Old 27-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Yo! math wiz help, please!

Somewhere in the back of my foggy ol' brain, I seem to remember that "ppm"
was the same as "mg/l". Yes? No? I need to convert the doseage for dry
ChlorAm-X into something I understand a little better . . .

Lee

--
Lee B.
See my Zone 9 a/b ponds at:

Old 27-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Matt Rosing

Well, sort of. ppm stands for parts per million. There are a million
milligrams of water in 1 liter (=1000 grams at standard blah blah blah).
But going from dry units to liquid isn't the same. I did a search on
cloram-x and found something that said 5 lbs treats 18,794 gallons (or
about 1/4 lb / 1000 gallons). Maybe that helps?

Old 28-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

OK, I'm math impaired, so don't confuse me . . . I think it goes something
like this: you use X grams (or ounces) for each mg/liter of ammonia. My
test kits read ppm, not mg/liter. So, if my incoming water has 1 ppm
ammonia in it (chloramines in the water supply), do I treat the ppm as
mg/liter and add the ChlorAm-X accordingly?

FYG, the patent on AmQuel has expired, so the "recipe" is open . . .
ChlorAm-X is Amquel's formula, but about half the cost. Unfortunately, their
doseage info needs some work . . . it's a good thing you can't overdose the
stuff!

Lee

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 28 May 2003 08:11:14 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

OK, I'm math impaired, so don't confuse me . . . I think it goes something
like this: you use X grams (or ounces) for each mg/liter of ammonia. My
test kits read ppm, not mg/liter. So, if my incoming water has 1 ppm
ammonia in it (chloramines in the water supply), do I treat the ppm as
mg/liter and add the ChlorAm-X accordingly?

FYG, the patent on AmQuel has expired, so the "recipe" is open . . .
ChlorAm-X is Amquel's formula, but about half the cost. Unfortunately, their
doseage info needs some work . . . it's a good thing you can't overdose the
stuff!

Lee, you are in luck, having some minor water quality issues I had to check
with my fellow KHA on dosing w/AmQuel. 1 Tablespoon treats 125 gallons for
1ppm ammonia.

Thanks for the info on the patent expiration, will really help all of us to
have this product on hand in case of emergencies and pH crashes.

Where did you purchase it from? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Jan: I purchased the ChlorAm-X from AES, but if you do a search, I know
there are several other places that are selling it, too.

The info on doseage is not "quite" what I was looking for: the instructions
on the ChlorAm-X use mg/l, but my test kit uses ppm. I "think" that ppm
equates to mg/l . . . that's what I need to know. The amount to use I can
deal with, I just need to verify that ppm=mg/l. Of course, with this stuff,
you really can't overdose, but I don't want to "under"dose either!

Lee

Old 29-05-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Matt Rosing" wrote in message
Metric really is nice: 1 liter of water weighs 1 kg and measures 10cm on
a side.

snip

Amen. If I could change one thing in the US...it would be our system of
measurement.

BV.

Old 31-05-2003, 04:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Lee, Hope this helps, I asked DH the chemist and this is the answer I got:

My question to him (via our intra-net) does ppm = mg/l?

His Answer: A liter is 1000mL and there is 1000 milligrams in a gram. 1000
x 1000 = 1000000 or a million, so part per million. That is how I remember.

Like a simple yes would not have sufficed here!? I guess I should mention
to him that he didn't need to send me a "memory aid" that's what I keep him
around for, to answer these types of questions...... and move the heavy
stuff. ;o) ~ jan

On 29 May 2003 06:57:08 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

Jan: I purchased the ChlorAm-X from AES, but if you do a search, I know
there are several other places that are selling it, too.

The info on doseage is not "quite" what I was looking for: the instructions
on the ChlorAm-X use mg/l, but my test kit uses ppm. I "think" that ppm
equates to mg/l . . . that's what I need to know. The amount to use I can
deal with, I just need to verify that ppm=mg/l. Of course, with this stuff,
you really can't overdose, but I don't want to "under"dose either!

Lee

.. .

Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Lee Brouillet

Thanks Jan! I thought that's what it was, but I needed to make sure. It gets
confusing when your tests are in "ppm", but the "cure" is in mg/l . . . it
would have been so much simpler if they had just put in in parenthesis or
something! Thank your hubby for me!

Old 22-09-2005, 03:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 30 May 2003 23:46:20 GMT, Go Fig wrote:

In article ,
Go Fig wrote:

In article ,
"Lee Brouillet" wrote:

I checked Clear Pond's site; they have a product called Chloramine Buster .
. . is that what you're talking about? I'm not familiar with their
product(s), so I'll have to check into it further.

Opps... Its the other one I guess... Pond Clear?,

Yikes, there are just too many "clear" in ponding. The correct name is
Crystal Clear® Dechlorinator - Dry, It's made by 'Crystal Clear", the
Winston Co.

I found this page on google.

http://www.backyard-lifestyle.com/de...?c=1&i=WN11200

jay
Fri, May 30, 2003

I'll get the product #
in the am. Does not deal with ammonia, its just that it is small and I
keep them as back-up in the trucks.

jay
Thu, May 29, 2003

I've always used AmQuel and trust it implicitly . . . it's pulled my bacon
outta the fire more than once. I know that ChlorAm-X is the SAME formula,
complete with buffers. I know that it's been tested to 50 X the suggested
doseage rate (and more) with no problem to the fish. There are a lot of
products that will break the chlorine/ammonia bond immediately (like for a
water change), but AmQuel has a residual effect that continues to work, so
if you have a fish overload or your filter is having a problem, this product
continues to protect the fish from ammonia issues.

If the Clear Pond product has the buffers, it's worth a look into! But the
buffers are worth the extra $$ if/when you have a problem (like a utililty
that thinks they need to add 6 times MORE than they say they do!) Right now,
I have water issues AFTER I do a water change, not before!

Lee

"Go Fig" wrote in message

Clear Pond? also sells the dry stuff... it treats 45,000 gal and retails
for about $9.99, I think.

Today I drained and filled a 7K pond with a frick'n 10 x 8 UG, what a
pain... hope all 40 fish are doing well in the am... and the weeks to
come, cause I fried that UG with muni water ;-)

jay
Wed, May 28, 2003

ChlorAm-X Where can I buy this? (was: Yo! math wiz help, please!) Nedra Ponds 14 22-09-2005 03:32 PM
Need help with drip system - calculations (math time) :) Ted Gardening 1 19-07-2005 09:17 PM
Mick and his fuzzy math :) Elpaninaro Orchids 0 24-09-2004 11:57 PM
Garden Math Anonymous Edible Gardening 1 18-04-2004 07:13 PM
Killex (weed killer) math Q drifter Gardening 1 22-05-2003 05:56 PM