Old 02-08-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default a good oscillating sprinkler?

Hottest driest summer in a long time and today the Nelson brass oscillating
sprinkler I bought last summer just died. Were the cog wheel is the heart
shaped machination keeps popping out causing the arm to stop oscillating.
Any way to fix it or just bite the bullet and get a new one?
Any one have a suggestion on a good brand?
TIA.

--
Elaine in GA

Old 03-08-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Elaine" wrote in message

Hottest driest summer in a long time and today the Nelson brass
oscillating sprinkler I bought last summer just died. Were the
cog
wheel is the heart shaped machination keeps popping out causing
the
arm to stop oscillating. Any way to fix it or just bite the
bullet
and get a new one? Any one have a suggestion on a good brand?
TIA.

I like my Gilmour Model 9836Z found he
http://www.gilmour.com/Watering_Hose...Oscillator.asp

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the reply Travis. I like the coverage (3,600 sqft) you get with
the Gilmour. Did you order on-line
or find it in a store? I ran down to Pike's nursery and picked up a Dramm
http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=61
it only gets 3,000sqft coverage. I probably paid to much to ($40) and also
got a on/off timer. Same price for it then I get home
and can't find a 9-volt battery!! Hasn't been a good day I'm afraid.
I had to do something fairly quickly. Everything is so dry down here right
now. Some places getting to much rain some not enough as usual.
I planted allot of perennials this spring and they are really suffering in
this heat high 90's ) and no rain to amount to anything.
I have lost my mountain laurel already I think. I hate to see my water bill
for this month...ouch.
What little we are getting can't make it through the trees to the ground
surface just gets the street and driveway wet.
Next year I am going to look into setting up a drip irrigation system of
some sort. Getting tired of nursing a sprinkler and hand watering for sure.
My garden is 15,000 sq ft.It will be something to plan this winter when
there is nothing to do outside.
All the plants at Pike's looked so sad. They had allot of 50% off but at
their price it was still to much to ask for the puny little things.
Tomorrow I will practice my rain dance and if you are getting to much how
'bout sending some down?

Elaine in GA
Zone 7b

Old 03-08-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Everything made by Gilmore comes with a Lifetime Warranty and I've
used it with great success.

I don't think oscillating sprinklers are the best way to water,
though. The absolute best way to water is to use that cheap, yellow
ring that has no moving parts at all. Cost is a dollar or two. It
allows for very deep watering trees, but the problem is it needs to be
moved frequently.

There is a well respected arborist Don Gardener who recommends
watering trees with this method.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Every spring I buy a cheap $6.00 plastic one, they last the summer and into
the fall. I've had one now and then last into the next summer until the
inner workings of them ware away. And out here they bake and freeze in the
High Mojave Desert.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

Old 03-08-2006, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Elaine" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply Travis. I like the coverage (3,600 sqft)
you
get with the Gilmour. Did you order on-line
or find it in a store?

I bought mine at Home Depot but don't remember what I paid.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-08-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Its been years since I had a sprinkler, but I seem to recall that there
is a screw that keeps it from popping out. I would guess your screw
fell out. If you see a hole without a screw, you could probably take
the unit to a hardware store and get a replacement screw. I think the
screws fall out because they cannot be tightened all the way, as it
would bind the parts.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:13:43 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

"Elaine" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply Travis. I like the coverage (3,600 sqft)
you
get with the Gilmour. Did you order on-line
or find it in a store?

I bought mine at Home Depot but don't remember what I paid.

Actually, whenever I buy mine I dig through the shelves to see if any
of the product I'm buying has a promotion. For instance, the Gilmore
hose with a Lifetime Warranty came with a free, in-line 6 hour timer.
That alone was 15 dollars.

If you do buy Lifetime Warranty products make sure you don't have to
send it back to the vendor, but can have it replaced with or without a
recipt at the retailer. Now, what I do too is staple the recipt
directly to the cardboard which indicates the warranty and I file it.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yep I saved the cardboard with the receipt and filed away but I do have to
send it to the company for replacement according to salesperson @ store.

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b
"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:13:43 GMT, "Travis M."
wrote:

et

Old 04-08-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Call the manufacturer. The store may be full of crap.

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:38:35 -0400, "Elaine"
wrote:

Yep I saved the cardboard with the receipt and filed away but I do have to
send it to the company for replacement according to salesperson @ store.

Elaine in Ga
Zone 7b
.. .
wrote:

"Elaine" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply Travis. I like the coverage (3,600 sqft)
you
get with the Gilmour. Did you order on-line
or find it in a store?

I bought mine at Home Depot but don't remember what I paid.

Actually, whenever I buy mine I dig through the shelves to see if any
of the product I'm buying has a promotion. For instance, the Gilmore
hose with a Lifetime Warranty came with a free, in-line 6 hour timer.
That alone was 15 dollars.

If you do buy Lifetime Warranty products make sure you don't have to
send it back to the vendor, but can have it replaced with or without a
recipt at the retailer. Now, what I do too is staple the recipt
directly to the cardboard which indicates the warranty and I file it.

[IMG] code is On

Gear driven sprinkler versus impact sprinkler MiamiCuse Lawns 2 11-11-2008 02:40 AM
Stopped oscillating gary Lawns 1 04-04-2007 04:47 PM
Need A Good mechanical/biological pond Filter Which ones are good? DD DDD Ponds 10 03-04-2005 07:15 AM
sprinkler systems BigDaDDY Lawns 3 08-01-2004 09:45 PM