Old 30-08-2006, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default These lawn mushrooms are no fun guys!

You pour a cup of morning coffee and glance out over your lawn. Wait a
minute! What are those little white bumps? They weren't there last
night. If you've ever had that happen to you, you can sympathize with
the frustration felt by this reader...

QUESTION: "What can I do to stop the growth of mushrooms in my
backyard? I have to remove them sometimes twice weekly." - Dorothy
Branch

ANSWER: Mushrooms (or toadstools) are often a sign that your lawn has
insufficient drainage and is staying wet. Addressing the drainage
problem is the best first step.

Simply picking the mushrooms won't get rid of the problem. The
mushrooms are the reproductive (or fruiting) structures of certain
kinds of fungi that are present below the surface of the lawn. The caps
contain millions of microscopic spores that are wind-carried until they
find a favorable site in which to grow. They then send out long
filaments deep into the soil below your lawn.

An excellent online resource is this publication from the University of
California http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74100.html and
you can click on a direct link to that report when you find this column
under the Plant Man heading at my Web site www.landsteward.org

Even though picking the 'shrooms won't do much to prevent the
underlying problem, the primary reasons for removing mushrooms from
lawns are to keep them away from children and pets and to improve the
lawn's appearance.

Always bear in mind that some species are poisonous and you should
never eat mushrooms picked from your lawn unless you are a fungi expert
and you are certain they are edible! It's a good idea to keep a pair
of dedicated mushroom gloves handy if removing them really is a
frequent chore. This will help to keep the spores off your hands so you
don't ingest them or pass them along when you touch Fido or the kids.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a column titled "Turn wet land into
spectacular bog garden." Recently I received the following e-mail
from a reader: COMMENT: "In light of the concern with rapidly
disappearing wetlands and the recent Supreme Court decision concerning
filling wetlands as a possible violation of the Clean Water Act, I
think you might at least have mentioned wetlands protection and [its]
importance. The Corps of Engineers is responsible for monitoring and
enforcing activities involving wetlands. I realize you were probably
thinking about rather small tracts; still it may not take much
disturbance such as excavating soil to come within the terms of
wetlands protection." - John Watson

ANSWER: Good point, John. I am a strong supporter of wetlands
protection and I'm pleased to take this opportunity to remind readers
about the importance of wetlands preservation. As you note, I was
specifically talking about those small patches of lawn or garden that
are simply "wet land" rather than "wetlands." Again, you can
refer to that column by visiting my Web site.

Here's another reader comment that you might find helpful:

COMMENT: "I would like to pass on some information to other
gardeners. We have tried to plant a weeping cherry tree three times and
every time it grows well and all of a sudden all the leaves fall off
and it dies. We were told to use Bayer Systematic Insect Spray.
Hopefully this is not premature but it is doing fantastic and so far
the cherry tree borer has stayed away from it. I also used it on the
crepe myrtles and no longer have the "sootie mold" on the leaves which
comes from the aphids. Hope this helps someone." - Bob Steffon

ANSWER: I have not tried that particular product so I have no personal
experience, but I'm glad to know it seems to be working for you. I
always like to receive ideas and recommendations from readers and then
pass them along.

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to and for resources and
additional information, including archived columns, visit
www.landsteward.org

Old 30-08-2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in message
oups.com...
You pour a cup of morning coffee and glance out over your lawn. Wait a
minute! What are those little white bumps? They weren't there last
night. If you've ever had that happen to you, you can sympathize with
the frustration felt by this reader...

QUESTION: "What can I do to stop the growth of mushrooms in my
backyard? I have to remove them sometimes twice weekly." - Dorothy
Branch

"This reader" needs to get a life, a job, or a hobby.

Old 30-08-2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Good grief, are you serious? Do you really care?

Old 30-08-2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day earl,

for me mate that just means i have good healthy soil with oodles of
organic matter in it, the mushies are there doing their bit to help in
the break down process and they will of course get fewer and fewer.

so unless they are the edible ones that can be picked i'd either leave
them be as they don't last long after the pop out, or just go kick
them over and let them return to the soil as organic matter.

On 30 Aug 2006 09:09:53 -0700, "
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 31-08-2006, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Does anyone have a favorite book title, for wild mushroom
identification? I'm often around where there are wild mushrooms, but
have never collected any, because I don't know how to tell the edible
ones from the poisonous.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 31-08-2006, 09:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote in message
oups.com...
You pour a cup of morning coffee and glance out over your lawn. Wait a
minute! What are those little white bumps? They weren't there last
night. If you've ever had that happen to you, you can sympathize with
the frustration felt by this reader...

They are nature's golfballs, get a five iron and get some excercise.

David

Old 31-08-2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Box turtles like mushrooms. If you live by a field or woods in which box
turtles live, throw the mushrooms you pick off the lawn there and perhaps
a wandering turtle will have lunch.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 01-09-2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day myrl,

maybe visit your local library they are bounbd to have a book, but a
word to the wise after reading the book if you aren't sure then don't
eat them. if you can try and find a mushroom/fungii club or seek out
gardening type clubs so you can learn from and get first hand
information from people who gather and eat mushrooms.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

All fungi is not bad. Most are not.

--
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

--
KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!
Why? See his score card here
oups.com...

Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

Does anyone have a favorite book title, for wild mushroom
identification? I'm often around where there are wild mushrooms, but
have never collected any, because I don't know how to tell the edible
ones from the poisonous.

You are in Sacramento? For your area, the best books are the
two by David Arora.

This one is a pocket guide, with many color photos:
http://tinyurl.com/ozx7a

This one is more encyclopedic: http://tinyurl.com/pahof

I recommend those in particular not only because they are
excellent books, but because the mushroom flora varies from
place to place, and they are written by a local expert.

The Audubon guide by Lincoff is also good, but Arora is better
for your area.

BEWARE of those generic, large-format, glossy mushroom books
sometimes found in bookstores. Many of them are translations
of European books and, while there is a good deal of overlap,
you would be much better off with a local book.

Finally, I suggest you join (or at least go walking with) a
local mycological club. Such clubs usually have a published
schedule. Though it can be very pleasurable, mushroom picking
is a risky business for most who try to learn it alone.
Mushroom ID is no harder than tree ID, but the stakes are
higher, and some experienced help is useful for the beginner.

Mike
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Old 12-09-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Here's a great fungus site here in Wisconsin:
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/. Even if you don't id the ones you
have, you'll enjoy checking out the site.
Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Old 12-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:

Does anyone have a favorite book title, for wild mushroom
identification? I'm often around where there are wild mushrooms, but
have never collected any, because I don't know how to tell the edible
ones from the poisonous.

This one is one of the best ones on line covers European and North American fungi

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
Old 13-09-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

lol Hi David.. I never thought to practice my swing with them. I'll
have to give that a try, there's this one neighbour's dog I'd love to
send some peaceful warnings to ;-)

David Hare-Scott wrote:
oups.com...