Old 04-04-2003, 09:56 PM
margaret

Default trees and bushes

Hi there, I'm looking for some good advice for a small piece of ground
I have at the very back of my back garden. The part is around 10ft
long and 5ft wide and would like to plant some nice shurbs/trees at
the back, but ones that have all year long colour, I particularyl like
Laburnium, although I know it is decidous and maybe a rhododendron for
all year leave colour. These are only a few things I have thought of.
At the front some good ongoing colour from a variety of flowers, I
particularly like wild flowers. At the moment I have some
lavender,lavatera and a buttelfy bush. Any suggestions for various
plants and shurbs would be appreciated, to give all year round
interest. I particularly like flowers that would be found in the wild
poppies, foxgloves etc.

thanks
Margaret
Old 05-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Pam

In addition to Sue's very pertinent comments, 10'x5' is not very much room for
"some shrubs and trees". Do you already have the lavatera, butterfly bush and
lavender planted in this area? If so, you are not going to have too much more
room for anything other than some flowering perennials.

pam - gardengal

SugarChile wrote:

Hi Margaret,

We need to know where you live and what the climate is like in order to give
good recommendations. Is the area in full sun, or is it shady? What is
your soil like (clay, sandy?) and do you get adequate rainfall, or are you
willing to supplement the water?

Sue

--

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

om...

Old 05-04-2003, 12:08 PM
margaret

SugarChile wrote:

Hi Margaret,

We need to know where you live and what the climate is like in order to give
good recommendations. Is the area in full sun, or is it shady? What is
your soil like (clay, sandy?) and do you get adequate rainfall, or are you
willing to supplement the water?

Sue

--

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"margaret" wrote in message
om...
Hi there, I'm looking for some good advice for a small piece of ground
I have at the very back of my back garden. The part is around 10ft
long and 5ft wide and would like to plant some nice shurbs/trees at
the back, but ones that have all year long colour, I particularyl like
Laburnium, although I know it is decidous and maybe a for rhododendron
all year leave colour. These are only a few things I have thought of.
At the front some good ongoing colour from a variety of flowers, I
particularly like wild flowers. At the moment I have some
lavender,lavatera and a buttelfy bush. Any suggestions for various
plants and shurbs would be appreciated, to give all year round
interest. I particularly like flowers that would be found in the wild
poppies, foxgloves etc.

thanks
Margaret

Hi there
I just went out and measured the area and its 12.5ft long and 7 ft
wide, so a bit bigger than I thought. I live in Scotland, so the
climate can be really cold in winter and is now starting to get warmer
with reaonally climbing temperatures from now to august int the region
of 19oC - 24oC. THere hasn't been much rain in March, really nice
actually, but sometimes there can be a lot for and can go on for days.
The area that I want to plant faces west, so gets the most sunshine
in the afternoon. The soil is quite moist and defiantely not sandy,
so maybe more clay, but not totally. I do have the butterfly bush and
lavatera, but they are just small, I only planted them last year. I'm
just learning about gardening, and find part of the problem is there
is so much to pick from. Basically I maybe want a coupld of evergreen
shrubs/bushes like rhododendron and something else and a tree like
Laburnium (I have always liked this tree), and so that something is
always flowereing from spring to winter.
So any good advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
margaret
Old 06-04-2003, 06:56 AM
JNJ

[...]

Well, Rhododendrons are out -- too much sun and wrong soil pH (Rhodies
typically like it a bit more acidic and it sounds like yours is more
neutral). I'd also wonder about the drainage in this area -- if there's a
great deal of rainfall and the area is primarily clay that would not bode
well. You also do not define what "really cold in winter" means -- for
example, do you spend much time below 0 degrees C or do you tend to stay
above 5 degrees C? 24 degree C is not terribly bad (about 75 degrees F to
us on the standard system) so if that's your idea of summer heat....

The size of the planting plot is fairly small, so you don't have too much
room with which to work. How much room do you have to plant this tree
and/or shrubs? (That is, how much space will the new plants occupy all to
themselves and without competing with existing plants.) Note that Butterfly
Bush can grow quite large quite quickly. Bear in mind also that most
evergreen varieties grow slowly and take a long time to get to the size you
likely want. The variety selected will also have to be able to handle the
afternoon sun and possibly some poor winter weather conditions.

Rhododendrons, as well as Azaleas, have nice floral sense, year round
foliage depending upon climate and heights vary from about a meter and up.
They also prefer more shade however, and well-drained, acidic soil and a
North or East facing. These do not match your description well.

Mountain Laurel is another option that hits as much as 2-3 meters in height,
does well in sun to light shade but again prefers acidic soil that is well
drained. These also tend to prefer North or East facing, but may do ok
otherwise depending on the microclime.

Some others on the newsgroup may have had better luck with these under
conditions similar to yours so I won't naysay too much.

James