Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
higgledy

Default Dug up my tulips....

I am just moving them to a new place in my yard. I cut off the yellowed
leaves. Do I pull the thick brown layer from the bulbs? Do I seperate
the bulb clusters?

Thanks,
Phil

Old 04-05-2006, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am just moving them to a new place in my yard. I cut off the yellowed
leaves. Do I pull the thick brown layer from the bulbs? Do I seperate
the bulb clusters?

Thanks,
Phil

Just plant them. Don't peel or separate anything. They know what they're
doing.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Removing the brown layer doesn't matter. If the bulbs are small and in
clusters you will get clusters of small plants next year, with small
flowers. Standard advice is to separate the clusters and plant each bulb by
itself with lots of growing room so that it can grow and the flowers will be
a good size. The bulbs will not grow any more this summer, so whatever size
they are now will determine the size of flower you will get next year, but
giving them growing room will let them grow for the year after, if you are
in a climate where tulips survive (not too warm). Keep the bulbs dry and
out of the ground until normal tulip planting time in your area then plant
them. Plant only the large ones if you want only large flowers next year.

ups.com...

Old 06-05-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

On 2006-05-03 21:41:32 -0400, "higgledy" said:

I am just moving them to a new place in my yard. I cut off the yellowed
leaves. Do I pull the thick brown layer from the bulbs? Do I seperate
the bulb clusters?

Thanks,
Phil

Are they perennial tulips? If not don't bother, chuck them out and
plant new ones come fall. They don't do well the 2nd year I find.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article 200605061554158930%Sorry@spamsucksnet,

On 2006-05-03 21:41:32 -0400, "higgledy" said:

I am just moving them to a new place in my yard. I cut off the yellowed
leaves. Do I pull the thick brown layer from the bulbs? Do I seperate
the bulb clusters?

Thanks,
Phil

Are they perennial tulips? If not don't bother, chuck them out and
plant new ones come fall. They don't do well the 2nd year I find.

I treat them like annuals. Seems the warm summer weather is not a
good thing for tulips.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 07-05-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

On 2006-05-03 21:41:32 -0400, "higgledy" said:

I am just moving them to a new place in my yard. I cut off the yellowed
leaves. Do I pull the thick brown layer from the bulbs? Do I seperate
the bulb clusters?

Thanks,
Phil

Are they perennial tulips? If not don't bother, chuck them out and plant
new ones come fall. They don't do well the 2nd year I find.

ALL tulips are perennial. If your tulips don't do well in their second
year it is because you are not feeding the bulbs correctly in their
first year.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969