Old 13-05-2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
BE

Default Hydrangea?

Just wondering how fast Hydrangea grow?

My son bought my wife a potted one foe mothers' day. It has 4 stalks and 4
large pom-poms in bloom. I have a rather large one already outside that's
4-5 ft. tall, 6 ft. across with dozens and dozens of stalks.

How soon, (years?) will it take to get as big as the large one outside?

Just want to plant it in a proper location.

Thanks...

Old 13-05-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:49:05 -0400, "BE" wrote:

Just wondering how fast Hydrangea grow?

My son bought my wife a potted one foe mothers' day. It has 4 stalks and 4
large pom-poms in bloom. I have a rather large one already outside that's
4-5 ft. tall, 6 ft. across with dozens and dozens of stalks.

How soon, (years?) will it take to get as big as the large one outside?

Just want to plant it in a proper location.

Thanks...

Growth has so many factors: water, soil conditions, light, etc. To
reach 6 feet across, I'd guess 3-5 years with good-growing conditions.
Old 13-05-2006, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
BE

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Thanks, that's faster than I would have thought. I forgot to mention that
the potted plant is 1.5 ft. tall. Can I reduce the size of the large
Hydrangea by just taking a hedge trimmer to it? Is there a particular time
of year that's best for trimming?

Thanks again...

Old 13-05-2006, 08:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"BE" wrote in message

Just wondering how fast Hydrangea grow?

My son bought my wife a potted one foe mothers' day. It has 4
stalks and 4 large pom-poms in bloom. I have a rather large
one
already outside that's 4-5 ft. tall, 6 ft. across with dozens
and
dozens of stalks.
How soon, (years?) will it take to get as big as the large one
outside?
Just want to plant it in a proper location.

Thanks...

If he bought it from a florist it will most likely not do well
outdoors.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 13-05-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sat, 13 May 2006 07:39:22 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

"BE" wrote in message

Just wondering how fast Hydrangea grow?

My son bought my wife a potted one foe mothers' day. It has 4
stalks and 4 large pom-poms in bloom. I have a rather large
one
already outside that's 4-5 ft. tall, 6 ft. across with dozens
and
dozens of stalks.
How soon, (years?) will it take to get as big as the large one
outside?
Just want to plant it in a proper location.

Thanks...

If he bought it from a florist it will most likely not do well
outdoors.

Mine came from a florist and is doing exceptionally well after 6
years. It is a tropical type so I need to protect it during the
(mild) winter season (in TN).

Old 13-05-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Fri, 12 May 2006 20:26:56 -0400, "BE" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks, that's faster than I would have thought. I forgot to mention that
the potted plant is 1.5 ft. tall. Can I reduce the size of the large
Hydrangea by just taking a hedge trimmer to it? Is there a particular time
of year that's best for trimming?

Thanks again...

Best time to trim is after it blooms. Use pruning shears. If you
trim at other times you may cut off the next-year blooms!

[IMG] code is On

Hydrangea mop head blue Rich United Kingdom 4 07-11-2003 01:23 AM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
Climbing Hydrangea Brs36 Gardening 5 08-04-2003 11:20 PM
Hydrangea - No Flowers Alan Terry United Kingdom 8 22-10-2002 05:45 PM