Old 06-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Tim923

Default Japanese bamboo knotweed

This weed grows like crazy in upstate NY in Binghamton. Just how
widespread is this weed?

In our area, we call it Japanese Bamboo, our more commonly just
bamboo. It's so hard to get rid of it. It grows right back after
pulling or flattening. Did this plant overpopulate in Japan?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Tim923

I took some neat pics of this weed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/weed1.jpg
A big piece of property wasted to knotweed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/weed2.jpg
This neighbor put up a fence.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/weed3.jpg
Even after a mow, this pesky stuff grows back.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Robespierre II

"Tim923" wrote in message

This weed grows like crazy in upstate NY in Binghamton. Just how
widespread is this weed?

In our area, we call it Japanese Bamboo, our more commonly just
bamboo. It's so hard to get rid of it. It grows right back after
pulling or flattening. Did this plant overpopulate in Japan?

Why do you call it bamboo?
From your pictures I don't think it looks like bamboo at all.
Some dwarf bamboo varieties are invasive but they do not look remotely like
your stuff.
Do you know the scientific name thereof?

Old 11-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Leo Michels

"Robespierre II" somebody@somewhere meinte:

"Tim923" wrote in message

In our area, we call it Japanese Bamboo, our more commonly just
bamboo. It's so hard to get rid of it. It grows right back after
pulling or flattening. Did this plant overpopulate in Japan?

Do you know the scientific name thereof?

Fallopia japonica or Reynoutria japonica

A very fast spreading weed in central Europe too.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Mike Griggs

Actually it is a very good honey bee plant the honey most closely taste
like buckwheat honey which is more difficult to come by in recent years.

The nomenclature of the name is in question though you are correct in
leaning toward Fallopia japonica here in the US it is very commonly
called Polygonum cuspidatum when not referred to by colloquial names
such as Bamboo, false bamboo, or Japanese Knotweed

Its been in upstate NY for many years as I remember stumbling on a patch
in the late 60's

Mike

Old 13-07-2004, 01:17 AM
David Hershey

The USDA Plants Database lists it as occurring in all but 9 of the
continental states. It uses the name Polygonum cuspidatum.

http://plants.usda.gov/

Old 13-07-2004, 03:39 AM
Antonio Van Diemen

"Antonio Van Diemen" someone@anywhere wrote

Here in the Middle Hudson Valley, NY, it's the Chinese Bitter (a vine),

Oops actually I meant Oriental Bittersweet = Celastrus Orbiculata.

Nothing sweet about it AFAIC.

Old 13-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Leo Michels

(David Hershey) meinte:

The USDA Plants Database lists it as occurring in all but 9 of the
continental states. It uses the name Polygonum cuspidatum.

http://plants.usda.gov/

Here's the list of synonyms from this site:

Polygonum cuspidatum Sieb. & Zucc.
Fallopia japonica (Houtt.) Dcne.
Pleuropterus cuspidatus (Sieb. & Zucc.) Moldenke
Pleuropterus zuccarinii (Small) Small
Polygonum cuspidatum Sieb. & Zucc. var. compactum (Hook f.) Bailey
Polygonum zuccarinii Small
Reynoutria japonica Houtt.

Simple and clear thing, a scientific name, isn't it?

Old 13-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Mike Griggs

The history of this plants nomenclature is very interesting. During the
years of discovery when it was far more difficult to distribute
findings, information and meet to assign new names, multiple names were
assigned. The return to historic records, genetic tests can show a very
different picture of who was first or which assigned name is in standing
with the conventions of the time.

It does appear that Fallopia japonica is being proposed as the "new"
right name which should emerge should group consensus agree.

Scientific names change! Its a fact of science!

Mike

Old 24-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Mike Lyle

Tim923 wrote in message . ..
This weed grows like crazy in upstate NY in Binghamton. Just how
widespread is this weed?

In our area, we call it Japanese Bamboo, our more commonly just
bamboo. It's so hard to get rid of it. It grows right back after
pulling or flattening. Did this plant overpopulate in Japan?

There seems to be a specialized biological control in its home country
(I think they may have identified a rust fungus) quite lacking in UK
and other infested areas. It's always called 'Japanese knotweed' in UK
vernacular; Collins Field Guide gives only 'Reynoutria japonica' as a
scientific name.

Mike.

How do I kill field bindweed and Japanese knotweed? Raymond United Kingdom 5 03-11-2004 12:55 PM
japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese knotweed pics Tim923 Gardening 5 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM