Old 31-03-2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
vivian

Default Ground cherries

Anybody grow them? Anybody dry them out like raisins? Make jam or
preserves from them? Dip them in chocolate? Have any horticultural
tips for maximizing yield?

viv
Old 01-04-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

vivian wrote:
Anybody grow them? Anybody dry them out like raisins? Make jam or
preserves from them? Dip them in chocolate? Have any horticultural
tips for maximizing yield?

viv

I haven't tried this recipe. I never got enough fruit at one time to
make it; until maybe at the end of the season when we'd lost interest in
the ground cherries because no one liked them all that much.

Cape Gooseberry Jam

Cape gooseberries are the little round pale yellow-green fruits that
have a little dried paper lantern around them when they are ripe.
Don't use this recipe for regular gooseberries as the sugar proportions
are different.

6 lb husked cape gooseberries
4 1/2 lb sugar
1 US pint water

Prick the gooseberries with a large needle and layer in a large pot with
the sugar. Pour the water over the top. Boil gently until it reaches
setting point. Jar as you will.

--
Best regards,
Bob
Old 02-04-2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

we are trying them year for the very first time. I have a recipe for pie
that came with the seeds. try googling cape gooseberries
--
Lynn