Old 26-06-2006, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default Suprise Tenant

Looked up today and spotted a nest at the top of one of my larger semi-dwarf
apples. There was a 'robin size' black colored bird sitting in it, but I did
not approach closely to verify the species. I'm sure the nest is rather new,
say within the last two weeks, or so. Question is should I try moving the nest,
or just let it be? The tree is a Hudson Golden Gem with apples that should be
ready for picking in September. I will have to go in there at that time to pick
the apples. If I chase away the mother bird now, and move the nest to some
other high place like the top of my shed, will she find the nest again and not
desert it?

Sherwin D.

Old 26-06-2006, 07:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

sherwindu wrote:
[...]

The first thing you need to do is identify the kind of bird you're dealing
with. Some fairly common types of birds are Federally protected, and doing
anything to disturb them may not be an option unless you like committing
felonies.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 26-06-2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

sherwindu said:

Looked up today and spotted a nest at the top of one of my larger
semi-dwarf apples. There was a 'robin size' black colored bird sitting in it,
but I did not approach closely to verify the species. I'm sure the nest is
rather new, say within the last two weeks, or so. Question is should I try
moving the nest, or just let it be?

Let it be. The bird family will be gone before long. Most songbirds
will incubate less than 2 weeks and the babies will leave the nest maybe
10 or 11 days after hatching.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 26-06-2006, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Freckles

"sherwindu" wrote in message
[...]

Why do you want to move the nest?

They will be gone long before time for you to pick your apples.

If you attempt to move the nest now most birds will simply desert it.

Old 26-06-2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

sherwindu wrote in
:

Looked up today and spotted a nest at the top of one of my
larger semi-dwarf apples. There was a 'robin size' black
colored bird sitting in it, but I did not approach closely
to verify the species. I'm sure the nest is rather new,
say within the last two weeks, or so. Question is should I
try moving the nest, or just let it be? The tree is a
Hudson Golden Gem with apples that should be ready for
picking in September. I will have to go in there at that
time to pick the apples. If I chase away the mother bird
now, and move the nest to some other high place like the
top of my shed, will she find the nest again and not desert
it?

no. and she & her chicks will be long gone before the apples
are ready, so don't worry about it.

lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Old 26-06-2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"sherwindu" wrote in message
[...]

Please leave her be. She will abandon the nest if you move it. She and her
brood will be gone long before September.

Old 27-06-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Fat chance of doing that. All I can see from the ground is a head sticking up
above
the nest. Putting a ladder nearby could frighten the bird and possibly cause
the nest
to come tumbling down. I have an active bird feeder and have not seen any
exotic
or federally protected birds, but you never know. I assume the bird I see is a
female, and I never see it moving from it's position. If there is an
accompanying male, I have never seen it. Since it has to feed, maybe I will get
lucky and see it out
of the nest.

Old 27-06-2006, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

I guess that's the answer I was looking for. I was not sure about the timing of when
they would leave the nest.

Old 28-06-2006, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mary Beth

"sherwindu" wrote in message
I guess that's the answer I was looking for. I was not sure about the
timing of when
they would leave the nest.

Yup Freckles is right, leave it alone,!!!!
They'll be LONG gone by the time you need to get in there. Robins, and many
others, usually hatch around now, and once I raised a baby robin, tossed out
from nest for encephalitis, as per vet. Fixed it up with steroids and
antibiotics and it took me 6 weeks to feed, teach it to fly and find it's
own worms. My GR Rudy dog helped it dig for worms for weeks, hadda stop
that! Had teeny holes everywhere. The Robin finally got back with the 'clan'
and they migrated. Saw him again the following years! HE always flew down to
my finger and visited! For the next four years that I lived in that area.
They live to be about 17 or so I think, maybe a bit less, so I'm sure he's
still there. They do return to the same tree/area that they were hatched.
Was lots of fun, but I'm liscensed to do so, you can get in trouble for just
about ALL wild birds, don't have to be songbirds nor endangered, merely a
wild bird. It takes a LOT of time and commitment to 'adopt' a baby. Was a
lot of work, had to give up a lot of my time and life to that little guy,
was worth it in the end, watching him fly away with his 'clan'. (Can't say
it was his direct family as they had pushed him out for the disease.)

Whatever you do, NEVER ever, ever feed a baby bird bread soaked in milk!!!
This will kill them.
I keep 'baby bird food mix' handy at all times, and keep freshening up with
a new bag every once in awhile. Just in case. Even the baby robin needed
that before he could eat worms, as his mother would normally munch them up
for him, and I just wasn't that close.

MaryBeth