Old 10-05-2006, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Default Hydrangea needs help

We recently discovered a plant in need of care.
One Hydrangea has dead stalks, but towards the soil we notice new
green growth of small leaves.

Shall I proon this back or take a shovel and replace it with another.
Thanks.
Bette

Old 10-05-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On 9 May 2006 17:13:04 -0700, "Bette" wrote:

We recently discovered a plant in need of care.
One Hydrangea has dead stalks, but towards the soil we notice new
green growth of small leaves.

Shall I proon this back or take a shovel and replace it with another.
Thanks.
Bette

Mine does that too. There are various kinds of hydrangeas. I'm in
TN. In late fall I put a ring of chicken wire around the hydrangea
then fill it up with leaves. After the last frost I remove the
leaves. The plant looks dead but soon new leaves emerge, then it
flowers.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Phisherman wrote:
On 9 May 2006 17:13:04 -0700, "Bette" wrote:

We recently discovered a plant in need of care.
One Hydrangea has dead stalks, but towards the soil we notice new
green growth of small leaves.

Shall I proon this back or take a shovel and replace it with another.
Thanks.
Bette

Mine does that too. There are various kinds of hydrangeas. I'm in
TN. In late fall I put a ring of chicken wire around the hydrangea
then fill it up with leaves. After the last frost I remove the
leaves. The plant looks dead but soon new leaves emerge, then it
flowers.

In that I don't know that much about this plant, I truly do not know.
Living in Pa, I shall follow your directions, and watch it bloom.
Thanks.
Bette

Old 10-05-2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jean

Bette wrote:

In that I don't know that much about this plant, I truly do not know.
Living in Pa, I shall follow your directions, and watch it bloom.
Thanks.
Bette

I'm in Zone 5 Ohio, where my hydrangea's are just starting to leaf out
also. It's probably right on time. The only thing I worry about is a
late frost nipping the buds. It's happenend the last two years now.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

Jean wrote:
Bette wrote:

In that I don't know that much about this plant, I truly do not know.
Living in Pa, I shall follow your directions, and watch it bloom.
Thanks.
Bette

I'm in Zone 5 Ohio, where my hydrangea's are just starting to leaf out
also. It's probably right on time. The only thing I worry about is a
late frost nipping the buds. It's happenend the last two years now.

Thanks Jean. We had close to a frost last night as well. Yet this
afternoon it reached 80.
My mom had hydrangea bushes in her yard years ago. She had a green
thumb.
Bette

Old 11-05-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

"Bette" wrote in
oups.com:

My mom had hydrangea bushes in her yard years ago. She had
a green thumb.

it's pretty hard to kill one of those old fashioned
hydrangeas. we had an ancient row of them along the driveway &
i tore them out because they were overgrown, & in the way. i
tossed some of the cut branches into the swampy area in the
front & darned if i don't have hydrangeas blooming in there 2
years later

lee found some pink roses in there too
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
Old 11-05-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bette

enigma wrote:
"Bette" wrote in
oups.com:

it's pretty hard to kill one of those old fashioned
hydrangeas. we had an ancient row of them along the driveway &
i tore them out because they were overgrown, & in the way. i
tossed some of the cut branches into the swampy area in the
front & darned if i don't have hydrangeas blooming in there 2
years later

That is encouraging because I have a black thumb. : )
When I look at house plants they cry. Probably because I give them too
much water.
My friend back in Jersey, is the plant lady on our street.
When anyone has a problem with a plant or gardening, everyone calls
Dottie.

Thanks for our info
Bette