Old 03-06-2006, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default sad news

Heronswood closing and moving to Pennsylvania.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...y=her onswood

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

I, from first hand personal experience, think the only sad part about
Heronswood is that is was never a customer friendly nursery in the first
place. The mail order plants were small, sad, pathetic and expensive. I got
stiffed three out of three orders so I could see no reason to chance even
bother ordering again. IF you ever got in, the few times I went was "by
appointment only, my friends and I, after a 3 hour drive, were treated as if
they did us a big damned favor to even be around and questions were answered
with a "how could you be so stupid" attitude. We called ahead to see if the
plants we wanted were available, were assured they were, but upon arrival
only 2 of the many we asked about were for sale. People skills they don't
have. Their customer service on the phone was rude at best if there was a
problem with orders.The place is an awesomely beautiful garden that would be
difficult to rival, it has plants that are breath taking but as far as I'm
concerned, as a business, it was merely a great way for the Heronswood
owners to get their traveling to exotic places financed by tax write offs. I
can understand why Martha Stewart made this one of her favorite places since
their pretension and condescension was so very complimentary to each other.

I hope now that they got their bucks from Burpee their next financial coup
will be with somebody who wants to open a beautiful public garden. I heard
the Heronswood duo on the radio/TV (can't remember, it's been awhile, some
garden spot I was listening to while puttering around the house) and they
said they HOPED it would not be sold to developers and destroyed. I guess
the next step for Heronswood Nursery fans is to sit back and see who the
highest bidder will be; a devoted horticulture connoisseur with deep pockets
or a guy with a bulldozer and plans for another housing development and
strip mall.

Val (just south of Travis)

Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Travis M." wrote in message
Heronswood closing and moving to Pennsylvania.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...y=her onswood

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. I received what I ordered
from them and the plants are still in my yard and alive today.
The plants were intentionally small to keep shipping cost down.
The one time we went there we knew it was going to be open to the
public and I have to agree it is a beautiful place. Dan and his
partner got the money from Burpee several years ago.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 05-06-2006, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub

I wonder why? The climate is like night and day. I'm pretty glad
they'll be on the east coast...though sad for you.

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 06:20:59 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

Heronswood closing and moving to Pennsylvania.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...y=her onswood

[IMG] code is On

Jiu San Bonsai: Sad News... Louis F. Carbone Bonsai 1 09-04-2007 05:35 PM
Sad news for me Nick Cramer Ponds 10 15-03-2007 02:22 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
Sad news... All my plants are dead! MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 6 18-04-2003 01:08 AM
Sad News. [email protected] Ponds 0 03-03-2003 11:54 PM