better. Are the flowers bell shaped or aren't they?

Darby should be the one to provide a picture of her plant not us.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Darby Wiggins

If you click on this link, the purple flowers on the left look like the one I am
talking about, but I can't be sure without seeing more.

http://www.mechellesflowersbymail.co...et_flowers.htm

Can anyone direct me to more info?
Darby

Old 07-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Darby Wiggins

First, I agree I should be the one to post a picture, but that is not an option,
hence the reason I am seeking advise.

Second, I'm not trying to be difficult, I just do not know a whole lot about
plants and proper terms to use ect. I'm slowly learning and do apologize for
not being more clear on the description, but I don't know how to describe them
better. If your interested in helping educate me, great. If not, Fine. If you
want a ****ing match, I'm not interested.

In my opinion, they are bell shaped but the are slightly elongated. They look an
awful lot like the link I posted recently. Unfortunately, It did not have the
name of the flower so I could not further research it.

I'm looking for sites on the web that show pictures of flowers along with their
names and I can't find any that seem to do the trick. I've tired using google
and typing in flower types, flower descriptions, flower species, ect.

Any suggestions on a comprehensive site that has pictures. I don't have a photo
or access to a scanner.

Darby

Old 07-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Darby Wiggins wrote:

If you click on this link, the purple flowers on the left look like the
one I am
talking about, but I can't be sure without seeing more.

http://www.mechellesflowersbymail.co...et_flowers.htm

Can anyone direct me to more info?
Darby

Darby,
It's kinda fuzzy but looks like the common garden hyacinth, which would be in
bloom right now in northern Virginia. Do a search for Hyacinthus orientalis or
Dutch hyacinth, or simply hyacinth.....you'll find many links with photos.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa