Old 29-03-2006, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brian

Default What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening experience/s?

What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening nightmare
experience/s
you've had so far - not the ones that occur in sleep dreaming, but any
disastrous or incredibly lousy garden work, or project/s done on either
your own current or former
garden (or someone else's) by either yourself, or done by someone else.

Old 29-03-2006, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

well, I once planted what I thought was caroline lupine (thermopsis) and it
turned out to be a related-but-much-more invasive western version of the
same plant. By year two, it was sending out runners 10 feet away (under
sidewalks, for instance) by the dozens. It took about 2 garden seasons of
constant pulling to eradicate it. (On the other hand, it would be a great
plant for some wild meadowy garden on big acreage, but not in my
postage-stamp size garden)
ups.com...

Old 29-03-2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

My aunt was sharing some of her plants with me and when she showed me this
little creeping one that had tiny blue/purple flowers on it I said I wanted
it too. Well six years later I am still trying to get this weed out of my
flower beds and lawn.

--
Lynn

ups.com...

Old 29-03-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paying $350 for a bristle cone pine in memory of my mother and planting it in her
garden and despite TLC it died. Now there is a weeping something replacement and I
am told it too is browning out. Now everything else in that garden is flourishing
and the garden center has a great rep.
2nd worst is letting wild geranium hitchhike in on something. I am battling that for
2 years. Ingrid

"Brian" wrote:

What have been your worst or most disastrous gardening nightmare
experience/s
you've had so far - not the ones that occur in sleep dreaming, but any
disastrous or incredibly lousy garden work, or project/s done on either
your own current or former
garden (or someone else's) by either yourself, or done by someone else.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 29-03-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
speeracres

Planting mint by my garden beds, it grew better than anything else and
tried to take over.

Planting Lamb's Ears in the flower bed, because I thought it was
pretty. Until it tried to over-run everything else.

But the best one was my first rock wall around a tree. When I was done
and stepped back to look at it I laughed until I cried. It was the
funniest looking thing I've ever made. Then I had fun demolishing it
and started over. Third time was the charm!

Old 30-03-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Ajuga (SP) and hops. Both VERY invasive. I planted the hops ;((.
Otherwise planting too close to foundations or other plants even if my
father in-law warned me about how plants grow. Keeping house
foundation clear helps with termites here. They like secret hidden
access.

Bill

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500
Old 30-03-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Devonshire

On the day of Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:28:30 GMT...
"Lynn"
typed these letters:

My aunt was sharing some of her plants with me and when she showed me this
little creeping one that had tiny blue/purple flowers on it I said I wanted
it too. Well six years later I am still trying to get this weed out of my
flower beds and lawn.

--
Lynn

Sounds like periwinkle. If it is you aren't alone in your battles
against it

Devonshire
Old 30-03-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

No that's not it, but it is pretty.
--
Lynn

Old 30-03-2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

That's it!!!
frigging stuff! I weeded it from my front flower garden (where I orginally
planted it) and just tossed it on the ground. then it grew there and spread
like wild fire. it wraps around other plants and is the most miserable
stuff. I don't mind it too much in the grass but in the flower beds I cuss
it daily.

--
Lynn

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...

That must be creeping charlie. My officemate had it so bad he used
gasoline and torched his entire yard, replaced a few inches of dirt, and
replanted grass. The creeping charlie returned. To honor this plant, I
have one container set aside for creeping charlie. It can't do any
damage in a container garden and it turned out to be a rather nice
looking dangly vine. It also requires no care and comes back every
year.