Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-05-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fragrant rhododendron, Zone 5

My neighbor has a 12-foot evergreen rhododendron which perfumes her
entire 2-acre property. It has light pink large flowers with yellowish
throats. A single spray has scented my entire house. The fragrance
is heavy and rich, like honeysuckle. Some people would find it too
strong, but I just love it. We are in NY state, Zone 5. She has had
this shrub for at least 25 years so it definitely can take cold and
heat. The leaves are glossy and rather a light green. I took a
picture of the blooms but it is (A) a very large image that you
should not attempt to view if you're on slow dial-up and (B) a little
washed-out due to the flash on my digital camera. I would gladly order
one of these plants if I could identify it, and wait a couple of years
till it blooms. If you are willing to take a look, here is the link:
http://www.mahopachills.org/chris/FragrantRhodie1.jpg

Thanks for any leads.

Chris