Old 17-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Your Name Here

Default Clematis Vine

Last month I bought two Jackman Clematis vines in 2 gallon containers.
One is doing fine, but the other, planted four feet away, has lost two of
the three main stems the plant had when I bought it. I've never had
vines before, so before I panic and replace the troublesome vine, I need
to know whether all future growth will come from that one stem only, or
will additional stems start growing from the root ball? If you want, you
can e-mail me at Thanks!

Old 17-06-2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:13:57 -0500, Your Name Here
wrote:

Last month I bought two Jackman Clematis vines in 2 gallon containers.
One is doing fine, but the other, planted four feet away, has lost two of
the three main stems the plant had when I bought it. I've never had
vines before, so before I panic and replace the troublesome vine, I need
to know whether all future growth will come from that one stem only, or
will additional stems start growing from the root ball? If you want, you
can e-mail me at Thanks!

Clematis takes its time to establish itself, maybe 2 or 3 years. In
the meantime, keep the surface mulched with compost. Do not prune.
They appreciate some kind of trellis for support.
Old 18-06-2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hal

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 20:13:38 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Clematis takes its time to establish itself, maybe 2 or 3 years. In
the meantime, keep the surface mulched with compost. Do not prune.
They appreciate some kind of trellis for support.

Thanks, I set one out under a trellis about a month ago and noticed it
has grow about 2 inches. I was expecting more, but I can wait.

Regards,

Hal
Old 18-06-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Your Name Here

Thanks for the info, but I guess my primary question was not answered. Will
more stems eventually grow out of the root ball or will all future growth
spring from the only stem remaining on this plant? Remember, I have no
experience with this or any other type of vine.

In article zDXkg.49046$ZW3.7245@dukeread04, domain
says...

Old 18-06-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Your Name Here wrote in

Thanks for the info, but I guess my primary question was
not answered. Will more stems eventually grow out of the
root ball or will all future growth spring from the only
stem remaining on this plant? Remember, I have no
experience with this or any other type of vine.

it should grow more stems from the root ball each year. you
might want to baby it a bit this summer, keeping it watered &
mulched so it doesn't dry out & get further stressed.
i've bought some pretty sad looking close-out clematis & had
them survive. it may take it a few years to recover & catch up
with the other one though.
lee

Old 18-06-2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Köi-Lö

Do keep its root system as cool and shaded as possible......