Old 16-04-2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need advice on buying first riding lawn mower

I have about 2 acres to mow. I live in a small town and the only
mowers I have access to are those at a local Sears outlet and I can
drive 30 miles to a Lowes. I just want the best buy for the money.
If I could keep the cost close to $1000-1200, that would be great. Of
the mowers in that price range, what would you recommend. THanks
Old 17-04-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
BE

wrote in message
I have about 2 acres to mow. I live in a small town and the only
mowers I have access to are those at a local Sears outlet and I can
drive 30 miles to a Lowes. I just want the best buy for the money.
If I could keep the cost close to $1000-1200, that would be great. Of
the mowers in that price range, what would you recommend. THanks

A very good site with lots of good people:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/tractor/

Old 17-04-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy replies:

I have had two Murrays. The work OK, and I am able to
make repairs to them as needed. Each lasted me about
15 years.
I presently have a Sears Craftsman which cost $900.
It is made better than the Murray, but will also be harder
if I have to repair it....
My neighbor has a John Deer, which cost about $2000.
It is like driving a Cadillac compared to the Murray or even
the Craftsman, and is well constructed. However, it mows
the grass just the same as the Murray, and requires
essentially the same maintenance. I expect repairs and
parts will be very costly for him.....

If you can maintain it yourself, there's no sense buying
an expensive model, as it will work about the same.
if your land has a lot of ruts and hills, and sticks, and
all manner of stuff that is hard to mow, it will be very hard
on the blade assembly housing. If you are mowing a golf
course, I wouldn't spend the extra money.....

Those are just my opinions. I am a frugalista, and don't
see any point in paying a lot of extra money for a name
recognition brand, if my needs are such that something like
a Murray will do the job just as well...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

[IMG] code is On

First lawn, first post. In need of advice.... TeaBag Lawns 21 07-06-2013 08:35 AM
Riding Lawn Mower Advice me Lawns 27 22-08-2006 12:02 AM
Riding lawn mower and lawn roller Eric Gardening 1 02-05-2005 08:06 PM
Buying a Craftmans riding mower?? Ryan Lawns 11 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Buying a Craftmans riding mower?? Tim Fischer Lawns 0 08-02-2003 09:03 PM