Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered User

Default Fragrant Indoor Plant

Hi. Firstly, I'm not sure that I have the right forum here, if not apologies.

I am a Caretaker with a locked cupboard for most of the day....no daylight. It can have a musty smell so I would like to put a fragrant plant in there. Trouble is as I said, its dark pretty much most of the time. Is there a plant out there that I could use? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/5/11 3:17 AM, fithawk wrote:
Hi. Firstly, I'm not sure that I have the right forum here, if not
apologies.

I am a Caretaker with a locked cupboard for most of the day....no
daylight. It can have a musty smell so I would like to put a fragrant
plant in there. Trouble is as I said, its dark pretty much most of the
time. Is there a plant out there that I could use? Thanks.

Instead of a plant -- which surely will not thrive in the dark -- try a
pomander or spice sachet. A Google search on either should result in
many "hits". For pomander, try
http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-161. For spice
sachet, try http://www.herbcompanion.com/health/spice-sachet-blend.aspx.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

fithawk wrote:
Hi. Firstly, I'm not sure that I have the right forum here, if not
apologies.

I am a Caretaker with a locked cupboard for most of the day....no
daylight. It can have a musty smell so I would like to put a fragrant
plant in there. Trouble is as I said, its dark pretty much most of the
time. Is there a plant out there that I could use? Thanks.

No plant will grow in the dark. Could you leave it under a light at least 8
hours a day? If so there are some that will grow in low light although this
excludes many that smell sweet from flowers as (generally) flowers take more
light than leaves.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

"fithawk" wrote in message

Hi. Firstly, I'm not sure that I have the right forum here, if not
apologies.

I am a Caretaker with a locked cupboard for most of the day....no
daylight. It can have a musty smell so I would like to put a fragrant
plant in there. Trouble is as I said, its dark pretty much most of the
time. Is there a plant out there that I could use? Thanks.

--
fithawk

I like the "Stargazer" Asian lily, but not sure of its light requirements.

Steve

Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
No plant will grow in the dark.
But there are some which will have a jolly good try. I have had bindweed growing in the underfloor, and managing to squeeze between the tongue-and-groove floorboard gaps to show itself inside fitted wardrobes. Some also came into the adjacent room through a ventilation grille. Eventually I had to have the floor replaced in first room, and the amount of plant I found growing under the floor was quite surprising. Its origin would have been with plants growing in outdoors, on the other side of the wall, but I had killed all that off some years before.

[IMG] code is On

Most fragrant plant for baskets/patio pots? Mentalguy2k8 United Kingdom 4 27-04-2009 10:22 PM
Fragrant plant? Peter B. Gardening 5 14-04-2003 01:20 PM
Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation Debabrata Ghosh Roses 21 03-02-2003 03:06 AM
Fragrant roses Sunsprite Radika Kesavan Roses 5 02-02-2003 06:38 AM
Sunsprite Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation Radika Kesavan Roses 8 02-02-2003 06:27 AM