Old 17-04-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese Knotweed

I've been going after some japanese knotweed for about 2 years, with
little success. Just now I'm looking at whole crop of little red
leaves popping up from the ground. I've read that hitting them with
extra strength Roundup while they are flowering can be effective. Are
these little leaves "flowers", or do I wait until they are fully grown,
with actual flowers on them?

Thanks.
JP

Old 18-04-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Never let the knotweed get any top growth or all you will ever do is
annoy it.

Old 19-04-2006, 10:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Siobhan Burke

In article 1145306781.039121.155760
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com, says...

I've been going after some japanese knotweed for about 2 years, with
little success. Just now I'm looking at whole crop of little red
leaves popping up from the ground. I've read that hitting them with
extra strength Roundup while they are flowering can be effective. Are
these little leaves "flowers", or do I wait until they are fully grown,
with actual flowers on them?

Thanks.
JP

Oh, I've just got to de-lurk on this one, having just managed to
get rid of some of this noisome stuff.

Never, ever, EVER let it grow. I used "Brush-B-Gone", the
refill kind that you dilute yourself. Dilute it to half-
strength, wear gloves, and spray the new shoots as soon as they
show leaves. Do this on a still day, and be very careful not to
get it on anything else, including you. It took five years of
this treatment before my yard was Japanese knotweed-free, but
last year I didn't get any shoots at all.

And let me say, I don't use poisons or other chemicals in my
garden at all, as a rule, but this was war! I'd tried just
pulling up the shoots and as much of the roots as I could, on
the theory that it would eventually wear itself out, but I was
wearing out, and it wasn't even winded.

--
Siobhan - Gardening in coastal Maine, Zone 5

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the
precipitate.
Old 22-04-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:46:25 GMT, Siobhan Burke
wrote:

In article 1145306781.039121.155760
, says...

[...]

Yeah, I thought I had the upper hand, but mine is coming back ready to
take over again. So I have to battle for another year or so. On the
other hand there are less sprouts each year so I must be
winning........I think..

Swyck

[IMG] code is On

japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese bamboo knotweed Tim923 Plant Science 9 24-07-2004 10:50 AM
Japanese knotweed pics Tim923 Gardening 5 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM