Old 27-05-2006, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
catcher

Default WEEDS! There has to be something better than Roundup, right?

Our flower beds and slate patio have tree-like weeds and are utterly
gross. We're looking for something that we can put down to kill the
weeds for longer than four weeks, and hopefully prevent them from
returning.

We've been using Roundup for years. It does kill the weeds, but they
come back quickly.

Please, someone suggest something better than Roundup.

We're in the Rochester, NY area in the US.
Old 27-05-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

catcher wrote:

Our flower beds and slate patio have tree-like weeds and are utterly
gross. We're looking for something that we can put down to kill the
weeds for longer than four weeks, and hopefully prevent them from
returning.
We've been using Roundup for years. It does kill the weeds, but they
come back quickly.

When you spray roundup on the green tissue of plants that are mature, it
travels to the roots and kills them. It leaves no residual chemicals
and has no residual action. It doesn't kill anything besides what you
spray.

You need to learn the merits of mulch. It is a material that you place
on top of the ground to hold in moisture and prevent weeds from growing.
When weeds do grow, they are very easy to pull out because the soil is
moist. Mulch benefits the good plants and prevents the bad plants from
growing.

Cornell University has a good article on mulches for landscaping:

http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/fac...mulchland.html

I recommend spraying with roundup before mulching. Ignore the fact that
it takes a couple weeks for roundup to kill the weeds and mulch within a
couple days after spraying with roundup.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 27-05-2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sat, 27 May 2006 14:47:57 GMT, catcher wrote:

Our flower beds and slate patio have tree-like weeds and are utterly
gross. We're looking for something that we can put down to kill the
weeds for longer than four weeks, and hopefully prevent them from
returning.

We've been using Roundup for years. It does kill the weeds, but they
come back quickly.

Please, someone suggest something better than Roundup.

We're in the Rochester, NY area in the US.

Pull the weeds up by hand following a good soaking rain. Add the
debris to your compost. You can use landscaping fabric to help
prevent new weeds.
Old 27-05-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"catcher" wrote in message
Our flower beds and slate patio have tree-like weeds and are utterly
gross. We're looking for something that we can put down to kill the
weeds for longer than four weeks, and hopefully prevent them from
returning.

We've been using Roundup for years. It does kill the weeds, but they
come back quickly.

Please, someone suggest something better than Roundup.

We're in the Rochester, NY area in the US.

Try Spectracide TripleStrike grass and weed killer. It works quickly.
First I use TS, then I apply salt between the stones on my patio and walk to
kill any seeds that may sprout and try to grow. If you don't want to us
salt then use a pre-emergent weed killer. This will keep any weed seeds from
sprouting.

Old 28-05-2006, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
catcher wrote:

[...]

indeed. Glyphosate poisons will kill weeds totally so you are getting newly
seeded weeds coming through. Even using a weed killer it will be an on going
job. Using mulches will dramatically reduce what come through. It will cut
down on your use of sprays nd make it easier to weed when you want to.
Around your patio standard boiled water will do the trick. You will have to
continue to kill the weeds whether you use poisons or hot water as you can't
mulch.

rob

Old 29-05-2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

catcher wrote in
:

Our flower beds and slate patio have tree-like weeds and
are utterly gross. We're looking for something that we can
put down to kill the weeds for longer than four weeks, and
hopefully prevent them from returning.

We've been using Roundup for years. It does kill the
weeds, but they come back quickly.

Please, someone suggest something better than Roundup.

We're in the Rochester, NY area in the US.

flamethrower?
salt?
seriously, i have a flamer attachment (red dragon, i think)
that runs on propane & it works great for weed removal on
walkways & driveways. it's also good for starting a brushpile
burn in the rain
salt has a contamination issue attached, but 20% vinegar
(from a farm store) will do a number on weeds too.
if your weeds are coming back quickly, you either aren't
getting the seeds, or seeds are coming in from somewhere.
you have to kill/pull the weeds *before* they go to seed.
since you mention 'tree-like', is it possible they are coming
up from a neighbor's tree's roots? do they look like any
particular type of tree?
lee
--
"Fascism would be better described as corporatism,
since it is marriage between the state and business"
Old 29-05-2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

roundup for the current weeds
pre-emergent for the seeds. and remember, every time you disturb the soil you are
stimulating seeds to germinate. so cut the weeds off with a hoe and DO NOT pull them
and turn over the soil exposing more weed seeds to germinate.
for mulching, use marsh hay where the seeds dont do well in dryer ground, so dont
have the weed problem but you will have excellent soil in a couple years.
Ingrid

catcher wrote:

Our flower beds and slate patio have tree-like weeds and are utterly
gross. We're looking for something that we can put down to kill the
weeds for longer than four weeks, and hopefully prevent them from
returning.

We've been using Roundup for years. It does kill the weeds, but they
come back quickly.

Please, someone suggest something better than Roundup.

We're in the Rochester, NY area in the US.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 29-05-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sodbuster7!

A correct answer to your question(as some has implied), Use Roundup
to kill the existing weeds. Then use "Preen"- -Sold at Walmart Garden
Center as well as many other garden centers like Lowes. The active
ingredient in Preen is Treflan, a pre-emergent herbicide used widely
by commercial farmers. This is the third year I have used it with
complete success. It stops seeds from sprouting, and last from 3 to
6 months, depending on what type soil you have.

Have a good one- -SodB!