Old 11-05-2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
axemanchris

Default Four O'Clock seeds

I would like to plant some of these and according to the package it's about
the right time to do so. Do these seeds need to be nicked or soaked before
planting? The vague directions on the package don't say anything about this,
but I had some years ago and seem to recall that Four O'Clocks require some
intervention on my part to help them sprout.

TIA

Jacqui

Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

Four O'Clock are typically grown from large seeds, making them easy to
plant. They germinate quickly, and grow fast, up to 2-4 feet.
Sow seeds directly into the garden just before the last frost in your
area. Cover seeds with 1/4" of soil. Space plants 12 inches apart and
thin to two feet apart.
In addition, Four O'Clocks are propagated by it's tubers. Tubers should
be dug up in the fall and stored in the dark, in damp peat moss or
sand.
Four O'Clocks prefer full sun, but will tolerate partial shade. Note
that in partial shade they may grow lanky. They will do well in rich,
well composted soil as they are big eaters. Keep soil moist. Add a
general purpose fertilizer once or twice a month to encourage vigorous
growth.
Good Luck!!

Old 11-05-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I think you will be OK to just lay them on the ground and rake over them
lightly. My 4 O'clocks dropped the seeds each fall and they came up
volunteer the following spring. If you could duplicate that action, I
believe you will have a nice bed of them.

Dwayne

.. .

Old 11-05-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Dwayne wrote:

I think you will be OK to just lay them on the ground and rake over them
lightly. My 4 O'clocks dropped the seeds each fall and they came up
volunteer the following spring. If you could duplicate that action, I
believe you will have a nice bed of them.

Dwayne

The problem with Four O'clocks (and morning glories) is that once you
(or your neighbors) have them they are hard to get rid of. I have not
grown them ever but every year I am constantly pulling them out because
my neighbor has them and the birds spread the seeds all over the place.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 11-05-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

I've never had to soak them, I just put'm in the ground, watered and watched
grow and grow and grow and grow 4 O'Clocks forever!

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

Old 18-05-2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Plant Info

Like a lot of the hard-coated seeds (morning glories are another that comes
to mind), it does help to soak them overnight or nick them the slightest bit
before planting so the water gets inside the seed and starts germination
asap.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wis

"axemanchris" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to plant some of these and according to the package it's about
the right time to do so. Do these seeds need to be nicked or soaked
before
planting? The vague directions on the package don't say anything about
this,
but I had some years ago and seem to recall that Four O'Clocks require
some
intervention on my part to help them sprout.

TIA

Jacqui

[IMG] code is On

Yellowing of four o'clock plants Zootal[_5_] Gardening 0 12-07-2011 05:42 AM
four-o'clock crossing and breeding Zoot Gardening 0 16-10-2008 02:14 AM
Garden Clock question told2b Gardening 4 18-07-2006 06:48 AM
four o'clock Susan Gillispie North Carolina 4 06-08-2004 10:30 PM
Clock gardens JD Gardening 1 14-05-2004 10:02 PM