Old 14-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Peter B.

Default Fragrant plant?

I live in North Carolina. When in the mountains mostly and even in
the Piedmont, I often smell a very fragrant plant, but I cannot find
it to identify it.

Whatever it is, it is fragrant enough that I can smell it in my car
when the nearest plant is two-hundred feet away. I first notice it in
the spring, but it appears to persist even into late summer.

I know that this is not much to go on, but I though that maybe
someone here would have some experience with fragrant plants in the
Carolinas.

TIA - Pete

Remove the "X" to send e-mail.
Old 14-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Cereoid-XXX

Look up at the trees.

Its Magnolia blossom time!

Old 14-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Purchgdss

I live in North Carolina. When in the mountains mostly and even in
the Piedmont, I often smell a very fragrant plant, but I cannot find
it to identify it.

Whatever it is, it is fragrant enough that I can smell it in my car
when the nearest plant is two-hundred feet away. I first notice it in
the spring, but it appears to persist even into late summer.

I know that this is not much to go on, but I though that maybe
someone here would have some experience with fragrant plants in the
Carolinas.

TIA - Pete

Pretty sure this isn't what you're looking for, but the fuschia 4 o'clocks
around my house ENVELOP the entire area with their wonderful scent. I noticed
that the mixed (fuschia & white) or just white ones don't have the heavenly
scent of the fuschia.

Makes sitting outside in the summer and my night-time slug hunting so much more
pleasant!

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 14-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Phisherman

Some locust trees,especially the ones with thorny branches, put out
clusters of flowers (looking somthing like hanging grapes) that are
very fragrant. We have two such wild trees on the front lawn in east
Tennessee. Wild honey suckle is also very fragrant and the blooms
continue for a few months.

Old 14-04-2003, 01:20 PM
KrisHur

I don't know about down south but up here (NY) when the wild rose blooms its
scent carries. It would probably be blooming now down there, still several
weeks away for us.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY